• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Review of new Nytro SkidPlate by Roest Racing

YamahaFreak said:
I like the idea of this skid, def looks like it will help from impact a bit

Thanks, if you are riding a Nytro with just the "protector plate" you are leaving yourself open to a world of hurt. Just ask the people who have found out the hard way. There are a lot of people out there doing just that.

Has anyone installed one after installing the yamaha plate? I had to drill out the mounting holes to install the Yamaha one. Will this one still work?

marsh14 said:
Has anyone installed one after installing the yamaha plate? I had to drill out the mounting holes to install the Yamaha one. Will this one still work?

I will answer that... Yes.... I had the float plate on my nytro prior to getting the Roest plate so I had the holes drilled in my panels as well. I just used the same drilled holes with big washers. I put the Roest plate in the proper spot replacing the factory plastic plate and then just put the screws in through the panels then roest plate and tightened them down.

I will try to get a pic later today...

marsh14 said:

Absolutely. The stock hole size was 8mm to capture the OEM plastic push type fastener. Installing rivnuts to fasten a plastic skidplate requires enlarging holes to 10mm. For installing a Roest skidplate that 10mm hole will work just fine, just get rid of the rivnut by sanding off the head. Roest instructions actually say to enlarge the hole to 3/8"(9.53mm) but 10mm is just as good because you're going to snap in a U nut.

Littlehoe said:
marsh14 said:

I will answer that... Yes.... I had the float plate on my nytro prior to getting the Roest plate so I had the holes drilled in my panels as well. I just used the same drilled holes with big washers. I put the Roest plate in the proper spot replacing the factory plastic plate and then just put the screws in through the panels then roest plate and tightened them down.

I will try to get a pic later today...

If I am understanding you correctly you have installed the skidplate incorrectly. The skid plate gets fastened independently of the side panels. No need for big washers. The Roest skid plate gets fastened, then the plastic panels slide into place and get fastened, just like OEM. No fasteners go through the holes that were drilled in the plastic panels to mount plastic skid plate.

marsh14 said:
Thanks. I just pulled off my skid plate and saw that it has been rubbing on my oil filter.

Shipped. You should have it Thursday. You'll be good to go for the weekend!

I've tried to order several times using paypal,not working ,don't know why. Will order one as soon as I can order over the phone. Like someone stated earlier on this post, really cheap insurance. Don't know why anyone wouldn't spend a few bucks to possibly save an engine. :Rockon:

marsh14 said:
Thanks. I just pulled off my skid plate and saw that it has been rubbing on my oil filter.

Does your oil filter hang below the bottom of the engine sump pan?? I took mine off and its rubbing on the oil pan. The oil filter is at least another 1/2" higher than the pan bottom so unless massively deformed the skid plate would contact the oil pan first. :drink:

Just ordered mine today...IMHO the best snowmobile skidplate I have ever seen, more then worth the $$ for the peace of mind next winter.

Back