• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Remapping update

Note to Yamacat: Refrigerated trailer. Look into it for testing.

Does anybody remember years back Polaris did an unveil of a new machine (ATV or UTV) in a reefer trailer to prove the cold start and cold to warm running capabilities?

-31C and mine wouldn't start. but popped a few times and battery started to slow. We pulled it inside and it sat about 10 to 15 minutes not long enough to warm motor much. I put boost pack on it and it started the second i turned the key. I am not sure what to make of it but disappointed. It does have the reflash done.

Went riding in NORTHERN Manitoba over the last 5 days, temperatures of -26 to -31. On the -31 morning both sleds turned over like the batteries were on their last leg, went to get booster pack and screw driver to pull the seat. Tried again just for shits and giggles cause I really didn't want to pull the seats. Both sleds turned over and fired up like they were in heated shops. All this took about 10 minutes.
Both sleds have had the reflash.
One has 2000 K and 0-40 synthetic, the other has 500 K out of the box oil.

Note to Yamacat: Refrigerated trailer. Look into it for testing.

Does anybody remember years back Polaris did an unveil of a new machine (ATV or UTV) in a reefer trailer to prove the cold start and cold to warm running capabilities?

A very smart move on their part, that Refrigerated trailer would reach a MAX of maybe - 20, (create the illusion of it being cold) a very good option if you are having cold start issues.

Last edited:
Well I guess I'll have to test mine at home and see what it does. I plan to pull it out of the shop, take it for a quick ride to burn the moisture out then park outside in the open to see what it does.

Forecast right now is only down to 6°f though. Sunday overnight is -14°f unless that changes.

For reference on the Polaris thing it was 2003: http://atvconnection.com/articles/2004-polaris-700-efi-2/

and: "Another benefit of EFI is hot-engine and cold-temperature starts. The EFI system claims to start the quad in temperatures as low as -25 degrees and as high as 120 degrees. Polaris demonstrated the machine’s ability to adapt to temperature changes by starting it in the back of a refrigerated semi-trailer at -20 degrees, then driving it out into the heat of a 95-degree day. Even with the 115-degree temperature swing, the engine didn’t miss a beat; it simply sat and idled."

-31C and mine wouldn't start. but popped a few times and battery started to slow. We pulled it inside and it sat about 10 to 15 minutes not long enough to warm motor much. I put boost pack on it and it started the second i turned the key. I am not sure what to make of it but disappointed. It does have the reflash done.

Have your battery tested, as with any EFI you need enough power for a good spark and having enough power to turn over the sled does not mean you have enough voltage to power the ignition correctly. BTW every since my Phazer days I carry an automotive jumper box with a cord that has male cig lighter connections on both ends. Plug into dash and box and BAM instant start. Have not had to use it with the Viper though.

Have your battery tested, as with any EFI you need enough power for a good spark and having enough power to turn over the sled does not mean you have enough voltage to power the ignition correctly. BTW every since my Phazer days I carry an automotive jumper box with a cord that has male cig lighter connections on both ends. Plug into dash and box and BAM instant start. Have not had to use it with the Viper though.
I bought that same cord. Have not used it yet but thought it would be good to have in my bag.

I just got back from the UP with mine. Left my 70 deg shop popped right off, loaded on the trailer. Got to the shack it was -10 and I rode my new Pro S 800 sb that night. It did not want to start but is in breakin so extra oil from pump and 1 qt in gas. went to bed got up the next morning and went to start the viper (it got to -20) and nothing. The battery was frozen solid when I pulled it and had cracked the case. It took 5 hrs to ride into town find a battery get it set up and fully charged. Rode back and itstalled it. It was -5 hit the button and it fired first turn. I rode about 60 miles and stopped for supper. Came out and it was dark hit the switch and it fired right up but no headlight. Rode at 5 to 10 mph 18 miles back to shack in total pitch dark, 1 mile from home I heard a click and the headlight cam on. Rode another 40 miles that night shutting it off - no hot or cold start issues I have not gotten the re-flash.

Spoke to Yamaha today regarding the reflash, according to them the reflash was to fix the hot start issue after you would ride, shut it off bs for awhile and then try to restart it. it was not for cold start issue. They did have information regarding cold starts and said that breaking the motor in fully seemed to fix it. I let them know it wasnt fixed on mine. Oh well back to the drawing board

Like I said before, at minus 31 both sleds turned over like they had nearly dead batteries. they sat about 10 minutes and turned over and started like they were warm.
Both have stock batteries but acted like they had lithium batteries that needed to be cycled.

Question for those having a cold start issue? Do you have your battery on a trickle charger overnight or not, when trying to start at very cold temps? I haven't taken mine in for the reflash yet, but I have had absolutely no cold start issues. I always plug my sled into a trickle charger overnight and it starts right up every time. This week I've started it up at -25F and -15F and it fired up right away every time. Wondering if I take it in for the reflash, if it will behave the same.

I'm in the same boat. Going north in a couple weeks. Never had any issues before, I also never put it on a charger over night. Usually have it on the charger before the season starts to make sure its good to go. Other then that I just ride. Still undecided on the flash update. Might speak with my dealer about it tho. Coldest outside temps I've seen with this sled was around -10. I rode mostly last year during the fun polar vortex!

Subaru2006

Question for those having a cold start issue? Do you have your battery on a trickle charger overnight or not, when trying to start at very cold temps? I haven't taken mine in for the reflash yet, but I have had absolutely no cold start issues. I always plug my sled into a trickle charger overnight and it starts right up every time. This week I've started it up at -25F and -15F and it fired up right away every time. Wondering if I take it in for the reflash, if it will behave the same.

I have never used a trickle charger on any vehicle or sled all the back to my 66 Pontiac. Either the charging system is good or not and the battery is good or not. Booster cables are another story.

i do not have a trickle charger. the way mine acted could have been poor battery. I did crank quite long tho. i have update.

Back