• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Question for all the New York State Guys?

View attachment 154047

All our club can afford are these, but we do what we can for our 33 miles of linked corridor trails. Donations of time and labor and some materials made the bridge possible.
We have that type of drag here for some of our trails and work pretty darn good, as far as the registering in the state of New York if you are using these trails often during the winter that's a good deal, and joining a club is even better, the one time users that fee would suck, but here in my province of Nova Scotia you pay $150 bucks for a early bird trail pass $200 after December, visiting another province(state) will cost you $75 bucks for a three day pass, so you pay to play, on the other side of the coin a lot of work goes into building bridges, clearing trails, putting up markers and signs and grooming, I don't mind paying and I don't mind giving a helping hand, this is a great sport.

We have that type of drag here for some of our trails and work pretty darn good, as far as the registering in the state of New York if you are using these trails often during the winter that's a good deal, and joining a club is even better, the one time users that fee would suck, but here in my province of Nova Scotia you pay $150 bucks for a early bird trail pass $200 after December, visiting another province(state) will cost you $75 bucks for a three day pass, so you pay to play, on the other side of the coin a lot of work goes into building bridges, clearing trails, putting up markers and signs and grooming, I don't mind paying and I don't mind giving a helping hand, this is a great sport.
Sure is! Those trail planes are light and work amazingly well. Trying to get people to help is another thing. I have more time on this than my sidewinder this year. Not miles, but time. Slow going, but kinda fun taking in the scenery!

Yes it takes time to groom, we have a lot of retired guy's that volunteer their time and sleds to pull the drag, there is also a few members that built their own drags and look after the trails in their area, they have lots of time on their hands and gets them out of the house, its funny when I think of New York I alway's think of just the city, but there is a lot of country out and around the State of New York, your pics of the scenery are beautiful thanks for sharing.

Yes it takes time to groom, we have a lot of retired guy's that volunteer their time and sleds to pull the drag, there is also a few members that built their own drags and look after the trails in their area, they have lots of time on their hands and gets them out of the house, its funny when I think of New York I alway's think of just the city, but there is a lot of country out and around the State of New York, your pics of the scenery are beautiful thanks for sharing.
You're welcome!

No it is 100 per sled for 6 months the now. They changed it this year my cousin said.

So.. all you have to do is register your sled in New York State for $100 bucks one time a year and you have access to 10,000 + miles of groomed trails in the state New York all winter long if you like? am I reading this right?

I registered in Nov. I am a member of a club. It was 45 per sled for the year. Not six months. This past weekend was supposed to be the free weekend I believe. Registered three sleds and they didn't leave the garage.

2020-03-17 13.09.08.png

It did go up to 100 per sled. Just join a club online.
Our secretary sends the voucher electronically but all you need is the number.

The NY cost is cheaper than what Ontario charges. Early bird (Before Nov. 1) season pass costs $190 + $7.50 fee CAD ($138USD). If you wait, it goes up to $220 + $7.50 fee CAD ($159USD) till Dec.1. If you wait to be sure there is snow after Dec.1, that's $270 + $7.50 fee CAD ($195USD). At $100USD ($141CAD), it's a bargain. Even if you get a 4 day pass here at $35/day, that's $140CAD.

Nobody ever said it was cheap to sled.

The NY cost is cheaper than what Ontario charges. Early bird (Before Nov. 1) season pass costs $190 + $7.50 fee CAD ($138USD). If you wait, it goes up to $220 + $7.50 fee CAD ($159USD) till Dec.1. If you wait to be sure there is snow after Dec.1, that's $270 + $7.50 fee CAD ($195USD). At $100USD ($141CAD), it's a bargain. Even if you get a 4 day pass here at $35/day, that's $140CAD.

Nobody ever said it was cheap to sled.
Clubs around here are usually 20 bucks single and 25 family so for the family price that's 45 per sled. So for 70 bucks, you are a club member and registered.

Clubs around here are usually 20 bucks single and 25 family so for the family price that's 45 per sled. So for 70 bucks, you are a club member and registered.

Maybe I'm not reading your post correctly. You would pay $25 for your club family membership, then $45 per sled to register. So if you're doing two sleds you'd spend $115. Still an enormous bargain to ride anywhere in the state except town of Webb trail system.

To the OP,
I belong to two local clubs and spend a lot of time helping maintain the trail system and going to meetings so that things can get accomplished. It takes a LOT of volunteer time to keep this going. Personally I feel if you are not going to help any club with anything then just pay the $100 registration per sled(clubs get more money that way) and go ride while you still can. If you were to take a look around at the age of the people that do the work in the clubs you would soon realize the current way it operates will be a thing of the past. Eventually it will be necessary to PAY people to maintain trails so it will be WAY more expensive to ride in NY at least. I think other states are experiencing the same thing with getting volunteer manpower to make it all work..

When I pay my club membership every year I donate extra money to them. I don't feel like giving NY State anymore.
I do appreciate all that the volunteers do.

Yes.. volunteers are starting to get hard to find it seems in this sport, most are seniors with a few of the younger crowd, a lot of work goes into maintaining trails, not sure what the future holds but I like helping out when I can, a group of us get to gether at the beginning of the season and clean up the trails and do some bridge repairs if needed, its always a great day with lots of laughs, I plan on being more involved when I retire for sure.

Maybe I'm not reading your post correctly. You would pay $25 for your club family membership, then $45 per sled to register. So if you're doing two sleds you'd spend $115. Still an enormous bargain to ride anywhere in the state except town of Webb trail system.

To the OP,
I belong to two local clubs and spend a lot of time helping maintain the trail system and going to meetings so that things can get accomplished. It takes a LOT of volunteer time to keep this going. Personally I feel if you are not going to help any club with anything then just pay the $100 registration per sled(clubs get more money that way) and go ride while you still can. If you were to take a look around at the age of the people that do the work in the clubs you would soon realize the current way it operates will be a thing of the past. Eventually it will be necessary to PAY people to maintain trails so it will be WAY more expensive to ride in NY at least. I think other states are experiencing the same thing with getting volunteer manpower to make it all work..
Yes, that's correct. Our club Cave Country Riders is 25 for family, and I register my apex and sidewinder for 45 each. 115 total.

That is cheap!

Back