• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pilot 6.9 ski's installed

Good to hear from you Dan! IT is too bad more people did not get to try the 2016 limited as it is just about as good with the QS3 shocks. Night and day difference. My 2012 is damn close but I have ohlins in the rear with valving that is oh so close to the QS3 an I just redid my exit shocks to similar valving to the QS3 setting 2 to 3 would be a close comparison and I am using a stock QS3 spring. I am like 4 gs into suspension alone in upgrades to get it there and that does not include clutching (torsional secondary), better bumper and god knows what else. Way more than any one person should ever have to spend to make something right and it still is not as nice a trail sled as the 17. I will be on one soon enough but my wife has reservations due to my last foray(all the extra jing). I had her ride it this past weekend and she fell in love so not long now. I may have to get her one first! FAWK!

:) Jester
Haha....wow, that is some serious jing! I did not realize you had the 12 still, i guess that is what happens when we "marry" our sleds with our wallets, hard to sell them!

I am between a SW and 850(yeah dont laugh, even though my fore into etec in 14 blew up!) and maybe keeping my 4tec(which i truly love and have alot into) and adding a Precision Motec turbo system from Martin. The guys who are doing the new XS stock compression kits are raving, as the motec system combined with new bosch ecu and throttle by wire on the xs is simply a killer system. Not only ultra fast, but super "quick" along with options up and into the 300hp range. Norm has been telling me about his new XS motec build and it truly is turnkey how Martin has it designed. You end up with the lightest most nimble turbo on the market, that is a true trail machine. Problem is, cost. While 7200USD is really not bad at all, its hard to compare that to a SW with full warranty, that would likely cost me LESS after trade. Ahh the fun of sledding!

Im happy to sit on sidelines here and play with Toms and get a feel for the SW and hope to try a 850 too, as there are many 4s guys and even turbo guys who bought the 850 and have high reviews, it wont be a true runner like a turbo but for the trails, can make for a boatload of flickable fun. Need to decide what type of riding I will do more of. Honestly the 2s is a ton of fun for my tight system here, and until my 14 etec blew up, it sure had me smiling like an 18 yr old kid railing the trails and off the tops of each knoll. The 1200 4tec in same plastics now, for some bizarre reason actually feels very close to the etec, while its 38 lbs heavier, its barely noticed on tight trails....so Im very happy with a combo of 4s reliability along with very very nice ergos and precision handling. 1200 lack top speed though, the single thing I keep coming back to, top speed of 103gps(stock) just far below where I have been for so so many yrs. With the stage 2 setup I have now(new this season) with all the bolt on goodies and ecu flash from Olivier, a few guys have these running upper teens, which can most times run with and many times beat the 800 crowd, im close to having mine dialed in so will see if that works out. But it wont ever do 120mph NA, and its hard to not want that big power back.

Dan

I watched one of the stage 2 setup 1200s wax a couple of 800s on the lake late last year. They work really well, especially the new one with the better throttle control. No lag there at all. Tuff to sell when you have so much in them. The only saving grace for me is I have a group of friends who want to buy mine cause they know the work I put into them and how well they are maintained. Not what they are worth but better than firesale! The new 850 is interesting but they are not all that much faster than the old 800 from what I have witnessed. A few good 800s were getting the better of a broken in 850. Was told it does handle really well though and that is consideration enough. With all my years on the turbo I just don't think I could go back to an 800 so SW for me!!

Jester

As far as removing the blocks and custom rod how do you think this setup compares to racewerx rapid block?

SW main ski Bolt and washers:

Now that we have the OUTER bushing reinserted, we can change the washer setup on the ski bolt install....

We need to do this cause the spacing after the bushing change, still is not exact and additionally, now that we have changed the outer bushing, we want a shoulder INSIDE that outer ski plastic, between the SW spindle and the plastic ski(since the bushing shoulder is now outside) so it does not wear on the plastic.

From outside to inside: Bolt, Bushing, Ski, Washer, SW spindle, Bushing, Ski, Washer, Nut, cotter pin.

Dan

View attachment 125290View attachment 125289View attachment 125280 View attachment 125281 View attachment 125282 View attachment 125283

Fantastic, Thx so much Dan! Think I should just go with the 8" skidoo bars and pass on the shaper bars?

Fantastic, Thx so much Dan! Think I should just go with the 8" skidoo bars and pass on the shaper bars?
Good question...if this was a doo, I would steer you far from the shaper, as they bring on heavy darting on the doos. But they may work on this chassie.

I do tend to like the BRP factory round 1/2" bars, as they are made by woodys and have great fit and wear well. Round bar tends to lend lighter steering effort typically too. Also cheaper.

Dan

I want to have a design that goes much further then the racewerx one....Its not much different then stock rod IMO.

Dan
I have the big wheel kit and there isn't a whole lot of room in there past where the shaft hits I took the shaft out and rode it and I tore my wheels all up lol

I have the big wheel kit and there isn't a whole lot of room in there past where the shaft hits I took the shaft out and rode it and I tore my wheels all up lol
Agree....and just goes to show we really dont want to remove shaft altogether. I think the straps are another item that needs consideration for more transfer, Tom picked up his SW tonight, as he is off to NB riding, so I wont have anymore time on setup for awhile.

Im sure with him on it and when its done being studded, it will transfer....haha

For myself I am a 129 guy, so I may not need to worry as much as Im hearing the shorty has fair amount of transfer right out of box.

Dan

Thanks for the write up Dan... any idea if a pair of 5.7 pilots a worthwhile upgrade? I can get a set off a friend for next to nothing

Great write up. I added 6.9's to my viper last year and love them, although I cut the entire ridge off the bottom of the rubbers. I can definitely see why your way would be better I might have to order a new set of rubbers. Although do you think a set of doo rubbers would slap right on and work?

Thanks for the write up Dan... any idea if a pair of 5.7 pilots a worthwhile upgrade? I can get a set off a friend for next to nothing
What is the difference between 5.7s and 6.9's please. I am leaning towards Curves but this thread is turning my head a bit. I am frankly worried that there are so many other Pilots out there that the hunting and darting may be bothersome.

I guess what everyone is looking for " the holy grail of skis " like power steering and grip in the corners. Lol :sled2:

Back