• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Putting together a clutch kit

20/80

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 APEX LE XTX
Hi all, I need some help with putting together a clutch kit for my 2014 xtx , looking for the best helix angle and matching spring in the primary to put me at 11300-11500 for that extra pull in the midrange, Dalton industries is not to far from me, what are your thoughts on this? any info would be great. thanks so much

For the primary I'd recommend talking with Ulmer. The secondary is more limited as the design is the old style.

If you convert to the new style secondary then is seems like a 41* is the general helix of choice but there is a long thread on here about the conversion.

For the primary I'd recommend talking with Ulmer. The secondary is more limited as the design is the old style.

If you convert to the new style secondary then is seems like a 41* is the general helix of choice but there is a long thread on here about the conversion.
Thanks, I could talk to Dalton industries they would have multiple combinations for the xtx my thoughts were to get real world results from the phazer riders on this forum what works good for them, I wonder what Schmidt Bros is using for a combination on their comfort clutch kit with helix for the xtx, its so exspensive ordering now from the US with our dollar so low, what do you mean by new style secondary? thanks

Most people seem to be using Ulmers kit because he figured out some better weights and a spring, takes a lot of the guess work out of it and cheaper than guessing at a new starting point.

Schmidt Bros kit is a adjustable weight system I think but I don't have any experience with it. Perhaps someone else can provide some more information on it.

Regarding the secondary there is a lot of information in this thread http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/the-new-secondary-brain-child-is-done-and-is-easy-to-do.101732/

Most people seem to be using Ulmers kit because he figured out some better weights and a spring, takes a lot of the guess work out of it and cheaper than guessing at a new starting point.

Schmidt Bros kit is a adjustable weight system I think but I don't have any experience with it. Perhaps someone else can provide some more information on it.

Regarding the secondary there is a lot of information in this thread http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/the-new-secondary-brain-child-is-done-and-is-easy-to-do.101732/
Thank you

If your going to monkey with helix angles you definately want to switch to the newer secondary, 95-96 Vmax are a direct bolt on 97+ require simple machining. Works way better at maintaining RPM when going from trail to powder and back. The MTX 8DN primary weights hit hard out of the hole with a strong midrange but have a high 4300 rpm engagement. I like except when I'm pulling the fish house or kids on a sled at slow speed.

Not sure where a Helix for that old secondary can even be found. And one big reason people change to the new style is the clip comes off old and first thing to get ruined when it happens is the Helix. I do really like the Ulmer Phazer kit both with new style and old style secondary.

One word for the clutch kit ULMER :)
Alan Ulmer will custom drill your clutch weights based on gearing, track, and other mods. I have been super happy with my set up from Ulmer. G.B.

Any update on your choice? Testing?
Currently looking into clutch kit as well. Don't like the 12K range myself.

Hello, I'm leaning towards SBM custom clutch kit for my xtx, I've had dealings with Chris from SBM and he was very helpful, I feel he can put something together for me that I will be happy with, they have done a lot of testing with different clutch set ups with the Phazers that work very well. thanks

I just ordered the stage 2 clutch kit and a 17 top sprocket from SBM Chris is doing up a custom clutching for me and my style of riding he said this kit will wake her up and keep her in her power band. thanks

Soooo....is it wickedly awesome??
Very very curious as I'm pretty much ready to clutch. Well calls have been out to vendors since mid December :o|:confused:

Soooo....is it wickedly awesome??
Very very curious as I'm pretty much ready to clutch. Well calls have been out to vendors since mid December :o|:confused:
I just received it, it will be put on later next week along with a few other upgrades, I will let you know how the clutch kit works out. thanks :sled2:

Back