• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Problems and Warranty Items.

Hi i am new on this site i have 2019 SRX and i had an issue whit the intercooler being clog whit ice when i ride in deep snow did anyone find a solution for this at first it is snow but turns quick in to ice.

Yamaha Techs say it wont affect performance or boost etc. I find that hard to believe. I removed the grate and using the wifes panty hose on the bumper area and frog skin right on the grate near the rad.

In only one ditch full of powder im already collecting ice and it makes no sense for it to be designed that way. I cant tell how many PSI im making either so it doesn't help the matter.

as to the squeak, the secondary still has the belt down in it as the sled stops if you do not let it coast down enough. happened to me on my apex this weekend with a panic stop as it did not back shift enough.

as to the squeak, the secondary still has the belt down in it as the sled stops if you do not let it coast down enough. happened to me on my apex this weekend with a panic stop as it did not back shift enough.

If that is the case and the belt is down low, would it not in theory possibly squeak when accelerating as the belt comes back up?

I too have had serious chassis trouble with my ltx-dx sidewinder. The rearmost shock at the lowest mount and the brackets holding it somehow broke and swivelled down onto the track and destroyed the track as the suspension parts wore on the track. Yamaha covered the repair with some armtwisting because the track was studded. Ruined my holidays and was in the shop for almost 5weeks. Still not sure how this occurred.

Same thing happened to me last weekend, new to me 18 LTX DX, dealer demo with 1,000 miles, my maiden voyage coming off an Apex, high hopes for the Winder. "You won't regret getting on a Winder" they all said, LOL!
Drove 800km north to ride, only logged 70km on sled before rear shock absolutely grenaded, shock body broke completely off at rail mount, nothing left but a mangled piston rod and piston dangling off upper swing arm. Shock body clevis still bolted tight in the lower mount, so seems shock itself blew for some reason. Dealer figures the valving had moisture in it and froze up?
So i'm in the middle of BF nowhere, cold as hell, had to limp it to the nearest town. $65 cab ride later, grab truck and trailer to pick up sled.
Needless to say, NOBODY for miles around stocks a new shock or has one to steal off a sled to get me going, so after several whiskies with the boys, next morning loaded up and drove home 7 hours, dropped off sled at dealer, resumed drinking whiskey.
Autopsy results: track is junk, lower shock mount mangled, side relay rods mangled, now waiting to hear if warranty claim is approved by Yam, but I will be on the hook for removing and re-installing studs in new track, as Yam does not warranty studs.
Not off to a good start, lost a lot of confidence in the Cat skid, definitely not as robust as Japan iron, my spider senses tell me this is not the last failure, will need to be vigilant in keeping an eye on everything after each ride. End of rant, Cheers!

Same thing happened to me last weekend, new to me 18 LTX DX, dealer demo with 1,000 miles, my maiden voyage coming off an Apex, high hopes for the Winder. "You won't regret getting on a Winder" they all said, LOL!
Drove 800km north to ride, only logged 70km on sled before rear shock absolutely grenaded, shock body broke completely off at rail mount, nothing left but a mangled piston rod and piston dangling off upper swing arm. Shock body clevis still bolted tight in the lower mount, so seems shock itself blew for some reason. Dealer figures the valving had moisture in it and froze up?
So i'm in the middle of BF nowhere, cold as hell, had to limp it to the nearest town. $65 cab ride later, grab truck and trailer to pick up sled.
Needless to say, NOBODY for miles around stocks a new shock or has one to steal off a sled to get me going, so after several whiskies with the boys, next morning loaded up and drove home 7 hours, dropped off sled at dealer, resumed drinking whiskey.
Autopsy results: track is junk, lower shock mount mangled, side relay rods mangled, now waiting to hear if warranty claim is approved by Yam, but I will be on the hook for removing and re-installing studs in new track, as Yam does not warranty studs.
Not off to a good start, lost a lot of confidence in the Cat skid, definitely not eas robust as Japan iron, my spider senses tell me this is not the last failure, will need to be vigilant in keeping an eye on everything after each ride. End of rant, Cheers!
Exactly what I experienced! Since the repair it's been good. Hopefully the parts are available, for me it was the end of the season due to "back orders". Yamaha grumbled about the studs, but warranted track. Mine broke on super bowl Sunday, very short season that year.

Not off to a good start, lost a lot of confidence in the Cat skid, definitely not as robust as Japan iron, my spider senses tell me this is not the last failure, will need to be vigilant in keeping an eye on everything after each ride. End of rant, Cheers!
PS now is a good time to upgrade to the heavy duty cross shafts while it's apart.

PS now is a good time to upgrade to the heavy duty cross shafts while it's apart.

Thanks Chris, I already had installed BOP front cross shaft beefed up steel sleeve, will do a post mortem after this season is over on the rest of the shafts etc.
Dealer already knows all parts are in stock at Yamaha Canada, so good to go once he gets the green light. Hope to be trail ready again by next week.

Thanks Chris, I already had installed BOP front cross shaft beefed up steel sleeve, will do a post mortem after this season is over on the rest of the shafts etc.
Dealer already knows all parts are in stock at Yamaha Canada, so good to go once he gets the green light. Hope to be trail ready again by next week.
That's great, comon up here, lots of snow and more tonight

Back