• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Right and Left Side Cover Removal On The GT?

Nice Rumble

Expert
What's the trick to remove the right and left side covers on the GT? I'm following the manual and it says to loosen the dzus fasteners then remove the panel. Well it's not that easy. What's holding it from coming off? Why did Yamaha have to make it so difficult?

What do you guys do to make it easier?

you have to slide it forward, they hook under the gas tank schrod. Also a couple rubber grommets near front and bottom. Give it a tug, it come off. Start with bottom.

Its not difficult at all. Get down on the floor and look at the bottom side of the side panels and up towards the front you will see a little notch to fit your finger tips in, Pull out on the panel there. There is a plastic dart that snugly fits into a rubber grommet. Then it was almost fall off in your hands. ===SRXSRULE===

After you have the dzus fastener undone pull out on the bottom/front of the cover. Then slide forward just an inch and the cover should be off. Once you do it a couple times you will get the hang!

Once it is removed you will find you can"t see anything anyway. The real challauge is getting the air box off. I dinked with it for an hour and finally gave up. Had the windshield off, the headlight out , hoses disconected and still couldn"t get it to budge. Ended up lose one of those clip-on nuts that hold the windshied housing. Not something you want to do on the trail. I stuck a tow strap in the back, if it quits I'll tow it back.

Something I have done on my motorcycles (they have lots of those tab-grommet connectors) is to put a little vasiline on the tab and operate a couple times to work it in, then when you have to get it off it will come. I have actually broken side covers on bikes because the tab has stuck so hard to the rubber grommet. :o|

Back