• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Scoop on 2015 Viper Changes

My Apex shines on the Bigfork River in MN. The Phazer not so good. The Phazer shines on the trails on they way to the river. The Apex, not so good. I would like a Yamaha to do both.

stingray719 said:
WOW, sled motors are about TORQUE not horsepower at least for mountain sleds. That is what makes the Viper fun to ride is the instant torque. Now before SJ chimes in about 2 stroke Cats having more torque you have to understand torque curves and at what RPM range they kick in. Example? Put a 500hp chev small block in your sled hauler with a four place tralier on the back and see how fast you make it over Vail Pass........................

As a rough rule of thumb horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you. Now equate that to 2 foot deep powder and churning a track to get through it, takes torque. For you guys that run flatland of course torque is not what matters to you but horsepower but my post is about mountain sleds.

Bike motors unless huge bike or pulling a trailer need more Hp than torque so trying to equate a winning bike motor to a mountain sled motor seems silly to me.

I do understand TORQUE, going 2stoke to 4stroke in your sled is like going Gas to Diesel in your truck.

Nytros rule said:
stingray719 said:
WOW, sled motors are about TORQUE not horsepower at least for mountain sleds. That is what makes the Viper fun to ride is the instant torque. Now before SJ chimes in about 2 stroke Cats having more torque you have to understand torque curves and at what RPM range they kick in. Example? Put a 500hp chev small block in your sled hauler with a four place tralier on the back and see how fast you make it over Vail Pass........................

As a rough rule of thumb horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you. Now equate that to 2 foot deep powder and churning a track to get through it, takes torque. For you guys that run flatland of course torque is not what matters to you but horsepower but my post is about mountain sleds.

Bike motors unless huge bike or pulling a trailer need more Hp than torque so trying to equate a winning bike motor to a mountain sled motor seems silly to me.

I do understand TORQUE, going 2stoke to 4stroke in your sled is like going Gas to Diesel in your truck.

Yep

a co-worker was up in U.P last week and ran into the guys from Yamaha with a few of the 2015's one was a Apex based chassis with the new 3cycl. motor they would not open the hoods but he knew what was in it by the sound. the other was a Viper with a longer track he said. no decals on any of them,

cacsrx1 said:
horkn said:
cacsrx1 said:
Its 2014 now and R1's are the least competitive in the literbike market and have been for the last couple years.

Tell that to josh Hayes, josh herrin, martin Cardenas, Blake young, tommy and roger Hayden. I'd name more, but I think my point has been made.
How many private guys are racing R1's....next to zero, they can buy any bike they want. Throw enough money at something and hire the best riders you can afford and you should win, it doesn't mean its the best product. Yamaha/Rossi is a perfect example.

How many privateers are there anyways? A couple, total in the ama. Pegram ran an r1 last year and did well at the start of the season. Yamaha is wasting their $ on Rossi. And they ruined the career of ben spies by using him as a guinea pig for Lorenzo's benefit.

That said, it's been said that the phaser has been on its way out for a few years. They could put a different cam in the 850 triple to get more tq. Now that won't get the super HP/ mtn guys hearts pumping, but people buy sleds in the middle range of the manufacturer's offerings.

Yamacat21 said:
Maybe we can all get our wish and get a turbo viper for 2015.
I have been riding blue for a long time. Still waiting !! YAMAHA step up soon!! Don't make me look elsewhere.

100-115 hp 4stroke in the snopro chassis would be killer. Time will tell. Sadly the cost I round see in the 8000 range. But for a good 4stroke your going to spend a bit more

Back