• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sick of all the hype

Hopefully they can get more than 150hp from the motor alone to surpass the genesis, so let's say hypothetically the motor itself gets 163 then they add EXUP to grab a few more ponies I think there is much potential there. I'm really concerned with the sound. I love the sound of a 4 banger and it is a huge plus for me on my Apex. Traditionally Yamaha has been extremely good with exhaust sound so good in fact that Lexus sent their LFA to Yamaha music to achieve their extremely unique exhaust note on that 400000$ car. No doubt Yamaha won't disappoint with their motorcycle/snowmobile. The nytro has 130hp stock no?

Alright I'm done with this guessing game the current Apex 2011-2013 is using this cross plane technology already in it's 4 cylinder guess they are coming out with a 3 cylinder version but looking at mid range applications i.e. vector. So I don't know just wait and see.

i am a loyal yam rider and have been now for 15 years,there is no question for me on how superior yamaha sleds are compared to others,putting everything aside,in winter,i want to ride,not wrench,that is why back in 1997 after 4 engine rebuild on my 4 year old 5000 miles doo,i had enough of hurting my wallet,bought a vmax 700 triple,i was hooked right then and never looked back,now on my 6th yammi with 60 000 miles combined with not 1 engine failure,its hard to ignore,dont care about the little things,all i want to do is ride,i meet so many people over the winter on the trail,hear alot of stories from other brands,a 2011 or 2012 snowmobile shouldnt seize a motor,money is hard earned,i am not rich but i'd rather invest more on quality than on rebuilds,not saying that yamaha dont have problems but overall,the issue that most talk about is a non issue for me,that's how i see it,people can say all they want on how heavy my sled is and how lighter the others are,actually, i like how other brands are lighter,much easier to tow

pat the rat said:
i am a loyal yam rider and have been now for 15 years,there is no question for me on how superior yamaha sleds are compared to others,putting everything aside,in winter,i want to ride,not wrench,that is why back in 1997 after 4 engine rebuild on my 4 year old 5000 miles doo,i had enough of hurting my wallet,bought a vmax 700 triple,i was hooked right then and never looked back,now on my 6th yammi with 60 000 miles combined with not 1 engine failure,its hard to ignore,dont care about the little things,all i want to do is ride,i meet so many people over the winter on the trail,hear alot of stories from other brands,a 2011 or 2012 snowmobile shouldnt seize a motor,money is hard earned,i am not rich but i'd rather invest more on quality than on rebuilds,not saying that yamaha dont have problems but overall,the issue that most talk about is a non issue for me,that's how i see it,people can say all they want on how heavy my sled is and how lighter the others are,actually, i like how other brands are lighter,much easier to tow

;)! ;)! That's how i feel about this subject too!!

pat the rat said:

Then you have exactly what you want in foreseeable future. Others want more from YMC or will go elsewhere. Same old, same old just does not hack it in high tech products you have to keep up with trends or get out. To me YMC looking for way out they could do much more but choose not to. Sad but true.

pat the rat said:
Well said. When people tell me that my sled is too heavy I tell them" I ride it, not carry it!! "

STAIN said:
pat the rat said:
Well said. When people tell me that my sled is too heavy I tell them" I ride it, not carry it!! "

i darn near bought a second sled to use , new turbo cat , i almost talked myself into it , then i came to my bloody senses , thank god i did , thought what the hell am i doing , i have a super good sled and will just keep adding a little bit at a time and make it better and better ,

even if a guy buys a new other brand sled , you would have to add money into it , plus they have troubles to , some way more then others now that i did allot of homework

so i'll just hold off and the right turbo set up will come along for me and my nytro mtx ,

ya the sled might be heavy a bit , so what in truth , these yamaha's are better built and will last , i like the ideal of not buying belts all the time or buying that oil everytime i go out , that stuff all adds up over time in money , so no ,i think i will just stay the course i'm going and the sled should last me my lifetime , i'm not piss #*$&@ young anymore , and don't need to raise hell and bust myself up , i'm having fun and she brings me home at the end of the day , only time that heavy of my sled bothers me is when i get stuck , but i got one of them jacks now and in 5 mins , i'm out and away again

so i don't need a wimpy light built 2 stroke ,

whitedust1 said:
pat the rat said:

Then you have exactly what you want in foreseeable future. Others want more from YMC or will go elsewhere. Same old, same old just does not hack it in high tech products you have to keep up with trends or get out. To me YMC looking for way out they could do much more but choose not to. Sad but true.
i too want to see new iron from yamaha,but i'm not gonna go buy a cheap sled cuz i cant wait anymore

Still holding out hope for something smaller. A phazer with a wider softer seat and enough plastic on it for decent wind protection a bigger gas tank and 7,800 bucks so they can grow market share and so I don't have to get my wife a doo.

Cross plane tec does not make more hp! Why people leap to 150 then 160 I can't figure out other then wishful thinking. 20 to 30 hp increase without a huge increase in displacement or boost?

EXUP didn't add any hp to the Apex they say. Just increased mid range power. If you want 160 hp from a 3 banger spinning at crank speed of 8,500 you better increase the displacement to 13 or 14 hundred cc's or add 4 pounds or so boost to the 1050. Much more for 180hp.

Sasquatch said:
Cross plane tec does not make more hp! Why people leap to 150 then 160 I can't figure out other then wishful thinking. 20 to 30 hp increase without a huge increase in displacement or boost?

EXUP didn't add any hp to the Apex they say. Just increased mid range power. If you want 160 hp from a 3 banger spinning at crank speed of 8,500 you better increase the displacement to 13 or 14 hundred cc's or add 4 pounds or so boost to the 1050. Much more for 180hp.

Ding ding!! Hit the nail on the head there. Now my 2012 yam catalog has turbos and super chargers for the fx nytro.

Sasquatch said:

people with the nytro and hindle exhaust, k&n's, and pc5 are already getting 150hp so it is possible to get 150-160 hp out of these motors I dont see it as "wishful thinking"... if the apex motor (998cc) can make 160+ hp and the nytro (1049cc) can make 135-150hp. I dont see it as far fetched. also the yamacharger (very low boost) alone can make 20hp for the nytro motor...

Murse said:
Alright I'm done with this guessing game the current Apex 2011-2013 is using this cross plane technology already in it's 4 cylinder guess they are coming out with a 3 cylinder version but looking at mid range applications i.e. vector. So I don't know just wait and see.
Wha?? Sorry no crossplane motor in the current Apex are you thinking of the EXUP being added? Also as a sportbike nut and rider (2009 GSXR1000) I will tell you the latest R1 with a crossplane motor would not be good in a sled. I have ridden one. With the Uneven firing order they a quite vibey (almost like a v-twin) on accelleration. They do smooth out under steady throttle though. The point of the crossplane was to make a more tractable engine for powering through corners. The response has been lukewarn to the engine as it lacks the punch and scream of the previous (current for apex) 1000 motor. It does provide good torque down low but is not smooth and revs slower.

Also props to sasquatch EXUP does not add power but does enhance low end power. I could tell a real difference removing my SET (Suzukis EXUP) valve on my GSXR.

Last but not least I would love a current gen Apex with a bit less weight and better suspension/handling. All I ask and i would gladly pay 14k for it and keep it forever!! :Rockon:

Whos cares about the HYPE! WE all want better always,sleds get better always. .we still own YAMAHA'S we keep for reasons..i like all the new machines ,but in MY world >> >> >> >> YAMAHA IS #1

natedawgedog said:
people with the nytro and hindle exhaust, k&n's, and pc5 are already getting 150hp so it is possible to get 150-160 hp out of these motors I dont see it as "wishful thinking"... if the apex motor (998cc) can make 160+ hp and the nytro (1049cc) can make 135-150hp. I dont see it as far fetched. also the yamacharger (very low boost) alone can make 20hp for the nytro motor...

If you want to go by that then my buddy is making 300hp from his Apex. So I should then be able to expect Yami to come out with one right!

What can be made with after market hop up parts is great but from past performance I don't see or expect Yamaha to add them. Yamaha could easily make 180hp from the Apex just by adding a much larger gear reduction and using the bike cams. Yet they have not!

The thing I was answering was the 163 ponies from the three banger and then adding a EXUP for more power all from Yami. I just don't see it happening. People though want to dream of a 1050cc 3 cylinder 180hp stock sled from Yamaha when in all honesty the R1 engine is the better candidate. Just keep dreaming!

Back