• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shift Fork Shoes

MUSKOKA SIDEWINDER LTX LE

Lifetime Member
Hey Guys !!!
Well after a VERY Successful Radar running season i got bit with the Cat DNA shift fork shoes let go and that was the end of my day and i might add lost $600 that was on the table for top speed and lost by 1 MPH thats right having to conceed because of a CAT prob was a true Pissoff.Now dont get me wrong Jeff who won is a Great guy so that was good and ya cant win them all BUT to have to bow out like that was not how i wanted to finish off the season at NBSSR season.So lets look at this prob since the weekend i know of 2 others same prob so WHY hasnt Cat and Yammy addressed this prob its going to effect us all with 998s.Lets move on to how we fix this what id like to do is replace jackshaft with Apex like Splined shaft has this been done? Thanks In Advance.
Tom

Attachments

• 574027744.jpg
    574027744.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 355
  • 574027845.jpg
    574027845.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 466

I doubt Yamaha will do diddly as they contract CAT for that part of the sled. (I'm assuming that's how the deal works anyways) And I doubt CAT will do much since the problem probably existed since 2012 when the Procross chassis made it's debut. Although in my experience those parts did not break regularly on the 1100, like they do on this one.
When CAT has an issue they want to fix, they usually change models. Keeping the Procross for a new engine like the 998 was kind of a surprise to me. They did get rid of the TCL at that time though...

Mine did the same thing Tom. Bushing went in the top gear, came out of gear, broke the fork shoes. All ears for a solution!!

Yep same old chaincase crap here....Sucks Tom and the timing for this failure is a damn shame.

I really did not think your top of the line Scott Taylor gears would get worn, therefore causing this to happen. I guess the reverse design is just piss poor no matter what gears we use. Grrrrr.

As I said in our call....I think chain tension may be the one thing we must stay on top of to help top gear bushing longevity. With your massive race tune power you are putting down, my guess is the chain stretches alot quickly, even though it is Scotts.

I spent alot of time looking at this when open, and just dont understand the 1.5 turns out that is spec'd in the manual. I have used 1 turn out for a season and half, and now have gone to 3/4 turn out after finger tight. I am of the thinking that the chain tensioner(being spring loaded), gets pushed back against the bolt head under hard acceleration, which in turn applies massive force onto that chain and top gear bushing, all at once. The top gear is splined into the reverse gear, but where chain is, the bushing underneath is taking the hit, and this hard hit wears the bushing, which in turn does not allow for easy sliding fork motion when going into reverse. The more the bushing wears, the harder it becomes to go into reverse/forward and therefore plastic shoes wear/break.

I feel that with a normal tension back off....that chain does not take as much of a hard hit(when hitting the bolt) under hard acceleration, as its tighter to begin with and has little space between tensioner and bolt head. Which in turn would not put so much pressure onto the top gear bushing.

See what Dan H. comes up with on how tight your chain was, how many turns inward can he turn the bolt until its hand tight would go a long way to proving if this may or may not help everyone. I know many sled top gears with/or without oil holes, have great life, while others have short life. I see no rhyme or reason. So Id like to see if those who kept chains tighter may have longer top gear life or not. I think its a viable question to such a poor design we have to deal with.

Dan

It appears the same thing just happened to mine with the shift fork shoe issue. Also a month out of warranty unfortunately.

Anyone have experience with Yamaha doing a “good faith warranty” as I am out of luck with dealer?

I lost my ability to drive forward at the end of last season. Had to exit the lake and drive home in reverse. Repair was covered under YES warranty and the dealer replaced the gear, bushing and shift fork. He is not sure what failed first but he did mention that the original bushing did not have a drill hole for gear oil like the gear did. The replacement has the drill hole so hopefully the new part will make a difference in longevity. 3200 miles NO tune.

Are these shift fork shoes something that should be changed every so often? I have 9600km on my sled and have never changed them. I change my top gear every year and haven’t had any issues with the chaincase thankfully.

This year I have changed all the bearings in the sled, plus installed a new upper and lower gear and chain as mine had no adjustment left.

I know brass shoes are coming soon from Dave M.

I have them in mine and I know they will be the last set I ever buy.

I should of took pics.

Shoes blow out due to side pressure from bad bushing in the top gear. Never seen them blow when the bushing was good but who knows anything can happen.

Are the shoes supposed to have some play and be able to move around when there on the shift fork. I was just wondering if it’s worth switching them out. Or are they supposed to be able to wiggle around on the shift fork and they are just snapping from the gear having too much play in the bushing.

Are the shoes supposed to have some play and be able to move around when there on the shift fork. I was just wondering if it’s worth switching them out. Or are they supposed to be able to wiggle around on the shift fork and they are just snapping from the gear having too much play in the bushing.
They will wiggle around but wont fall off. After in the gear they can not come out unless they break.

Shoes blow out due to side pressure from bad bushing in the top gear. Never seen them blow when the bushing was good but who knows anything can happen.
Yes only break when gear gets sloppy and pops out of gear. The reason the brass shoes are best is because they will not break and you can limp it home. When shoes break most of the time it will not go forward.

Who is making the brass shoes i want a set for sure when they are available
I just spent 40 bucks installing new cheapo arctic cat ones

Really can't see the brass ones lasting any better

Back