• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Schmidt Bros. Ball Joint Upgrade

I did mine myself. I can't say how much difference it makes, because I put my M10 in at the same time. It seems to keep the front end planted a little better as far as I can tell. I've heard it makes more of a difference on the Nytro. Cheap and easy mod.

Yeah, I took off .100". The M10 is a completely different rear skid made by FAST.

Thanks guys! I've gathered enough info already as well as a few more search results. Also found the website on your M10 suspension Jeff...looks interesting.

:-o

well since these ball joints dont last that long sending your set away might be a waste of money ,I would check your current set first. And it you need joints just buy '09 and up ball joints they have this done to them already.

I don't think they changed them on the Phazers. The Nytro got the change in 09. Part numbers are the same on all Phazers, but also the same on all the FX Nytros, so maybe they are shipping the updated replacement ball joints for everything.

Jeffz said:
I don't think they changed them on the Phazers. The Nytro got the change in 09. Part numbers are the same on all Phazers, but also the same on all the FX Nytros, so maybe they are shipping the updated replacement ball joints for everything.
I know they have changed I measured the both of them there is a difference of 1.65 mil and they are 2nd gen

I just bought a used 09 as well as having an 08. I'll get into them after the season is over. Curious to see if there is a difference in the ball joints once I take them off.

I'll machine them down as per everyone's recomendation. I'll also drill a grease hole down the center of the ball joint shaft and add a grease fitting. You can buy rod ends with grease fittings, but it's not hard to add one yourself if you have access to machine shop equipment. Should help them last longer.

I'm a full service machine shop with full CNC capabilities. Not to take anything away from Schmidt Bros, but something so simple as turning down some rods ends, I can do here. I know when I can't do something and use the service of others. I plan to buy thier clutch kit later this year.

My first priority with both my Phazers is to do all the steering bushings...can't stand the sloppy steering! My 09 has so little milage on it ( less than 1200miles) and has loose steering also. I actually played with a brand new one on the showroom recently and it seems these things are sloppy from new! I'm contemplating grease fittings on every steering bushing if possible and even grease lines with a central manifold for one shot greasing. Not uncommon to have a grease manifold on machinery with lines running to all bushings, but I'll have to see if this is doable on the Phazer.

I will be tearing into my sleds over the summer and I'll report anything I do to them that I can contribute to you guys.

Machinist- I did my own set of A-Arm bushing last year, as well as a set for my brother. You can't find the exact size Oillite bushings "off the shelf", so you need to buy the closest size possible and machine to fit. I think I have a total of $14 and about 2 hours of work in my A-Arm bushings.

Thanks Jeff! :Rockon:

I hear the stock ones are made of plastic?..lol..if so, boy Yamaha is really stretching things cost wise. Steering busings are also plastic...is this true?? I can use oillite, 660 bearing bronze or even the super tough aluminum bronze alloy. I use this AL/bronze for some customers jobs and it lasts forever. Best with an internal spiral grease groove though.

Yeah, they are a split plastic "bushing". Super sloppy! Steering bushing are the same way. Have you looked into Sled Toyz ball joint upgrade? Phazer ball joints can go bad at as little as 500mi. They are made of the alum/bronze alloy.

Back