• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Performance damper(aka voodoo thing) test and review.

I would sure bet it helps alot with the longevity of the chassis from cracking or loose rivets. Long term results will be the real story on these performance dampners.

If someone has a set to get rid of, ill put them on my 7.3 powerstroke diesel, if they work i should be able too tell then

I performed a test of Yamaha's vibration damper on my Arctic Cat 7000 snowmobile. My curiosity got the best of me so I mounted the dampers to my machine.
This damper is basically a gas shock with a internal spring to counter the extend force from gas pressure. After reading Yamaha's patent it is easy to see how this gas shock mounted inline on a cars strut brace will dampen the high amplitude vibration between the strut towers. The snowmobile division took the same gas shock and mounted both ends to the same solid frame member. The gas shock does not extend or retract a perceivable amount with this mounting arrangement. I had to see for myself if it could actually dampen vibration in a manner unforeseen to me.
At the beginning of the season two years ago I mounted the dampers (part #K7R-2110K-00-00) in the same manner as on the Yamaha. I did not jump to conclusions at that time. Early February after riding 3000 miles I pulled the dampers while doing a before and after test ride on my rough frozen lake. On that day under those conditions I did not perceive a difference. At the end of the season with 2000 additional miles after damper removal I did not experience a operating condition that I could perceive a difference.

I'm not the one who's so far away when I feel the snake bite enter my vein, never did I want to be here again and don't remember why I came.

VooDoo...VooDoo...VooDoo...Voodoooo!!!

Sorry guys, I had the song in my head and I couldn't resist :)

Thanks for the feedback DVW and the summary of your testing. I like forward thinking of the Yamaha engineers and trying new concepts and ideas. So this might not be a major noticeable breakthrough. I am all for new innovations.

first off i found that they help i have major shoulder problems and Nerv problems in both arms and it did help me also i found that my sled turn corners better and the feeling in the handle bars is better for me.. i love them i looking at buying a sidewinder and would put those on right away.

I rode the first 1000km with out them and experienced alot of numbness in my hands which is normal for me from years of cutting sheetmetal! After I put them on I had far less, almost nothing for numbness in the next 3000km. Maybe after breaking it just smoothed out?

Guys this is not the sort of thing you can tell by seat of the pants.

It decreases vibration that allows every part -mechanical and electrical -to have less stress and a presumed lower failure rate and longer life. Many very highly engineered cars and other vehicles use them, there are whole divisions of engineering teams who study NVH (noise, vibration and harshness ). I humbly submit that people whose livelihoods depend upon it have data to prove its value.

Now I will not be running off to buy and install one but I find it funny that the TYrs known to love their sleds for fit, finish and reliability due to superior engineering are so quick to criticize some thing the function of which is hard to appreciate.

My 2 cents

Guys this is not the sort of thing you can tell by seat of the pants.

It decreases vibration that allows every part -mechanical and electrical -to have less stress and a presumed lower failure rate and longer life. Many very highly engineered cars and other vehicles use them, there are whole divisions of engineering teams who study NVH (noise, vibration and harshness ). I humbly submit that people whose livelihoods depend upon it have data to prove its value.

Now I will not be running off to buy and install one but I find it funny that the TYrs known to love their sleds for fit, finish and reliability due to superior engineering are so quick to criticize some thing the function of which is hard to appreciate.

My 2 cents
Ok but what is one of the first things the car crowd does to the cars to race them? They take all that stuff off and put stiffer engine mounts and strut tower braces in them. That is done to win races. My Viper is mostly a big mile trail machine not a racer so I do appreciate if it would help. But others including me would also like a lighter more powerful faster sled from Yamaha even if it means a few years and miles lost because of it. The Dampner fails on all accounts for that.

Good point Yamadoo. The engineers at Yamaha must have data to show some kind of positive results.
Think about it...... they put Electronic Power Steering on a snowmobile. I was skeptical of that when it came out too. After riding an 11 Apex for the past 4 seasons I can tell you it makes a world of difference at the end of a long day of riding. To me that was a Major breakthrough in snowmobiling and exclusive only to Yamaha.

Thanks for the feedback DVW and the summary of your testing. I like forward thinking of the Yamaha engineers and trying new concepts and ideas. So this might not be a major noticeable breakthrough. I am all for new innovations.
Like many of us I identify with a company that tries new things. The original patent describes a method to dampen the considerable vibration between the strut towers on a car. The intent was to improve grip at the traction limits. In this application the shock absorber (vibration damper) extends and retracts a considerable amount. The mounting arrangement on the snowmobile prevents extend and retract. I had hoped that a movable element within the shock would give another claimed benefit. That claimed benefit was perceived vibration reduction reflected by a more solid feel. The funny thing is that Yamaha snowmobiles have always had a more solid feel. I was hoping to add a more solid feel to my Arctic Cat.

I just watched the vid... and I could feel the difference from here! No really I can see it helping the condition of a frame and attached parts over time. Are you really going to feel it? Not likely as Chris said experts in the field of this tech MIGHT....dampers have been around on many things for a long time the just have not been this refined .

Back