• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer for wife?

firefighter

Veteran
Ok need some advice here guys we looked at a phazer gt yesterday for my wife and was just wandering how the gt model is 2011.She says my vector is to heavy for her she rides a 97 skidoo so I was thinking the phazer would be lighter for her.I want to stay with a 4 stroke and yami also.Any imput would be appreiciated thanks.

I would imagine it would be a perfect fit, as it is the lightest 4 stroke on the market. I know from what little time I got to ride ours it was a lot of fun, very nimble.

we have both a vector and a phazer, but they are mountain sleds. And my wife loves the phazer. She refuses to ride the vector. LOL, As long as she doesn't need to be on a fast sled she will probably like it. they are quick, but not much top end.

The phazer really rides lighter than it actually is too. Very easy to manuever.

What kind of riding will she be doing? We only trail ride and so far and my wife loves it. She likes the wider handle bars and the more stand-up rider position compared to our older conventional sleds and doesn't get tired as soon.
The two older boys are split, the 17 yr old (more reserved) prefers the sit-down older sleds. The 15 yr old (wild child) loves the Phazer for it's spirited feel. I'm still not 100% sold on it as I have yet to spend a lot of time on it and haven't had time to drive out its quirks. So far, I find I have to drive it more aggressively than my older sleds at higher speeds and lean forward into the corners to keep the inside ski down. Once I got this down, I was able to keep my usual speed up.

Make sure you try one out as they are also a little loud. Mine is a 2007 and the newer ones may be quieter though.

i wouldnt recommend it. phazer in stock configuration darts, is tippy and doesn't have much traction. id put her on smaller skidoo if that's what she's used too.

woolyviper said:
i wouldnt recommend it. phazer in stock configuration darts, is tippy and doesn't have much traction. id put her on smaller skidoo if that's what she's used too.

I can only speak for mine but I have yet to see any darting and there is so much traction the front of the sled lifts off the ground if I stand up and mash the fun flipper. If you find them tippy, adjust the stabilizer bar bracket for more transfer. I have yet to do this on mine.

This is definitely a rider active (read: lean into corners) type of sled at higher speeds. At our speed limit of 50 km/hr or 30 mph, this sled need nothing more than a thumb on the throttle and hands to steer, no need for body english.

That being said, Ski-Doo has a new 60 hp ACE engine and a very capable chassis to drop it in.
IMG_0117.jpg

Bought an 08 RTX with no snow to ride then, started reading this forum and then I had concerns. I moved the ski bushings out, placed shims on the rear of the rubbers, tightened the front strap one position tighter than stock, backed off the front of rear shock spring preload and it already had Woody duals on the stock skis. This sled turns way better than I ever could get my Rage to handle and only lifts a ski when I get too lazy to move my weight and lean ! Altough, I never rode the Phazer until after making these changes all I can say is this one fun and yes, stable sled !
Very happy with the decreased back shift of Ulmers clutch kit !

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming! As this is why I love this site actually talk to people who have the sled and here pros and cons before purchasing a sled.My wife rides her sled at aprox 40mph and is always riding on the trail.From what I have been hearing should I be concerned about the sleds handling at that speed also I would have the track picked.Thanks

Under 40mph on trails I think only handling issue will be darting.Spacers outside and limiter tighter by one should be plenty for tippiness.Pilots,dual runners and or shimming gets rid of most darting.

I have both Phazer GT and Venture GT. My wife prefers the Venture GT. She only weights about 115lb. Venture is much more comfortable with the back rest and the engine noise is lower.
Phazer GT can be noisy, with higher pitch engine/gear noise. I can not listen to music with earphone.
I'm also looking at the new Skidoo's ACE engine. It looks like a great beginner's sled. but it's only rated 60HP. Phazer is 80HP. but the quietness of the engine is a big bonus.

I agree with people above. This sled is a rider active sled at higher speeds, or in more complex trails. This sled really is like no other you will ever ride, handling wise. I think a clutch kit, and an upgraded get of skis would make this a pretty nice sled for your wife. At least this way, you can stay with the 4-stroke yamaha that you wanted.

The sled can be stable when it wants to be, but also can be tippy, so it takes some getting used to. It took my girlfriend a while also to get accustomed to the excessive engine breaking, which tends to scare her from time to time, so i think a clutch kit is an order. (possibly a track extension too) Apparently the help a lot with handling.

My girlfriend started riding this year on the 07 Phazer. It has woody's duallies on stock skis. I also installed an Ulmer clutch kit to smooth it out and take away some back shift. She loves the sled.
Proper setup will make a Phazer a great sled for the lady!

If your looking at a 2011 I'd personally wait till the end of February to see what Yamaha has up there sleeve for next year. Alto of rumors about a TRUE cruiser sled in the Phazer HP range and seeing how the Phazer is 5 years old I would expect some tweaking to go on in 2012. If you want the current Phazer I'd look for a new leftover 09' or 10' for a quite a bit less than an 11'.

Do a search for "phazer too cold for wife?" there was a lot of feedback in that thread.

Back