• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

phazer starting

rjm

just got my phazer last week and it takes about 30 seconds of contiuous cranking for it to fire up. once it starts and warms up it will fire right up, but if it sits for a day or two it takes a while to fire up anyone else having this issue? for fuel injected it just doesn't start like my rtx does

Isnt cranking the engine for that long kinda hard on a starter?
I mean, they usually tell you not to crank continuously for more than 10 seconds.
Also, when its -30 outside is the battery gonna have enough juice to crank the engine for that long?
I just cant believe that Yamaha sent these sleds out like this and considered it to be normal and acceptable.

It likely isn't 30 seconds that you're cranking it for. It does seem to take a while longer when the motor is cold, but I believe it's due to the fact it takes several revolutions before the decompression mechanism kicks in. I don't think it's anything to be worried about.

Octane said:
I just cant believe that Yamaha sent these sleds out like this and considered it to be normal and acceptable.

Octane, relax dude! You make it sound like this thing is junk. Yamaha has alot riding on this sled and everything will work as promised! Have you even been around a Phazer yet or do you speak of something you have no experience with?

my mtn lite kinda does this. i've started it twice since i got it home from the dealer (2 weeks ago). ran some sta-bil through it and topped off the tank. i'm gonna start it up in a couple of weeks and i'll let you know what happens. i don't think its going to be an issue but i'm also concerned about COLD temps. we'll see soon.

There's no way it should take 30 seconds for a fuel injected engine to start. 3 seconds is more like it. I agree with the turn the key and wait a couple seconds method, but 30 seconds is going to kill batteries at -30 and it can't be good for longevity of the starter.

i have tried turning the key till the pump stops and then tried starting it same thing also tried cycling the fuel pump 2-3 times same thing i hope its just needs to be broke in i will find out this winter. yamaha makes an excellent product so i'm not to worried just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue

These machines are designed to start in a cold climate. Trying to start it when it is so hot would cause the FI to lean out. Wait till it gets colder then go start it. I bet it fires up right away then.

Srxspec said:
Octane, relax dude! You make it sound like this thing is junk. Yamaha has alot riding on this sled and everything will work as promised! Have you even been around a Phazer yet or do you speak of something you have no experience with?
To be fair, unless you are a Yamaha engineer, I dont think any of us have much experience with a Phazer yet. I have been around Phazers (rode on at the Lake Geneva, WI sno-x race last March) but nothing that I would call signifigant.
Im not freaking out (I did buy an '07 Phazer FX this past week) but Im just saying that I hope it doesnt take that long to get the sled started. If it takes 30 seconds of cranking to get the engine fired up Yamaha is going to have a lot of unhappy Phazer buyers.

Sled Dog said:
These machines are designed to start in a cold climate. Trying to start it when it is so hot would cause the FI to lean out. Wait till it gets colder then go start it. I bet it fires up right away then.
That shouldnt matter. Its got EFI, so it should instantly adjust the air/fuel mixture to the temp. It should run just as good at 80 degrees as it does at -20.

Octane
SrxSPEC is a Yamaha sponsered racer and performance shop, so he has lots of time with the 07 phazer including developing mods. I agree with both of you, people would not like to crank that long and Yamaha probably has it right

let the snow begin

Yamadoo

Counted it out this weekend. 10 seconds of cranking for the first fire after not being started for several days and being cold. After it was started the first time it fired up instantly every time. Installed a water temp gauge as well. This thing is kinda slick to work on once you figure out what pieces need to be removed to work on certain things!!

10 seconds sounds better than 15-20 pulls on the rope on my old XCR 600 ;)

At the demo in rabbit ears, IIRC he turned the key and it started right up(after pulling the trailer into the parking lot)

Back