• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Canadian Vs. US Pricing - They've Done it again......

Yeah, just like gas prices

:die

Mooseman said:
GST/HST is a multi level value added tax, not just a sales tax by the end consumer. The company buying iron ore from the mine pays it, the company that makes the bolts buying the iron ore pays it, the company that makes a part using that bolt pays it, the company building a sled using that part pays it. So by the time we buy that sled and pay that final tax, we've paid tax on tax on tax on tax on tax. Oh, and when we sell it used and it gets registered, it's taxed again.

The thing on the tariffs might explain sleds imported to Canada from the US and Japan but because those sleds are priced higher, BRP can ask more for theirs here. Could be some sort of back room deal or just a plain and simple money grab.

That is a complete misrepresentation of how GST/HST works.

Yes, producers pay the GST on supplies they need to make a product, but they then receive rebates for all that tax paid. The GST, in fact, got rid of the issue with taxes on taxes, because it replaced manufacturer taxes.

It's sad how ill-informed some people are about how their country is run.

I had a 3 year YES warranty on my NYTRO that was imported from the US. Yamaha told me that the warranty will be honored as long as the sled is brought back to the US.

Bob Weaver in Niagara Falls is a great place to do business with and did some warranty work for me as well as some goodwill from Yamaha.

NFLD-Nytro said:
Mooseman said:
GST/HST is a multi level value added tax, not just a sales tax by the end consumer. The company buying iron ore from the mine pays it, the company that makes the bolts buying the iron ore pays it, the company that makes a part using that bolt pays it, the company building a sled using that part pays it. So by the time we buy that sled and pay that final tax, we've paid tax on tax on tax on tax on tax.

That is a complete misrepresentation of how GST/HST works.

Yes, producers pay the GST on supplies they need to make a product, but they then receive rebates for all that tax paid. The GST, in fact, got rid of the issue with taxes on taxes, because it replaced manufacturer taxes.

It's sad how ill-informed some people are about how their country is run.

The Newf is right on other than maybe "rebate" would be better described as "credit" or "Refund"
HST is cCurrently 13% in our province . Under the old system we paid 24.32% of which 12 % was a hidden FST [Federal Sales Tax ] that the Manufacturers had to charge and remit

Ah, now I'm better informed. Still too much tax though because now it's also on services. We also have 13% HST, thanks to Squinty McGuinty.

I priced out supplies for an oil change on my Phaser.
- 3 litres of Yamalube 0w30
- chaincase oil
- 3 crush washers

Total in Canada from local dealer - $54
Total in Grand Forks, ND - $25.50

The oil alone is $13.04 a litre in Canada vs $5 a quart in the US.

Cubby said:
I priced out supplies for an oil change on my Phaser.
- 3 litres of Yamalube 0w30
- chaincase oil
- 3 crush washers

Total in Canada from local dealer - $54
Total in Grand Forks, ND - $25.50

The oil alone is $13.04 a litre in Canada vs $5 a quart in the US.

Being it is the 0W-30 rated oil which is semi synthetic, just curious what the full synthetic cost is now?

The first and only time I purchased it (before I educated myself on Yamalube) it was around $20.00 bucks litre! Needless to say, 3 litres plus a filter, with no crush washers was over $90.00 dollars CDN! :drink:

Full synthetic 0w40 is $14.99 in Canada. Didn't get a US price but I will check. But for only $6 more for the oil I may go for it. I did ask the local Yamaha service guy about switching and he told me not to. Wasn't worth it was his exact words.

I changed my filter last year so I'm good. Next time I will install the K&N filter so the Yamaha oil change kit is useless to me and over priced.

Cubby said:
Full synthetic 0w40 is $14.99 in Canada. Didn't get a US price but I will check. But for only $6 more for the oil I may go for it. I did ask the local Yamaha service guy about switching and he told me not to. Wasn't worth it was his exact words.
I changed my filter last year so I'm good. Next time I will install the K&N filter so the Yamaha oil change kit is useless to me and over priced.

Not quite $2 bucks more for the Yamalube full synthetic?

That has definitely come down in price, and if it is only $2 bucks more to go to a full synthetic compared to a semi, then I would for sure,, if I ran Yamalube.

I don't understand the bold? Is he saying it is not worth it to spend the $2 extra bucks to go to full synthetic or was he saying something about the synthetic being questionable?
Read a post on here recently where a peep was also told not to use the Yamahlube full synthetic either as his dealer said there were some rusting/corrosion issues currently with it? Wonder if that was what your dealer was getting at? :dunno:

Mooseman said:
GST/HST is a multi level value added tax, not just a sales tax by the end consumer. The company buying iron ore from the mine pays it, the company that makes the bolts buying the iron ore pays it, the company that makes a part using that bolt pays it, the company building a sled using that part pays it. So by the time we buy that sled and pay that final tax, we've paid tax on tax on tax on tax on tax. Oh, and when we sell it used and it gets registered, it's taxed again.

The thing on the tariffs might explain sleds imported to Canada from the US and Japan but because those sleds are priced higher, BRP can ask more for theirs here. Could be some sort of back room deal or just a plain and simple money grab.
I run a business in Canada and GST / HST is a wash ... I buy items to resell and I pay HST to the manufacturer and the tax paid becomes an ITC (tax credit) ... when I resell the items I charge GST / HST to my clients ... the gov't then collects the difference in the amount of tax paid by the end client less what I paid - same all the way back through the chain so you do not pay tax on tax on tax on tax ... the item is only taxed once. This is the case most times except in a few cases .... private resale of vehicles get taxed every time ... thats why if you buy through a dealer the tax value on your used trade is applied against the tax on your new vehicle ... for private sale you get taxed on full sale amount or book value.

Tax is not the reason sleds are $2000 + more in canada - its the sales strategies of the OEM's

couch said:
Mooseman said:

I run a business in Canada and GST / HST is a wash ... I buy items to resell and I pay HST to the manufacturer and the tax paid becomes an ITC (tax credit) ... when I resell the items I charge GST / HST to my clients ... the gov't then collects the difference in the amount of tax paid by the end client less what I paid - same all the way back through the chain so you do not pay tax on tax on tax on tax ... the item is only taxed once. This is the case most times except in a few cases .... private resale of vehicles get taxed every time ... thats why if you buy through a dealer the tax value on your used trade is applied against the tax on your new vehicle ... for private sale you get taxed on full sale amount or book value.

Tax is not the reason sleds are $2000 + more in canada - its the sales strategies of the OEM's

DING DING DING!

Manufacturer's have the right to charge whatever they want for the product. Traditionally, the prices have been higher in Canada for a bunch of reasons. Even though the major reasons have disappeared, they continue to try and get the premium. (It's pure margin and looks great on the bottom line) The only real justification is the other manu's do it too. So if they are all doing it, you only recourse is to go buy in the US and deal with the inconvenience of doing so. Or, suck it up and go sledding.

He basically said full synthetic wasn't worth the extra $ which would have been an extra $6. He said the semi-synthetic 0w30 is good enough - I won't see a benefit from the full synthetic. Its newer guys behind the counter and they really don't know yamaha products well plus he told me they don't sell or service many Phazers.

Irv said:
Cubby said:

Not quite $2 bucks more for the Yamalube full synthetic?

That has definitely come down in price, and if it is only $2 bucks more to go to a full synthetic compared to a semi, then I would for sure,, if I ran Yamalube.

I don't understand the bold? Is he saying it is not worth it to spend the $2 extra bucks to go to full synthetic or was he saying something about the synthetic being questionable?
Read a post on here recently where a peep was also told not to use the Yamahlube full synthetic either as his dealer said there were some rusting/corrosion issues currently with it? Wonder if that was what your dealer was getting at? :dunno:

couch said:
[I run a business in Canada and GST / HST is a wash ... I buy items to resell and I pay HST to the manufacturer and the tax paid becomes an ITC (tax credit) ... when I resell the items I charge GST / HST to my clients ... the gov't then collects the difference in the amount of tax paid by the end client less what I paid - same all the way back through the chain so you do not pay tax on tax on tax on tax ... the item is only taxed once. This is the case most times except in a few cases .... private resale of vehicles get taxed every time ... thats why if you buy through a dealer the tax value on your used trade is applied against the tax on your new vehicle ... for private sale you get taxed on full sale amount or book value.

good explanation ;)!

So I figured that with everything being cheaper in the U.S. than why not just buy there. I looked up riding apparel on yamahas website and depending on your size, Yamaha wants to gouge you an additional 110 dollars for the same jacket in a popular size. The new outlast jackets is where I noticed this. Some in XL and others in L. This is absolute robbery. Good luck keeping loyal customers yammi. My next sleds just might be cats. The only thing i want from yammi anymore is their motors and clutches. This new parts ageement definately is better for the consumer. Yammi now needs a purchase agreement to buy Polaris' slogan...THE WAY OUT

Back