• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rubbing sound at front of skid

Just throwing this out there being as most Viper have the skid mounted not square to drivers/axle. Check to see if your Anti Stab wheels are hitting the sides of the track lugs, causing a vibration. Something else to check that's all. It took me a lot of fiddling and adjusting the track to get it "square" enough that all the idlers run somewhat where their suppose to be...I also took my Anti Stab idlers off because the track (the inside lugs) would always catch them and cause a vibration.

IMG_5885.jpg
If all you do is stick your head under the machine and look it will not be apparent that the skid will hit the drive sprocket cog. If you compress the front of the suspension way up it will hit. I am not too pleased to have purchased a crossover sled that now has no option for which mounting hole the front skid frame can attach to. Does anybody know if the 2017 skid rails have been modified/shortened to prevent this from happening?

Does your sled not have two sets of holes in the front? If you put it in the lower holes they are also a bit further back. They dont need to change the rails, they just need to put them in the right holes from the factory. They didnt on most.

Does your sled not have two sets of holes in the front? If you put it in the lower holes they are also a bit further back. They dont need to change the rails, they just need to put them in the right holes from the factory. They didnt on most.[/QUOTE

I have already moved my skid frame down to the lower hole on the front and the to the center hole on the rear per the bulletin. I disagree with the thinking that there are "right" and "wrong" holes to bolt the skid frame to. A snowmobile should have multiple skid frame mounting holes so that a rider can adjust their sled to fit their needs. Raising the front of the skid and lowering the back puts more pressure on the skis and doing the opposite would of course do the opposite. The fact that arctic cat is claiming that they were simply just mounted in the "wrong hole" from the assembly line is a way for them to excuse their way out of a more costly bulletin fix, such as providing all new shorter skid frame rails to allow rider choice in which holes to mount their skid frame.

Last edited:
My 15 RTX started the rubbing noise at 5,100 miles this past weekend. I will be lowering the skid tomorrow. Glad to see I am not alone as I was a little baffled looking it over yesterday.

Hi all. Just signed up on TY!!

Has anyone lowered the skids on 14/15 XTX's, or is this only on 16's? Any preference?

I did drop mine down but had to mill a slight amount out of the rail adjuster to get a little bit more out of it. Moving the skid down and back takes up quite a bit of slack. This is on a 14 XTX. I can't imagine many other folks doing this, but have seen a few stories with extension kits.

Hi all. Just signed up on TY!!

Has anyone lowered the skids on 14/15 XTX's, or is this only on 16's? Any preference?

I did drop mine down but had to mill a slight amount out of the rail adjuster to get a little bit more out of it. Moving the skid down and back takes up quite a bit of slack. This is on a 14 XTX. I can't imagine many other folks doing this, but have seen a few stories with extension kits.
Welcome and Merry Christmas!

Old post but thought I would add that I just bought a 2016 XTX SE this spring with 1500 miles on the clock that is still mounted in the incorrect upper holes. Only was rubbing on one rail tip though as the previous owner must have hit a stump (or something buried in the snow) with the right rail tip as its bent up 1/2" higher than the left. Guess the solution is the go ride and whack the other side on something instead of taking the trouble to move it down/back...j/k.....its in my basement now getting ready to swap out the rail so I can get the track alignment back. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Hello;-)

Found this tread to day, and i have the same issue. I read that to solve the issue, you have to losser the front skid mount to the lower hole.

But my question is, how does the sled react to these changed? Will the change make the sled bee lighter on the skiis?

I had a front air shock that was losing air from the fill valve and when it got low mine would rub big time. As soon as I pumped the shock back up it would quit. I got the fill valve replaced and only had one incident that the rub happened this past winter.
I will put the skid frame to the lower hole just to be safe. Thanks to all for the great info

I had a front air shock that was losing air from the fill valve and when it got low mine would rub big time. As soon as I pumped the shock back up it would quit. I got the fill valve replaced and only had one incident that the rub happened this past winter.
I will put the skid frame to the lower hole just to be safe. Thanks to all for the great info

well im havi the exact same problem on my LTX except i dont have the lower holes!! I wonder if it is that front shock in the skid that is the problem??

Ok, sorry to have to revisit this with a new question, but is lowering to the lower and middle holes only necessary on the 16' 141"'s? My 15 is in that position, and the track is bango tight with the rear axle allllll the way forward. Seems from what Ive read, there may have been a change to the 16 and newer?? and the 15's didnt have an issue in the upper holes??

Back