• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

skidoo suspension or not

APEXMAN

Extreme
Hi all just sitting around this summer and wondering if i should rebuild my rear skid or just put a ski-donkey one in instead ( btw i have a 06 apex er ) .. Any input on this subject would be good thxs ..

Were you "relatively" happy with the original skid or are you looking for something the SkiDoo suspension will provide?

What about one of the aftermarket suspensions?

Oh wait, you wanted input not questions, sorry about that.

Carry on :Rockon:

I threw a rear skid in my '06 apex rtx, that was from a crossfire, of course i stretched it to the 136" also. It had a great ride. Not sure if it was the suspension or the stretching tho.
But I love it regardless!!!

Made my 06 apex into a 144" and it help fix a lot of the things I didn't like about it. Make the skid longer and it rides a lot nicer. The link blow is the post I did about the build last year.

To be honest i dont think a doo suspension is going to be what you want it to.
I had previously owned two rev's one with the sc3 and one with the sc4. Both skids needed lots of work to make a good skid. I think I had 800 in the shocks, upgraded the torsions, and had the bc3 spacers, and in the end still wasnt too thrilled. One of the reasons I sold them.
Another issue is weight. The skidoos are much more rider foward in terms of where your sitting in relationship to how the skid is designed to work. So when put in your apex you'll be siting in a totally different area above the skid then what it was designed causes some issues with ride there. Also if you do use a doo skid plan to upgrade the torsions, shocks/valving and center shock spring. The apex is way too heavy a sled for the stock skidoo set-up.
In the end anything can be made better then the older monos we have.

If you go the doo skid route pm me i have a wealth of knowledge with thier skids from all my years on the revs. I tried every set-up out there and a friend of mine owns a shocks/racing shop and is big into doo suspensions.

I have to agree with Maxout01's points regarding calibration of the skid you'll be using. Maybe biased, but I believe the Cat and Poo skids work better for an Apex conversion. The Cat because you can get them from a heavier machine, the ProX/IQ/Edge because used parts are so easy to come by - and the fact they're so tunable.

If it's bolt on and go you're looking for, you may not be happy. If you're willing to spend some time getting the sled dialed in after the conversion, there's no sled available on the market that'll work any better for trail - not until you start asking the sled to spend any amount of time in the air. Then, it's still a big heavy sled very likely to be spanked badly by a sled a hundred pounds lighter. FWIW

Back