• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS engine/performance mods, anyone doing any? UPDATE12/30/10

Dubblerage

Veteran
I'm currently in process of getting my 07 Nytro ported. I have spoke with Ulmer Racing, which was very helpful. He pretty much told me that not a whole lot of people tear these down and start modding them. He made a good point to say that if they wanted performance, they would have bought the 4 cylinder models, which I can't agree more with him. But anyways, I'm doin it! My brother is porting it for me, he got me a thin head gasket, and there are a few more ideas we have for some hp gains.

My question is this: has anyone done any air box mods that actually work with these carbs? Has anyone messed around with getting larger diameter flex pipes, since they seem pretty small and have a big old weld that will restrict flow. I am planning on a larger diameter header pipe and clutch kit....but what else has anyone done??? I kinda want to get quite a bit more hp out of this motor....all stock motors are conservative. What do you guys think?

I too would like to getmore power out of my RAGE. I also think there is more power in that motor. but no one want's to mod them.

The only HP mods I've seen on this site for the RS engine all includs either a turbo or a supercharger. Besides that you can increase your hp/weight ration by making the sled lighter. Pretty sure you knew that already ;)!

Would be cool to see some other engine mods (not including turbo or sc) that could add some 10-20 HP.

Don't mess with the air box! This has been talked about here for years and there are test results that show a drop in performance when modifying the box or replacing it.

Twomorestrokes is right! I sent my carbs and airbox to a crotch rocket-sled tuner out of Alabama(previousily out of NY) before putting any miles on my sled and he tested them on a flow bench to install flo commanders on and the stock airbox gave better results than a K&N setup and modded airbox. The stock breather hose in the airbox was also restricting some flow to the right most carb so he relocated with a new hose with a different bend to it...

Agreed on the airbox.......sort of.

Once I get this ported, I will do some modding of the airbox. I heard the same stuff you guys have, but honestly, look at the opening on the bottom of the airbox.....can you say "SMALL"? I will try opening that up by approx half or so, change to lighter carb springs, maybe a bit of jetting too. I know that they have the CV carbs, so you don't want to go too ridiculous or you can get in trouble. But hey, I'll be the tester on this. If all works well, I can get you in touch with my brother, who is doing my porting. He has been doing it for about 15 years.

Another power gain, I'm pretty sure, will be by those flex pipes. Right where they bolt up to the head, there is a weld in there that decreases the exhaust size.......decreased flow=decrease/lost power.

We'll get there....I'll keep posting on results

It's your time and air box. Don't think you're the first one to doubt the others who have tried and modify your own. There are even dyno graphs posted here somewhere. Bigger is not always better. But please let us know how it works.

I understand. I will be doing a lot of reading before cutting. There has to be a correct combination with opening up that box though. That opening is almost humorous. I did hear many times to leave the box alone, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I'm just going off the theory to 'LET IT BREATHE' !

There is a higher power combo somewhere out there. I started a bunch of stuff, but lack of interest from others and the new Nytro 1049 engine have led me away from further development.

Header info
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=21102

Keihin 39FCR (flatslides!) project... I'll let this go for at a loss. PM me for details.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ght=keihin

Another flow loss on the Gen 120 is side draft CVcarbs feeding a down draft head. I have some down draft CV carbs from a Kawaski, but they'll take some work to fit up and jet. They also want to occupy some of the space that the headlight takes up.... and then the air box isn't even close to fitting/working.

Re: RS engine/performance mods....anyone doing any?

Dubblerage said:
.... Has anyone messed around with getting larger diameter flex pipes, since they seem pretty small and have a big old weld that will restrict flow.

I got the complete exhaust from Aaron Excell @ Excell Motorsports on my 06 Nytro. Header pipes are larger and collector is quite a bit larger. A tad spendy but it does offer some gains........as the old saying goes "Speed costs money......how fast you want to go?"

what about a newer nitro or 2010 vector head. then Ulmers cheaper nitro kits with the cast iron header for turbo would bolt up. does anybody know if they would fit.

I would like this to look as stock as possible. If I were going to spend the cash on a big bore or really start getting into hi comp stuff, I'd probably just rather invest in a turbo. If I'm going to invest over a grand, I'd probably just save for a turbo. I guess my goal is to still maintain reliability. I used to have an Excell header and silencer (loudener) on my 06 Rage, which I do believed helped for sure. Along with the Ulmer clutch kit, it seemed to make a pretty big difference. But now I know what kind of gains that gave, so If I can get more out of what I have now, then add those back on, should be rockin then :Rockon: .

I really like the info that bjowett gave out a few posts back on the flex pipes. I didn't even know he was on to that back then, but that's what I was thinking about. Since the smallest diameter opening on the exhaust is the very first piece (flex pipe), you could go to 20 inch after that and still be pushing out the same flow......you know what I mean. The exhaust is only going to flow as well as it's smallest diameter. So I was thinking of opening those up, then use the aftermarket header....possibly the muffler, if it were to help.

Hey bjowett.....how did those end up working for you? Ever get any dyno numbers off them? Do you know what helped/didn't help? Also, where did you end up getting those flex pipes? Or did you make them yourself?

Back