• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Replacement Oil Filter

Run yamaha filters and oil,no hassle finding the right part#,you just buy the kit and be done with it,if i'm gonna spend big money on these sleds,i wont be cheaping out on what's making it run

YammyRX1 said:
I read somewhere that the Mobil European 0W-40 blend is better than their regular grade. It is a true synthetic and the other isn't or something like that. I bought some for the next oil change but haven't used it yet.

Edit: Here's another thread

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... l+european

Mobil-1 0W-40 European Formula and a Hi-Flo filter (HF-147) is what I have run in my Vector since I bought it 5 years ago.

Oil change costs me $40 bucks where a Yamalube filter and oil change will cost you around $90. It's a no brainer to me.

CDN Tire has the Mobil-1 on sale this week for around $8.50 a litre and the Hi-Flo filters can be purchased at most motorcycle/atv shops ;)!

Napa or Farm and fleet has mobil 1 0-30 for $6 on sale and the oem yam filter gives you more clearance with no skid plate rubbing.

Yamadooed said:
Napa or Farm and fleet has mobil 1 0-30 for $6 on sale and the oem yam filter gives you more clearance with no skid plate rubbing.

Zero, zilch, nada skid plate rubbing with a Hi Flo filter either, and it's priced less than half of what a Yamaha filter is. ;)!

I got the Yamaha kit from Port Yamaha for like $45. I thought this was cheap compared to things like bearings, gas, mirror kits, etc. I would never consider using an aftermarket filter unless I knew it was yamaha's supplier. Heck you guys should change oil on my outboard 7 quarts and marine grade oil ain't cheap!!!

davessrx said:
I got the Yamaha kit from Port Yamaha for like $45. I thought this was cheap compared to things like bearings, gas, mirror kits, etc. I would never consider using an aftermarket filter unless I knew it was yamaha's supplier. Heck you guys should change oil on my outboard 7 quarts and marine grade oil ain't cheap!!!

It's your money, and unless you know something I don't know, you're simply wasting it.

Heard it numerous times, Yamaha filters are actually re-branded Hi Flo filters, meaning Hi Flo makes filters for Yamaha, only thing different is, the Yamaha logo is on the side.
http://www.getprice.com.au/hiflofiltro- ... 395922.htm

Vectornut said:
When you pay 13,000 plus for a new sled, you should stick with OEM oils and filters etc. Why skimp on replacements parts when Yamaha makes the best products for your ride.

Exactly.

If you are Yamaha are you sourcing the highest quality parts or the parts that will meet your warranty requirements and allow you to make a high mark-up and the most profit? I wouldn't just assume that Yamaha makes the best of everything, sometimes yes, sometimes no. And they rarely make their own items, just re-brand and jack up the price. Can't really make a blanket statement here other than you will always be safe buying Yamaha and probably be spending more.

Irv said:
Heard it numerous times, Yamaha filters are actually re-branded Hi Flo filters, meaning Hi Flo makes filters for Yamaha, only thing different is, the Yamaha logo is on the side.
http://www.getprice.com.au/hiflofiltro- ... 395922.htm

Manufacturer doesn't mean much, manufactured specifications is what counts. Basically how it works is that Yamaha bids out requirements for a filter, and numerous manufacturers apply. The manufacturer might change often, but the specs don't. One interesting thing is that those bids sometimes specify that the manufacturer can NOT manufacturer and sell the identical filter under their own brand.

Again, back to bypass valve spring pressure. I'm used to this on an automotive side. Subaru used to source wix filters, now they are Fram. If you cut open the cross referenced fram filter and a fram manufacturer OEM filter, they have very little resemblance. Construction is different, and bypass spring is MUCH heavier in the OEM one.

Seriously where you going to get 5 quarts of a 0w-30 rated oil, a filter and plug seals for less than $45? How much GAS to spend driving around? Maybe I feel better about it since Port Yammi is on my way home from work and it's nice to support a locally owned business. I'd rather give Mike and Kevin at Port $45 than pay $30 for the exact same stuff at a big box store. 1 oil change a year, a few bucks is meaningless in this sport. Its not like were own 2 strokes and burn gallons upon gallons a year.

davessrx said:
Seriously where you going to get 5 quarts of a 0w-30 rated oil, a filter and plug seals for less than $45? How much GAS to spend driving around? Maybe I feel better about it since Port Yammi is on my way home from work and it's nice to support a locally owned business. I'd rather give Mike and Kevin at Port $45 than pay $30 for the exact same stuff at a big box store. 1 oil change a year, a few bucks is meaningless in this sport. Its not like were own 2 strokes and burn gallons upon gallons a year.

If I thought Yamalube was worth the money they charged for it, then I'd likely run it too, but when you read info such as this and realize you're just throwing your money away on an inferior, run of the mill oil, then I have no qualms buying it elsewhere.

I do support my dealer, but purchasing oil and filters from them, is something I'll never do.
(Fool me once..........)
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=1242718

that was 10w-40 oil. Find that report on the 0w-30 because all the stuff we use at work in this weight is at least a semi-syn and is very expensive.

Irv - you pay some stupid prices up there in Canada if memory serves right? FWIW - 15,000 miles on my 05 Vec running the 0-30 semi-syn Yamaha stuff. was told by somebody on this board that I trust that the Yamaha oil is ester based which is good I hear.

Irv the dealer that is telling you for a oil & filter for your sled from yamaha is $90.00 is give you the shaft. The filter is made by DENSO in japan my dealer in canada charges 13.00 for oil a qt an the filter is 15.00, so the total is 54 so you are getting ripped and the yamaha is a good oil , I have a buddy who works for a a a AMSOIL an test the yamaha an told that it is a good oil, also I do not know why some one would pay 13k for a sled an complain about once a year an spend $50 for oil. When a good gallon of 2 stroke is about the same an you have to buy on a good year 3-4 gallons,

Back