• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sick of all the hype

Cubby said:
It was hard to find a used Yamaha where I live. The most listed sleds for sale was/is Arctic Cat, followed by Skidoo, Polaris, and then Yamaha. Everytime I send a link to a Yammy for sale to my buddy who's looking its sold by the time he calls. Yamaha sleds hold their value - at least in Canada.

Reliability as the most important thing for me and I am very happy with my Phazer. Sure I'm not the fastest sled crossing the lake but they can't catch me on the twisty trail!

Cubby nailed part of the answer. Yamaha's hold their value pretty well. I've been looking for a 09 or newer XTX on the cheap to mod it into a mountian machine. I have been looking thru Maine, NH, maritimes and Quebec, and what I have come to understand is 1, they are not cheap, and 2, they are not plentiful, so if they really were a dog pile, you think you could buy them for a song.

We all know Yami's need to evolve. 4 stroke? Absolutely, won't trade the reliablity ever again. Chassis. Needs alot of work. Period.

I think we can all agree, the Ntyro/Apex engines will remain heavier than a two stroke by 40 - 50 lbs for the foreseeable future as there is a limit to how light you can make them (at reasonable cost). If you buy into this difference, then the next 50 - 100lbs in the sled weight differences... is open to discussion. My 153 Nytro MTX RTR weight this year will be in the 560lbs range. Full tank (the stock tank), oil, coolant, shock oil,etc. So dry weight will put me around 480. No, it's not the POO RMK @ 417, but add back the 4 stroke 50#'s and the difference is now around 13 - 20lbs, give or take, and I am more than OK with that. Same tunnel, same subframe, after that it gets a bit more murky, but also MOST of the Nytro's known reliablity. I didn't build it to fall apart.

What really drives me crazy and will kill Yamaha sled sales eventually, is they DON"T seem to be able to leverage all the increadibly fantastic mod work being done by all of us who are committed to making our sleds better. Only a fool would ingore this level of R & D, and the corresponding zero cost. There are a more than a few guys around North America (a few in Alaska come to mind), that really understand where our sleds "could" evolve to. Just talk to a few of them...

I look at it this way: Most of the evolution you'll see in Yami's new sled platform, has already been done on a ton of sleds out there. The only problem is not all the "enhancements" are running on JUST ONE SLED.

Come on Yamaha, Wake up!

OTM

It looks like some of the mod work we do, have done, and some of the mod's some of our favorite vendors have perfected could be on the new sled. If boosted it could come from some people we know, if they change the front end they could be buying it from a builder close by some of us know, listening to our compalints about rear weight and ride has made them talk to Cat, and even the newer version of the 3 cyl motor could be closer to the race sled they use now. Getting us up to 150HP on a 3 banger and keeping weight down over the Apex in that HP range for a NA motor. That plus the new stance could be somwhere between a vector and Nytro. Allowing you sit or stand. Of course all from the rumor mill, but I believe they are listening, but took them a while to hear

Looks like an Apples to Oranges deal going on. Yes two stroke Doos are lighter. Four stroke Doos are right in line with the Nytro. As are Four stroke Cats with the Apex. I have 18,000 miles on my Warrior same untouched motor and drive. This is not a surprise to anyone. Now if someone said that about a Doo or Cat two stroke that would be almost unbelievable. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

What is the possibility that Yami built the chassis to reflect that very fact? :dunno:

Sasquatch said:
Looks like an Apples to Oranges deal going on. Yes two stroke Doos are lighter. Four stroke Doos are right in line with the Nytro. As are Four stroke Cats with the Apex. I have 18,000 miles on my Warrior same untouched motor and drive. This is not a surprise to anyone. Now if someone said that about a Doo or Cat two stroke that would be almost unbelievable. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

What is the possibility that Yami built the chassis to reflect that very fact? :dunno:
They have the reliabilty thing down path,all they need is a triple that can scare the competition like the 500 phazer four-stroke(80hp thumper vs 80hp smoker).673cc with 115-120hp sounds nice :jump: .700sx of the four-stroke era.

What kills me about people complaining about Yamaha is no sled is set up for me out of the box. Sure I spent some money on a clutch kit, new skis, etc but I also played around with the limiter strap and shock settings to get the sled right for me. Everyone is different. I don't understand why people think the sled should be perfect out of the box! That's just not realistic.

HA! I had a similar adventure with overheated Skidoo's guy said and I quote " I'm going to light this machine on fire and drive it full speed off of that hill into the creek bed over there and we will film it and put it on youtube." LOL that woud have been a good one!

Cubby said:
What kills me about people complaining about Yamaha is no sled is set up for me out of the box. Sure I spent some money on a clutch kit, new skis, etc but I also played around with the limiter strap and shock settings to get the sled right for me. Everyone is different. I don't understand why people think the sled should be perfect out of the box! That's just not realistic.

X2
Absolutly correct.
Same opinion for any other sled also. I have no idea which sled is best. All I know is I like the yamaha 4 stokes. They all have pros and cons.

Dealers are supposed to set sag in and try to set the sled up for the weight of the rider. And explain what the limiter straps and settings do so they can continue to find tune.

Say what you will about Yamaha but go to any Yamaha forum and you never see brake down discussions or fouled plugs etc etc any other its break down this rebuilt engine that...so on. Same with riding with them I am 1 of 2 Yamaha's in our group and a few times we were waiting for people with plug changes or chasing down gas stations for an artic cat f1100 turbo who bent his mechanical gas gauge and didn't know how much gas he had...I love my reliable awesome sounding fast BLUE Apex thank you very much.

MAking the news again. This showed up this week. OH rumors and More Rumors LOL

Attachments

• rumors.jpg
    rumors.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 318
sheetwright said:
MAking the news again. This showed up this week. OH rumors and More Rumors LOL

"Test the Product"?? Hope that is a mis-print and they meant "Products" as in plural :dunno:

I found it interesting supertraxmag.com article I was reading saying that skidoo is suppose to up its 3cyl four stroke engine and make it soooo much better than Yamaha ( or any other ) to dominate the 4 stroke sled class. This new 3 Cylinder "crossplane" concept from Yamaha looks promising from what I understand the design of the crank has angles at 180 degrees and 90 degrees that are already in V8 engines not specific to any brand of motor. It's suppose to be extremely smooth, if I remember correctly the first vectors were quite raspy and not as smooth as the genesis 4cyl. From what I gather Yamaha is looking to produce 150+ hp NA from this 3 cylinder motor for use in super bikes which we all know and hope that it trickles to snowmobiles as well. Sorry if this is repetitive info to you guys just what I can gather from different sources of info on this. Hopefully this "product" is what they are talking about for this rumored meeting. Hopefully 2014 is the year I didn't buy a new sled this year because of it!

Isn't 150 HP what they can get out of a detuned Nytro now if they wanted? Then add boost to a second option and you have 180-190 HP. Ski doo has the motor to up the ponies but can.cranks, drives and the lightest sled handle it with long miles? I see a rerun of past high HP.ski doo issues imp

Back