• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

phazer starting

Srxspec said:
Counted it out this weekend. 10 seconds of cranking for the first fire after not being started for several days and being cold. After it was started the first time it fired up instantly every time. Installed a water temp gauge as well. This thing is kinda slick to work on once you figure out what pieces need to be removed to work on certain things!!
Thats not too bad. 10 seconds is livable. Thanks for the info, Srxspec. ;)!

i fired up the mtn lite tonight and heres how it went:

turned it on and let the fuel pump run
first try cranked it for about 8 seconds
let off
2nd try cranked it for 5 seconds and fired right up

this is after 3 weeks of not starting.. sitting in the garage

My GSX and Sport bike both take several seconds for the fuel to get up there. Its a good thing as you shouldn't have to drain it in the off season. Started the GT today and took 5 seconds of steady cranking to start it. Thats after letting the gas stop rising first and then cranking the starter. Same way I start my motor cycle and Doo.

5 seconds isnt that bad. Last winter when I demo rode an Apex I was the first person to ride the sled that day and it took about 5 seconds of cranking before the sled fired up.
Snocat7, when you say "thats after letting the gas stop rising first", what do you mean? Im a little confused by that statement...
When I go to start my Phazer, should I turn the key to "On", wait untill the fuel pump shuts off and then crank it?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The fuel has to pump up from the tank. Wait for it to stop pumping and then turn the key all the way to crank the starter. It cannot start until the gas is pumped up to the fuel injectors. Your wasting valuable battery amps by cranking the starter until the gas is ready to go. Just turn it to on until the gas stops pumping. Then crank it.

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for the clarification, snocat7. Can you actually hear the pump run and do you wait for it to stop buzzing/humming or do you just give it a good 5 seconds?

You actually hear the pump running. Let it run until it stops. Then turn the crank. It takes very little battery to run the pump. Lots to run the starter.

Easier and easier to start the more miles you get on it.

;)!

^Glad to hear that. I just know my family (who are diehard Polaris) are going to give me a hard time if my Phazer doesnt fire right up.
The less anti-Yamaha ammo they have, the better!

My dealer was just at the Yamaha update seminar last week. They told him the Phazer had to build oil pressure before it will let the injectors fire. That is why it unit turns over so much when cold; it takes time to build oil pressure. It was tested in very cold temps so battery power should be okay. This is the first Yamaha with this saftey system. It also explains why it doesn't start as quickly as an Apex when it's warm. Sounds like a good idea though...

Back