• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skeptical First Ride

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Apex XTX
Got to test ride the swinders...could barely get the key on, its jammed upped against the windsheild, with gloves on its a bit sketchy? Secondly, getting it reversve is also a little tough with gloves on, as the button is a little small and set inset into the handle bar block. Is there really only an on and off switch for the bar/thumb warmers? Apex has like 6 settings, what about the plastic brake resovoir? Gotta admit it is super smooth and gets wild when u want it...but where is the power steering? Is everyone just jacking off over the horsepower, or I am I only guy that thinks the Apex, is a better sled, less a bit of snot.? Omg can I mention how fin good power steering is again?

Get in some gnarly bumps and you will forget all about the Apex. Suspension works that much better on the winder. Never has a PS apex so can't comment there. But with the right setup can easily be ridden with one hand. Once you spend some time on a modern chassis you will not go back to a deltabox

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

You're right about the key. The reverse button takes getting used to but that happens. Otherwise very little comparison. SideWinder wins hands down. And my luggage won't catch on fire.

Coming off an Apex I couldn't be happier. I honestly think the SW is far superior in every category. Comfort level is lightyears ahead....just go ride 10 miles of stutter bumps! This Sled properly set up doesn't need power steering and is WAY more nimble on the trail. More power the whole way through the power band and without suffering on fuel economy. And OH, by the way... how long does it take you to get to the engine on the Apex? The SW undresses in about 30 seconds! NO REGRETS BOYS!

Coming off an Apex I couldn't be happier. I honestly think the SW is far superior in every category. Comfort level is lightyears ahead....just go ride 10 miles of stutter bumps! This Sled properly set up doesn't need power steering and is WAY more nimble on the trail. More power the whole way through the power band and without suffering on fuel economy. And OH, by the way... how long does it take you to get to the engine on the Apex? The SW undresses in about 30 seconds! NO REGRETS BOYS!
Agree 100%

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I put 450 miles on my winder on last week. The chassis is is just so easy to ride. My riding partners say I lead at a faster pace than ever. The chassis is so very stable and predictable. Mine is ltx and it does steer hard just as my xtx viper did.

EPS would be icing on cake an in my opinion be the a 50th aniverssery release that would pull in the apex holdouts such as my father.

The sidewinder motor is right on par with my expectations unlike the viper. Everything I didn't like about viper was addressed on the sidewinder!

Got to test ride the swinders...could barely get the key on, its jammed upped against the windsheild, with gloves on its a bit sketchy? Secondly, getting it reversve is also a little tough with gloves on, as the button is a little small and set inset into the handle bar block. Is there really only an on and off switch for the bar/thumb warmers? Apex has like 6 settings, what about the plastic brake resovoir? Gotta admit it is super smooth and gets wild when u want it...but where is the power steering? Is everyone just jacking off over the horsepower, or I am I only guy that thinks the Apex, is a better sled, less a bit of snot.? Omg can I mention how fin good power steering is again?
All good points that us newer Apex guys are likely still having trouble adjusting to. The older Apex's 2010 and older the Sidewinder is no dought a huge improvement over that model. Accessibility to engine bay the Sidewinder is sweet, but then again how often did we access the engine bay of a Apex like almost never, on my apex's once a season. Fuel mileage on trails the sidewinder is close to the Apex, in deep snow running Sidewinder sucks as mine can only go 120 kms and its empty with no full throttle pulls and don't tell me oh that's what you should expect with turbo, I have other turbos . Also in deep snow my 137 xtx is a sow to drive as it just doesn't respond to body inputs like my Apex xtx which to me is easy to drive in deep snow. Comfort and warmth my Sidewinder is vastly better. Tight twisty trails I prefer my Apex, stutter bums my Sidewinder is way better and I don't miss the being bounced forward on seat all the time like apex in stutters. Rough lakes I actually prefer the apex the rear just just doesn't seam to punch your lights out like my sidewinder has caught me a couple times now on drifts that seam like nothin on an apex xtx. I'm really starting to love how quiet the Sidewinder is as that I didn't like at first vs the Apex. I like that I can put gear behind my seat on the tunnel of the Sidewinder.
I can go on and on between the 2!
Do I like my Sidewinder? Yes I love the sled!
Do I still like my Apex xtx? Absolutely, I love that sled also!
I think it comes down to what do you want your sled to do for you? Both these sleds excell!!!

Last edited:
Wow,i could not get rid of my ape xtx fast enough,i had just over 3000 miles on it,worse riding sled ever under my #*$&@ on an apex,i did like the bent rails for backing up,did it handle like my 121 apes of past,no way,all my short track apes would run circles around the xtx,but the 144 did bridge them stutters somewhat,but the CK skid on it was ever bit as bad as the CK skid I had on my 07 ape RTX,just bad in stutters,PS really,you guys who maybe drive 25-40 might like it,but that's about where its life ends,after 40 no more PS,the motor on the 15 xtx was nice,great gas milage but no big top end speed,i saw 111 gps once on trail. Now before my winder,i already had that procross chassie,so I did already know how it handles in a 129,and rode,now I have the LTX-LE 137 and cant really say how this sled rides or handles yet,but my son bought the same sled in SE and I can say,that one works awesome,and is fast,steers quite easy as far as I am concerned,i just don't understand all the crying about hard steering. Any rate,my winder is light years ahead of any ape I have had,and I have had lots of them. JMO.

I had a 2012 apex xtx and really liked that sled after I put a WRP seat and a taller bar riser on it. But that being said it was still a dated chassis and a rear suspension that would make most riders give up snowmobiling if that was their only choice. I never felt power steering was a game changer, if I didn't know already that it had it, I would have never known it did. To me it just felt like the steering of any properly set up snowmobile, but I have never rode an older apex without it so there may be a huge gap between the two. Now on two my 2017 zr9k lxr 137 the Winder's kissing cousin. Other than mpg, apex always got 13mpg the zr9k seems to be 11- 12mpg. The zr9k is far superior in every way versus my old apex. Motor, handling, suspension, seating position. Yes it would be nice if it had more choices for hand grip heat range and if the reverse button and key were in a better location but if those are what is holding you back you need to let go of the past and step into the rider forward future my friend. Also you can actually access the oil filter on the three cylinder turbo motor unlike the old 4 holer. My only real bitch about my sled so far is lack of mpg, to me it should be more like 15mpg and wish there was a location under the hood for a spare belt so I don't have to carry it in my tunnel bag.

I hope my post didn't upset anyone, a comment I should have added is:
Is the Sidewinder improved enough for Apex guys to make the switch? In my opinion absolutely, as unless my Sidewinder actually brakes down I have no intention of ever driving my Apex again! So next fall Apex is gone and it's mint only 1800 miles on it!

True, I did not get the chance to change any settings nor perform any disassemby of the engine bay too figure things out. So really just my initial feeling of riding it around for 1/2 an hour. (the rear suspension had hardly any initial sag for my weight ..so that would have been the first adjustment.) Unlike my Apex where I've added a bar riser, stiffer swayber, Hygear dual pressure valve and a trouble free 70,000kms of playing with settings and carbides on various Apexes. For our style of riding around Ottawa with lots of cornfields and railbeds mixed in with some twisty trees and almost always groomed flat, the Apex is a good fit. Still a little skeptical? But maybe I could get used to 200 ponies in the cornfield!!

True, I did not get the chance to change any settings nor perform any disassemby of the engine bay too figure things out. So really just my initial feeling of riding it around for 1/2 an hour. (the rear suspension had hardly any initial sag for my weight ..so that would have been the first adjustment.) Unlike my Apex where I've added a bar riser, stiffer swayber, Hygear dual pressure valve and a trouble free 70,000kms of playing with settings and carbides on various Apexes. For our style of riding around Ottawa with lots of cornfields and railbeds mixed in with some twisty trees and almost always groomed flat, the Apex is a good fit. Still a little skeptical? But maybe I could get used to 200 ponies in the cornfield!!

I'm in your camp. Not enough to make this groomed trail rider switch.
I rode 2 Sidewinder LTX's Saturday. The one with SnoTrackers was pretty good, the one without steered hard. They did not out handle the Apex's on a flat ish trail. Bump absorption was good but stiffer than a 1200 Doo X I was on a little later.
Throttle response was better than my MCX 290 Turbo Apex but not as good as my stocker nor was the transfer.
Now, bear in mind I am 66 years old & I know I could make them better by adjusting it to my riding style.
I think it is a game changer for sure but not the sled for me right now.

I think the reverse button is perfect, last thing i wanna do it hit it with my leg etc., apex is a great sled for drivers 5'-6", also doesn't hold a candlestick to the sw in suspension or rough terrian, not to mention heavy feel, i love my supercharged nytro to but it still no comparison to the sw, i think your comparing apples to oranges not to mention very little seat time on a sw, hands down theirs no other sled id choose over a sw, especially after a td tune.

Back