• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Real World 1500 Mile Low Down of new Ski Doo XR-S 900 Turbo vs. SideWinder

But until Yamaha stops making snowmobiles there’s no way I’m buying another brand!!!!!
I always thought that if Yamaha stop making sleds I was most likely to switch to Cat. Turns out, they didn't entirely exit the sled business, but I am riding a Cat!

Sounds like a well built engine, especially a stock bottom end that’s able to hold that much cylinder pressure.
I “Doo” believe Dave has an Apex motor that’s up around 900hp tho.
:hide:

He does yes. But like the Suzuki it takes major mods to get it to hold the mega boost. That apex four-cylinder is a gem of an engine. Much better engine than the three cylinder Yamaha. Wish we had that under our hoods vs the 998 we have now.

If just the Apex chassis rode and handled better I’d add a turbo and go.

That's all fine and dandy but the vast majority of riders simply don't have the desire to be spending big dollars on aftermarket turbos etc.
To date, nothing has been offered that can be bumped to 270hp on pump gas on software alone for about $500, and that is quite appealing.

Yep, that’s why we ride the 998. Cheap. Heavy, but excellent ride and handling.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5408801/clean-air-act-coal-plant-rollback/
Coal & oil companies will be manipulating the next elections to keep Trump in next term , not the Russians... lol
Might even be a Yamaha 2 stroke on the horizon with all the EPA cut backs .
I say hurry up the warming of the planet so the polar ice caps melt the tidal waters stop flowing and the warm air created by them stop and everything reverses and here come the next ice age. if we can do it fast enough we can get back to the hay days of sledding during our lifetimes. well not you old guys but mine lol. :hide:

I say hurry up the warming of the planet so the polar ice caps melt the tidal waters stop flowing and the warm air created by them stop and everything reverses and here come the next ice age. if we can do it fast enough we can get back to the hay days of sledding during our lifetimes. well not you old guys but mine lol. :hide:

Thor, I think you accidentally hit yourself on the head with that big hammer of yours!

What major problem did you have for 4 years?

I did not have 1 major problem. I had multiple problems over the entire time i owned the sled.
Honestly the sled was the biggest disappointment and money pit i have ever been involved with.
While i loved the ergos and the seating position pretty much everything else was an issue.
coolant Hoses leaked from the factory. Thermostat housing had a casting blob on it that took me 2trips to a dealer and 1000 miles to finally find and fix myself.
2 failed reverse actuators. horrible hot start issues from day 1. 2 blown out stock mufflers which melted panels both times.
1 cracked header i re-welded myself. Secondary clutch had the casting flash issue that nos pro pointed out.
Re-flash caused a different issue which I think was cold start and backfiring so i decided to spend the cash on evo re-flash to resolve that issue.
To get it to run remotely consistent required re-clutching it. Cheap chinese bearing failed in my chaincase before 2500 miles
the oil tank leaked from day 1. Dealer fixed it twice and it still leaked. I ended up jb welding it out of sheer frustration with it. relays froze about 2-3 times a season.
Moving rearward.. The rear shock were re-valved 2 different times. Once by hygear. Once by monster performance because i was breaking and bending parts.
i went from the stock spring to the cat dual rate then to the hygear dual rate spring and Even with that done i had issues with the shock mount lower rod. i managed to Bend 1 and shear 1. I snapped the front suspension arm in half just before the 5000 mile mark which also bent up my tunnel.
I could go on but i an honestly getting frustrated just thinking about the time money and energy i wasted.
Eventually i put a turbo on it and finally had the power i wanted. Then it burned. Thats another story.
Honestly about the only known viper issue i did not have is the starter failure issue.

Feel free to search a few of my posts if you dont believe my nightmare

I did not have 1 major problem. I had multiple problems over the entire time i owned the sled.
Honestly the sled was the biggest disappointment and money pit i have ever been involved with.
While i loved the ergos and the seating position pretty much everything else was an issue.
coolant Hoses leaked from the factory. Thermostat housing had a casting blob on it that took me 2trips to a dealer and 1000 miles to finally find and fix myself.
2 failed reverse actuators. horrible hot start issues from day 1. 2 blown out stock mufflers which melted panels both times.
1 cracked header i re-welded myself. Secondary clutch had the casting flash issue that nos pro pointed out.
Re-flash caused a different issue which I think was cold start and backfiring so i decided to spend the cash on evo re-flash to resolve that issue.
To get it to run remotely consistent required re-clutching it. Cheap chinese bearing failed in my chaincase before 2500 miles
the oil tank leaked from day 1. Dealer fixed it twice and it still leaked. I ended up jb welding it out of sheer frustration with it. relays froze about 2-3 times a season.
Moving rearward.. The rear shock were re-valved 2 different times. Once by hygear. Once by monster performance because i was breaking and bending parts.
i went from the stock spring to the cat dual rate then to the hygear dual rate spring and Even with that done i had issues with the shock mount lower rod. i managed to Bend 1 and shear 1. I snapped the front suspension arm in half just before the 5000 mile mark which also bent up my tunnel.
I could go on but i an honestly getting frustrated just thinking about the time money and energy i wasted.
Eventually i put a turbo on it and finally had the power i wanted. Then it burned. Thats another story.
Honestly about the only known viper issue i did not have is the starter failure issue.

Feel free to search a few of my posts if you dont believe my nightmare

Dam Bro you’ve actually had more issues than me. I’m sorry for your luck. Hope you have better days ahead!
Yea my turbo blew up twice now. What kit did you have?

How much power can a turbo'd Doo put out on pump gas 91 with no changes to the engine, like a head shim.

240-250 with a stock engine and timing changes, but keep in mind that type of power on the 1200 will run with 260-280 on a Winder. The 1200 has instant throttle response and is a bunch lighter too, the 1200 is very violent at that power level and a bit of a handful. Really a handful compared to the quite tame Winder. The Winder handles and rides better in comparison. Hence the reason I like it better myself. The violence is fun for some, but gets old after a while. I prefer to keep the skis on the ground and in control more so.

I also had a good Simons Apex once that I feel was the most insane Turbo I've ever owned for the trail track HP wise. It would get you in trouble in a real hurry. The Winder is a nice compromise between the powerhouse Heavyweight Apex I had and the Lightweight Doo 1200 turbo. I'd still prefer a Apex turbo engine over all others for trail use however. One of those gear reduced four-cylinders in a Cat chassis with a turbo would be the real ticket! With an improved driveline of course. Now you'd have something.

I was wondering where you went. That 900t does seem to have just the right amount of power compared to a Viper. Talk about that. How is the top end on the wet mushy snow days when a Viper is lucky to hit 80mph?

So far i am real happy with the 900t. The electronic throttle is a little funky at first but i am used to it now. I have a buddy with the same sled and he hates the throttle. He thinks its dangerous in sport mode and will not change it out of std mode.
I flipped the throttle around and plan to give it a try as a finger throttle this season.
I am happy with the power on the sled. It really has some good low end grunt. It also has the ability to pull the skis cresting bumps which my viper seldom did.
I weigh 240 fully dressed. My buddy weighs 200 fully dressed and rides a broke in 2019 850 xrs.
We raced them a few different times this season. Both are stock clutching and no studs.
We run almost dead even to 80 almost every time. I mean it almost dead even. No matter the conditions.
I might get 1 length on him. He might get 1 length on me. Its always dam close. Both of us normally quit around 80-90. I really dont like side by side racing at those speeds now that i am older. Top speed on radar has been 106. Speedo read 113
My clutches run so cool its incredible. They are so cool that i could just barely warm my hands on them after a good hard run.
Its an xrs and the suspension is pretty darn good. The front is well planted and steers pretty light and accurate with the stock skis and 6inch studboy shaper bars
The rear sucks up some pretty good bumps and is pretty cushy. Towards the last few rides i could feel the suspension getting broke in. It was just starting to bottom. I have already sent them to hygear for a revalve and if they need a little more i will get the dual rate spring.
Storage is great. I really really love the glove box up in front of the gauge. Its perfect for my wallet, cellphone and a few snacks, i just wish that compartment got more engine heat. It stays cold so i am thinking about throwing a 25 watt silicone heat pad in there and see how that works.
Underseat storage holds a large Gatorade and a thin pair of gloves.
Service is incredibly easy so far. Hood comes off with 4 screws. Access to the oil filter is incredibly easy. Filling with new oil is also easy.
Chain tension is easy to adjust with a tool provided. No parts need to be removed. Just pop open the panel and turn the screw. Done.
Oil changes are easy. Theres a drain plug and a huge rubber plug that is removed to fill.
Theres a fill plug to check the level. All bogie wheel bearings are sealed on both sides from the snow. Pretty nice set up.

I had the hurricane 205 tune installed this spring with a new clutch kit just because. Lol, so it should be a lot of fun this coming winter.

I still have my apex and still hang out here. Just dont comment as much.

If theres anything specific you want to know, just ask, pm me.

Dam Bro you’ve actually had more issues than me. I’m sorry for your luck. Hope you have better days ahead!
Yea my turbo blew up twice now. What kit did you have?

It was a used hurricane kit. I blew the chra about 600 miles into the season. It burned about 400 miles after i replaced the chra.
I wont post here what i think happened. If you are curious pm me.

Now im gonna have like 300 pm's. Lol

Call me crazy but i am actually considering selling my spear sled, 06 apex, and buying another viper as a spare. I have so many god dam parts i can fix any problem without actually buying anything new!!

It was a used hurricane kit. I blew the chra about 600 miles into the season. It burned about 400 miles after i replaced the chra.
I wont post here what i think happened. If you are curious pm me.

Now im gonna have like 300 pm's. Lol

Call me crazy but i am actually considering selling my spear sled, 06 apex, and buying another viper as a spare. I have so many god dam parts i can fix any problem without actually buying anything new!!

Yea go figure....same issues as you. I agree now that we have all the issues ciphered out...think I’ll keep the old girl!

Back