• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Real World 1500 Mile Low Down of new Ski Doo XR-S 900 Turbo vs. SideWinder

No sled is perfect, period. I found this year my sidewinder loves the u.p. of Michigan vs the tight technical trails in Wisconsin. I'm positive weight of sled & my ability to handle is overwhelming.
Then you go and buy a $16k 900t to find it's lacking power and has to be tuned. Thats when the fun begins. Maybe other issues will show themselves. maybe it handles better....but maybe it don't. Haha.

For me and how I like to ride. The Sidewinder is a damn nice piece.

It's funny though, I know some skidoo guys are sick over the fact they don't have a dominant sled package to compare. Trust me. 10yrs over on dootalk.

A stock 900t will not deliver the performance of a Winder. Its down on power from 850 and weights more. That's that. 125mph???? Haha.....try 100mph. Which is fine....for some.

Happy Easter.......lol!

We all go through stages Joe. When I hit 60 yo I wanted to feel that unlimited power of the SW so I bought one. I guess I was feeling my age and the Winder made me feel young again.

I get bored with stuff much sooner now that I'm a senior citizen and lately I only keep my sleds 2 to three years. I never buy the same sled I currently own so I tend to buy the latest and newest thing on the market. If I don't like it I will get rid of it and buy something else. I could never do that in the past because of financial duties and responsibilities. That is no longer the case and if I want something now I go out and get it. The only thing I will forever keep is my Wife of almost 41 years. Everything else is for sale!

We all go through stages Joe. When I hit 60 yo I wanted to feel that unlimited power of the SW so I bought one. I guess I was feeling my age and the Winder made me feel young again.

I get bored with stuff much sooner now that I'm a senior citizen and lately I only keep my sleds 2 to three years. I never buy the same sled I currently own so I tend to buy the latest and newest thing on the market. If I don't like it I will get rid of it and buy something else. I could never do that in the past because of financial duties and responsibilities. That is no longer the case and if I want something now I go out and get it. The only thing I will forever keep is my Wife of almost 41 years. Everything else is for sale!

We are ever changing. My body gave up riding as hard as a could 4yrs ago. Ok maybe 5. So I know exactly what you're saying.

Btw, I'm not knocking the 900t even for a second. As long as you look at the numbers and there's a fit to your particular riding style.

900t is it. Trust me. Long range tourer. That's if infact someone can squeeze 20mpg out of it.
If it's down around sidewinder mpg & it's already down on power.....whats the point?

It is the only sled built today that directly compeats with the 998t. On every level.

Like the sidewinder, I don't think I'd buy a 900t to attack the tight Twisties. I'd leave that stuff for a nice lite 2s.

We are ever changing. My body gave up riding as hard as a could 4yrs ago. Ok maybe 5. So I know exactly what you're saying.

Btw, I'm not knocking the 900t even for a second. As long as you look at the numbers and there's a fit to your particular riding style.

900t is it. Trust me. Long range tourer. That's if infact someone can squeeze 20mpg out of it.
If it's down around sidewinder mpg & it's already down on power.....whats the point?

It is the only sled built today that directly compeats with the 998t. On every level.

Like the sidewinder, I don't think I'd buy a 900t to attack the tight Twisties. I'd leave that stuff for a nice lite 2s.

My only choice in sleds are 4 strokes. The only 2 strokes I have bought in the last 14 years are chainsaws.

It's not a fair comparison 2s vs 4s especially a turbo.

2 strokes are lighter, thus they have applications where they rule supreme.
4 strokes are heavier, but deliver great power boosted and have reliability and long life going for them.

Not saying a 2 stroke will ever acquire the hp that a boosted 4 stroke does, and stay together!

But in the future, another boosted 4 stroke model may be able to boast what the winder/T Cat has been boasting since 2017.

No sled is perfect, period. I found this year my sidewinder loves the u.p. of Michigan vs the tight technical trails in Wisconsin. I'm positive weight of sled & my ability to handle is overwhelming.
Then you go and buy a $16k 900t to find it's lacking power and has to be tuned. Thats when the fun begins. Maybe other issues will show themselves. maybe it handles better....but maybe it don't. Haha.

For me and how I like to ride. The Sidewinder is a damn nice piece.

It's funny though, I know some skidoo guys are sick over the fact they don't have a dominant sled package to compare. Trust me. 10yrs over on dootalk.

A stock 900t will not deliver the performance of a Winder. Its down on power from 850 and weights more. That's that. 125mph???? Haha.....try 100mph. Which is fine....for some.

Happy Easter.......lol!
X2

I can't wait to retire!

Fact: the 900t will require less effort and body English in the twisties vs an 850. This whole weight thing is such a brutal myth IMHO. As long as a sled has the suspension to handle the extra mass it's a non issue. The 900t will be more planted and stable. To get an 850 to turn properly you need deeper blades and blocks on almost full. Also many of my buds run the limiter in one or two as well. Likely won't need to do this with the 900t.

The new POO 850 pulls a fair amt of weight(more grams) then the 800 model does, it should be a real contender for the 850 doo for top end speeds. Now if POO can get their MPG up, they would be more on parr. Doos are incredible quality, well engineered sleds with only the best quality materials. I wish YAM/Cat was even close. I think they are getting ALOT better though, especially since 2012.

All the sleds avail these days are heads and tails better then even a few yrs ago, so you cant go wrong really. 2s still gonna blow up here and there so its a crap shoot, so run them 2 seasons max under warranty and trade up before too many Kms on ODO for resale. Doo never gonna be back in the big speed category with any 2s or this 900t. It will target that 150market and do very well, be great on economy with good power and likely be their BEST HANDLING sled to date IMO with the G4 ergos and good amt of weight to keep it more planted then the ultra light 2s G4 which is a blast but must be ridden, not just sit back like alot of the old farts like to do.lol

Has anyone ever seen a GPS video of a 850 doo going fast actually or even a picture? LOL. Love how the 120MPH number gets thrown around like its easy to get to for ANY sled. Then it ends up being the worst dream-meter discrepancy in the biz, not GPS. LOL

I read it somewhere else, Johndee I believe that Ski Doo had to pay royalties to Petronas for every 1200 model they sold. If that is true it does make sense why the 1200 engine is fading away from their lineup and they did not turbo it.

As for the over all sales of all the 4 sled companies, not including this last season but the last I read on marketshare, Ski Doo has close to 50%, then Polaris was around low to mid 30%, Cat had around 15-16% and Yamaha had about 4%.

The one conclusion I came to on this thread is that a lot of old farts own Sidewinders......wait, I resemble that remark....sigh:jump:
That's because we have the money to buy them. Back when I was young I had a hard time spending that much coin on anything. Hell my first new car was a 1979 Cutlass Calais that cost me 6250.00 and I puked spending that much.

The one conclusion I came to on this thread is that a lot of old farts own Sidewinders......wait, I resemble that remark....sigh:jump:
Simple economics: who else can afford $17k for a snowmobile (not counting upgrades). 40+ demographic...

Back