• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Question

fxnytroxtx

So I was going over my sled the other day, I unscrewed the dip stick and found some black residue on top of the stick (the oil itself is clean), so I then take one of those magnets on a stick and put it in the oil tank all the way to the bottom, and there's more of that black residue. So my question is it bad, how much of residue is to much, should there be any at all, is it blow by, should I remove the belly pan and see what is going on there? The sled ran perfect last season, but on the last ride my header cracked so I lost about 1 quart and a half of oil, drove it like that to the trailer for abot 30-40 miles.

There is a screen at the bottom of the oil tank, the screen prohibits particles to enter the oil pump and engine.

If you take the oil tank apart you can clean the screen and the black residue which is mostly carbon. This is normal. All engines have blow by more or less depending on the conditions of the piston rings. Northing to worry about unless you have extensive oil consumption.

I am not sure I see the connection between failure of header and oil loss you mention. Are you running low compression pistons, did you perform compression check?

BADSLED said:
I am not sure I see the connection between failure of header and oil loss you mention. Are you running low compression pistons, did you perform compression check?

No have not performed compression test, but I will once I find the tool. And as for the oil loss I guess the oil was still going to the turbo but since it wasn't spinning maybe the oil somehow was getting past the seals? And yes it has wiseco pistons 10:1 I believe.

Back