• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS engine/performance mods, anyone doing any? UPDATE12/30/10

They are lighter springs, allow the carb slides to open faster due to a bit less vacuum required to open them. Also helps with throttle response

You can raise your needle by putting 1 or 2 washers under it. The plastic shims that are used under the clips on flatsides.

Yea, that exactly what I am going to do. I still have to hit the parts store to get some. My carb springs from Ulmer Racing came today, so I will try and get those installed tonight, see if they help.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE 12/30/10

Sorry everyone, It's been soooo long since I've been on here. I have a 11 month old kid now, with another on the way, and when the snow left here in Feb/March, the sled slid out of mind. SOOOOOO, since then:

My brother has hooked me up with a kick #*$&@ AFR meter for my sled. I got a bung welded up on my exhaust and installed the 02 sensor in it and got the AFR hooked up. Even got a sweet little meter wired up on the bars.

First off, as I said, i put two 1 and 1/4 holes in the air box which was too much, so i plugged one off. I put some spacers on the needles, about .020 or so, since there are no clip settings. I found that the sled basically runs around really high 13's to mid 14's on the AFR, which means we get good gas mileage, but not exceptional for power.

Then, today, i bought some mains for it. Stock jets are 148's for the mains, and 45's for the pilot. I can't find any pilots around here, since no one really messes with these so this might be a bit of a challenge to tune in really fast. I ended up buying some 155's for the mains. I drilled and pulled out the caps for the fuel screws, and opened them up a 1/4 turn. Then I pulled out the plug for the other hole. The AFR showed mid to higher 14's everywhere but wide open which tells me I think I need bigger pilots and need to open up the fuel screws some more. But when I held it wide open, from what I can gather while trying not to hit anything, we are in the higher 12's on the AFR, which tells me MORE AIR!!!! It also seemed to pull pretty decent, especially for it being in the mid 30's tonight. So tomorrow I am going to open up the fuels screws some more, maybe space up the needles some more, and go buy some 158's or 160 mains. O yea, and another hole in the air box. I need to be careful on the mid range, since I think it's getting to be pushing it for lean conditions. But luckily I have that AFR on it to keep an eye on it.

Another thing, the lighter springs, I think they are Holtzman's, seem to make the AFR jump really lean when I initially gas it, so i may try the stock carb springs back in it, just to see what kind of difference it makes. These may not be ideal for what I am trying to do.

I know people say to not mod the air box, but I'm doing it. I can always plug it and go back to where I was. I just need to get this thing some more air and fuel and see what it does. I have that 600 Polaris Switchback to gauge against, so that will be a tell-tale sign if it runs better. Plus, I raced a new 600 Polaris Rush; he took me off the holeshot and a bit in the mid, but I ran him down on top especially after 70mph. I don't know if those have a chip that burns off, but regardless, if I can get him all-around, I know I'm doing better. This is the only way I can tell if I'm making more power, since I have no dyno available.

Again, nice to be back and any info/input is always appreciated. Sorry for "going missing" for awhile!

Back