• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rx-1 2005 Turbo Cranks but won't start, IDK what to do...Help!

Glad to hear you have it running, make sure that you always let it warm up before you turn it back off.
You are starting with quite a snowmobile for your first lead, there are a few extra things to do you on a turbo sled, talk to the fellow that installed it and he can probably give you a lot of pointers.
Good luck and have a great winter.

The reason it likely didn't start, there was no gas in the carbs. That's why I asked about switch on the fuel pump. I was assume there is an electric fuel pump somewhere on the sled. Follow the fuel line from the tank, should go to an electric pump, then it would go a fuel regulator, then off the carbs. The sled would have come with 2 pulse type fuel pumps, they get replaced with an electric pump. People used to wire the pump into the key circuit, but if the engine died, sled rolled, etc. The electric pump would keep running filling the engine with fuel. So that idea changed to supply power to the pump when the engine was running only. When cranking the key, the pump would not come on till the engine was running. So if you have switch, can prime the fuel system for couple seconds. The carbs get fuel, engine starts much better.

Biggest issue is likely going to be the header/exhaust manifold. They seem to crack a lot, once you hear any type of exhaust leak. Time to stop & get it repaired!

The reason it likely didn't start, there was no gas in the carbs. That's why I asked about switch on the fuel pump. I was assume there is an electric fuel pump somewhere on the sled. Follow the fuel line from the tank, should go to an electric pump, then it would go a fuel regulator, then off the carbs. The sled would have come with 2 pulse type fuel pumps, they get replaced with an electric pump. People used to wire the pump into the key circuit, but if the engine died, sled rolled, etc. The electric pump would keep running filling the engine with fuel. So that idea changed to supply power to the pump when the engine was running only. When cranking the key, the pump would not come on till the engine was running. So if you have switch, can prime the fuel system for couple seconds. The carbs get fuel, engine starts much better.

Biggest issue is likely going to be the header/exhaust manifold. They seem to crack a lot, once you hear any type of exhaust leak. Time to stop & get it repaired!
are the manifold's expensive?

Yes, if you could even find one anymore. Likely more $ than you paid for the whole sled. I'm not 100% what header you have, it sure looks like the mcx turbo. But could be any header that was put on it. When it does crack, they all do. Just need to find somebody that can tig weld stainless steel. Lots of places in Edmonton that can do that.

Just from listening to your questions I don't think a turbo sled is something that you should be messing with. You need to get some serious instructions on what it takes to maintain one of these sleds. These sleds are very complicated and not really a machine for a snowmobile newby.

Ken................

Without knowing the specs on the build or what kind of boost you are running it is hard to tell what you need to do but that thing is probably very nasty. 1st buy a real good helmet. Does it have an AFR & boost gauge? The rx is a carbed motor and the jetting is very important. Knowing what altitude it was jetted for and where your going to ride it along with the octane requirements is very important. Is the head shimmed or lowered compression pistons are all questions you will need to know from the builder. The guy you bought it from should know what was done to it, or get a hold of the builder.

1 fun burn on the wrong octane or altitude for the jetting can lead to massive melt down - ask me how I know? been there done that!

I tried for years to run rx's with turbos ad they are a handful to get right. Nowdays with fuel injection life is so much easier.

last heard from on nov 28th this is a newbie that is starting out on a turbo rx1 has anyone gone out to check on him? kidding of course but wow jump in with both feet goos luck.

last heard from on nov 28th this is a newbie that is starting out on a turbo rx1 has anyone gone out to check on him? kidding of course but wow jump in with both feet goos luck.
It's not like I haven't ever ridden a snowmobile, I just never owned one so I don't know how to maintain it and I also don't know how to jump and do crazy tricks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hey it is a great piece of machinery I am glad that people are taking on the task of getting them back out on the snow.

I hope it gets worked out and you enjoy the daylights out of the thing! What you have there someone probably spent $15,000 or more in the day to build and get running right. It is like a thoroughbred race horse, it will be a bit finicky but boy when it feels like running just hold on and let her do her thing:die

I know I miss the old 03 RX MTN I had with a bender turbo on it. Even though I only had a handful of good rides on it when I lit the wick I had trouble keeping the water in my eyes!

Hey it is a great piece of machinery I am glad that people are taking on the task of getting them back out on the snow.

I hope it gets worked out and you enjoy the daylights out of the thing! What you have there someone probably spent $15,000 or more in the day to build and get running right. It is like a thoroughbred race horse, it will be a bit finicky but boy when it feels like running just hold on and let her do her thing:die

I know I miss the old 03 RX MTN I had with a bender turbo on it. Even though I only had a handful of good rides on it when I lit the wick I had trouble keeping the water in my eyes!

That's because the Bender fueling system sucked, as did their lack of muffler, and crude oil scavenge system, etc,etc. MCX was so far ahead when it came to boost sensing and fuel calibration. I put over 6000 flawless mountain miles on an MCX 03RX1 riding from 800-8400 ft. Never rejetted once dialed in, and the only thing I ever changed from stock is changed the source of the fuel pressure regulator sensing line from intercooler to intake manifold. I never rode with a Bender that did not require some sort of attention during a ride.

Reactions: RED
Does anyone know how I am suppose to check my oil, on the dash, the left circle of the 3 small one flashes when I start and run the sled for a while.

Sounds like the sled did not come with the owners manual. Best to get online and buy one. It will answer most questions you will have and familiarize you with the sled, gauges, diagnostics etc.

Sounds like the sled did not come with the owners manual. Best to get online and buy one. It will answer most questions you will have and familiarize you with the sled, gauges, diagnostics etc.
I'll look into it. Do you have any idea where I can check the oil?

Back