• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer Saggy Butt

The stock springs are too soft. But they are definatly not junk. FX springs are very pricey, and a little stiffer....

There is such thing as sled sag and rider sag and its supposed to be there, this is how you set it to your body weight with the center shock, look it up.

If you have alot of static sag I would take the shaft out of the pivot that connects to the famous link.If its bent even a hair it will cause alot of sag.

I am having the same problem so far yamaha is telling me to go piss up a rope.
if this normal then why does the sled same year and model not have the sag.

I will wait a little longer but not much before I have let the world know how yamaha treats there loyal customers
this is sad because i have had so many yamahas for so many years.

right now I am on hold and have been with corp yamaha for like 8 minutes.
oh boy
doc

So much negativity! Anyhow it is probably related to the link or bent shaft near the link, as cannon mentioned above.
Best of luck with Yamaha. They generally fix things up, just gotta play their game, thats all.

I have a brand new 08 RTX with only 235 miles on it and I am experiencing the same sag issue. I can't imagine that my shaft is already bent. I haven't been jumping or riding it in any ruff conditions.

Well, with winter coming I finally got around to trying to determine why the back end of my Phazer had so much static sag. Just to recap, my sled had about 7" of static sag. Sit on the sled and get off and it would stay down about 7+ inches at the rear bumper and had ABSOLUTELY NO REBOUND. I installed the Yamaha racer springs hoping that it would help, no dice!

So, after yanking the skid, I found that the upper bushings on the front bracket mounting the skid to the tunnel were shot. I mean, wore completly through! The inner rod of the mounting point at the front of the skid was completely dry. The manual says 2500 miles for grease intervals. My sled has 2150 miles and I brought it in for the first service at the dealership at 550 miles. I had to pump alot of grease into the rest of the zerks before grease came out the bushings. WTF! I can't prove it but I would be willing to bet the dealership took my money and neglected my sled! Never pay someone to do something that you can do yourself. At least if you do it yourself you know it's done done right!

Now for the report, I couldn't find anything bent. I even pulled the inner rods from the linkage pivots and rolled them on a flat surface just to be sure. After greasing everything up, there didn't seem to be any binding with the skid out of the sled. So, I decided to slap the skid back in and see if there was any difference. I can't believe it, but it magically seems like it's back to normal (I even stopped by the Yamaha shop today to compare to a brand new phazer)! However, I didn't torque everything back down to spec since I need to pull the skid back out to install fresh bushings and put on new hyfax. In fact, I'll probably replace all the bushings since I'll have it apart. Anyhow, I'm skeptical, but for now it seems like the problem may be solved. I can sit on the sled, bounce it, and the suspension is actually working again! Get off and the rear end comes right back up. I now have about 2-3" inches of static sag. I'll post the final results in the next week or so. I'm also going to be sure to grease my rear suspension pivots every 500-1000 miles.

Thanks for everyone who posted and helped out with suggestions and ideas. If you search for "skid removal" in the phazer general forum, I uploaded the exploded view of the rear skid. I also wanted to say the pulling the skid is pretty darn easy if you have someone there helping you. I'll try to take some pictures and write up a quick synopsis on the process when I have time. There is NO WAY I would pay a shop to do this work now that I've done it once (i.e. install hyfax).

Thanks again to everyone, these forums are GREAT!

--Tom

Oh ya, LET IT SNOW!!!

I did that ProX mod to mine, and lowered the front arm 7/8", and greased the skid all up.

I have no more sag without a rider, when I hop on, it sags about 3" then if I get off, it rebounds all the way back. Feels much more plush at the top of the travel there.

Haven't ridden the sled with this mod yet though, it's just sitting in the shop.

It's all the rage to have this done on a PRO-X though, (accordiong to 99% of Pro-X owners @ HCS.com)

This is a base model with junk shocks.

Back