• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ski options

Doesnt the amount of carbide prevent wear and turning only on ice? I always felt the ski and the runner itself is what you feel everywhere else. Only reason I run 6" is because it keeps the runner from wearing out.

Carbide length plays a role in any condition where there is a 'bottom'. The looser or deeper the snow, the less your carbide effects handling. For almost all trail conditions, the amount of carbide used has a direct impact on steering effort, aggression and bite.

Some of our crazy off trail riders don't even use a carbide on the host bar while some of our XC racers use 8" of carbide or more.

As a general rule of thumb however, we do not recommend more than 6" and typically 4" on most of the newer short track sleds. Our skis in particular are extremely responsive to carbide changes and often a bar above 6" is simply too much for most conditions.

- Sean

I bought a pair of the usi triple threats stage 2 this time. I had Curves on the nitro. I hope I made a good descision

I had the Curves with 4inch round bars on my Nytro SE and they were great. I ordered a new pair from Dalton Industries. Hopefully they work as good on the Viper.

I also had Curves with 7.5" shaper bars on my Apex LTX and they were great.. Curve recommended 6" round bars for my 14 Viper LTX. Just put skis on replacing the stock skis with 6" deuce bars that I ran last winter. No darting with the deuce bars on stock skis but a fair amount of push in soft snow. Hopefully Curve skis will cure that problem on my Viper.

Best I have ridden so far and I don't recall riding on a setup trail all last year. The cold really dried the snow out keeping it loose even after grooming. I tried 6.9 pilots and they pushed about as much as stockers. Curves worked well in same conditions hopping of mine and getting right on one with curves. Even steered easier.

The Simmons Gen3 made my 09 Nytro XTX a whole new sled (I HIGHLY recommend them). Trails on rails with a ton of flotation. A workout on the hard-set trails but very tight.

I have purchased a new set for my Viper XTX and will let you know how they are after some miles. I am not sure if the viper will need a ski that is so aggressive but the flotation will benefit for sure when off trail.

Keep in mind the rear suspension. Once I got that right everything changed. Where my Pilot 6.9's pushed once I got the rear shocks rebound right no more push ever. Will admit though the Curves even worked with crappy stock valving as far as Push. Easier to turn also vs Pilots. One of these years I will buy a set! Interested in those TS skis FJR let us know.

I've a set of Curves on order with 4" round bar. Will test that out first, i.e. the carbide. But I'm also changing out the stock center spring to a slightly longer and stiffer spring (160 lbs) and planning to run the Hygear linkage as well.
But will have to wait for snow before I know how it works.

Birkebeiner

Keep in mind the rear suspension. Once I got that right everything changed. Where my Pilot 6.9's pushed once I got the rear shocks rebound right no more push ever. Will admit though the Curves even worked with crappy stock valving as far as Push. Easier to turn also vs Pilots. One of these years I will buy a set! Interested in those TS skis FJR let us know.
A question if I may. I just got a 2016 viper L-TX LE and put a set of Curve's on it.My question though, is about the 42 or 43" width. I live in Ontario and have never heard about restrictions on width and even if they have them I have never heard of anyone checking to verify. My new sled had the spacers on the outside on the tuners I removed and I left it that way thinking that the 43" width would be more stable and probably better cornering, but it is only a guess and I have not heard anyone writhing about it. Any thoughts on this?

Back