• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary install, am i a moron?

Rx1 cowboy

Expert
I thought id save myself some trouble this year, instead of dragging the sleds to the dealer to have my clutch kits installed if simply pull the primaries off and bring them to him. I was getting my heelclickers re-bushed ect. So after returning home i began to reinstall the clutches. Mind you this is the first time ive done this. So i read in the service manual that i should clean the tapered shaft and oil the threads on the clutch bolt, check, check. Next it says to torque the bolt to 112 ft-lbs to seat the clutch and then loosen the bolt then retorque to 48 ft- lbs. So using a 200 dollar torque wrench i began starting at 80 ft lbs, by the time i reached 100 ftlbs on the first sled the bolt had snapped. Called the dealer got a new bolt and started in on the second sled, this time being extra careful, by the way the wrench was compared to second higher end wrench and was determined to be accurate. On the second sled it blew off at 90 ft lbs this time. What the hell am i doing wrong here, i cant believe im the first to do this, was i tightning too slowly. I guess following the manual too carefully isnt recommened. Every time ive seen the dealer put the primary on they just go at it with a impact. Now i have to drag to warriors into my trailer and bring to the dealer to have him zip on the clutches, feeling like an #*$&@ and instead of saving my self time ive made 3 full round trips :drink: :drink:

LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT.............................YOU BROKE THAT BIG FRIGGIN BOLT THAT GOES THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE PRIMARY CLUTCH ...........???? ARE YOU SERIOUS?????????

Sounds like something is either wrong with that torque wrench or your not reading it right!
Those bolts should be capable of 200 ft lbs or better before they snap like that! :shock:

The torque specs in the book are wrong. There was a bulletin to address this. I think the new torque values are 85, loosen and retorque to 44. Ask your dealer, he should know.

Cowboy, I have the service manual and in my book it states to tighten to 85 ft lb first then 43 ft lb second. Are you sure you aren't reading Nm on your 1st measure. Or maybe your book has a misprint. 112 ft lb does seem very high.

Definitely a misprint in the manual! Torque it to 85 and then loosen bolt and retorque to 43!

FYI....

85 ft-lbs equals 115 N-m

43 ft-lbs equals 58 N-m

Sounds like a conversion problem.

Just something I figured out in my head.

...boy do I have a headache :D

im sure i was in ft lbs not n-m, i read it right out of the manual, i guess it was wrong, but why wouldnt the cluch have been fully seated unless the shock from the break shook it loose either that or the clutch is deformed now?

Hell yes it should have seated. You might want to peek in the hole to see if anything is in there.

It helps to run a tap in the hole just to make sure the threads arent buggered up.

THAT THREAD IS NOT METRIC BY THE WAY.
I think is is 1/2 x 13 but better double check. Use a bottoming tap.

I had one that was not seating no matter what I did (yes I broke a bolt also exceeding the torque spec on purpose just to try and get the thing to seat) until i finally ran a tap in there.

So no, not a moron, but if it wont seat, chase the threads

I'm wondering if something isn't in the hole also. The bolt is 1/2" x 20, which is also something metric.

Back