• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse Kit in Apex Mountain from Non-Mountain Apex?

Vincenthdfan

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex MTX
Hello all, I want to install a reverse kit in my '06 Apex Mountain as the 162" track makes it hella difficult to turn around in tight spots!!

I want to buy a used kit but the only ones Im able to find are out of non-mountain apex's.

Although fitment is the same, this creates a gearing change.

Is the gearing change manageable or will it be too radical of a power/grunt change for the hills?

Thanks! ;)!

Vincenthdfan said:
Hello all, I want to install a reverse kit in my '06 Apex Mountain as the 162" track makes it hella difficult to turn around in tight spots!!

I want to buy a used kit but the only ones Im able to find are out of non-mountain apex's.

Is the gearing change manageable or will it be too radical of a power/grunt change for the hills?

Thanks! ;)!

I'm pretty sure they made a version, at least in the latter years, that had stock reverse.....

If so, maybe you could find a sled being perted out.

Mike

Sorry, no way to answer this - it depends on the specific sled you get the reverse kit from, their have been quite a few different gears for different sleds & elevations.

On the Apex MTX, get the biggest gear you can on the bottom, because the smallest upper you can realistically run is a 19t, which is almost necessary when running some of the better tracks. You don't want to get stuck with a bottom gear that requires an 18t upper, it won't be efficient.

Mark

Vincenthdfan said:

Thanks! ;)!

A reverse kit for the MTX will have a 40 tooth running gear. The non MTX kits will have a smaller gear. Besides that everything will be the same.

My Apex MTX 08 came with a 40 tooth on the bottom and a 20 tooth on the top. I have since changed the top to a 22 tooth for more friendly trail riding as I don't get to play in powder as much as I wish. There is a great chart that shows all the different gear ration combinations available in the apex and what size chain is needed.
Your options are go with a 38t non MTX reverse or find an MTX reverse with the 40 tooth bottom.
If you did go to the 38 tooth bottom out of a non MTX apex you will change your gear ratio from 2.00 stock to 1.90. I went from the 2.00 to 1.82 ratio and personally like that. It gave me some more top end when on the trails and when playing in the powder I didn't really notice any power loss in powder. Now this was only like 3 ft of snow and max depth of 7-9 ft drifts whereas you might notice it in 10 feet of fluff.
The problem with going to a the 38 tooth gear is you will not be able to go any taller of a gear ratio than 1.90 as that is the lowest recommended. Im sure if you were to make a shorter chain it would work with an 18T or 19T but in the Apex Manual it doesn't even show the ratio with those smaller top gears.

Back