• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ski Skins on a Phazer?

Monsey

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper LTX DX
I am thinking about picking up a set of Yamaha's 7.5" wide ski skins for my FX. Just curious if anyone else has done this.

I find that I cant steer in the powder, I either have to slow right down and let the front dig right into the snow (and probably get stuck) or put some weight into it and carve (which doesnt work so well trying to break a trail in the bush).

I put a freeride track on this year which should help with the 'getting stuck' part, I already have the floatation skid plate which helped alot with the plowing snow issue.

I figure the skins will provide even more floatation, possibley stability and hopefully let me steer.

Does anyone have any experience with the skins?

Also, is there any issue with running dual runners with the skins?

I ran the 9" Yamaha ski skins for two seasons on my Venture light MP. They really improved the float up front in deep snow, the sled stopped diving every time I let off on the throttle and with that less getting stuck. I put Simmons Gen 2 skis (10" wide) on last year and this was another huge improvement even over the 9" skins. I also pulled up the limiter strap to put more weight on the skis which helped. I ran stock carbides with the skins but I am sure you can use may different styles. the Simmons skis have double skegs which really improves handling.

Attachments

• Simmons & Yamaha skis.JPG
    Simmons & Yamaha skis.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 750
  • Simmons Gen 2 skegs.jpg
    Simmons Gen 2 skegs.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 373
  • Fat Puppies on Venture.jpg
    Fat Puppies on Venture.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 499

Back