• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sled Security

Yamadog

Lifetime Member
I have a 98 v-mas sx 700 and a 99 vmax 600 deluxe. One day on the trail I was riding with girlfriends daughter and she lost the key to the 99. I had 2 keys to the 98 in my pocket and gave it a try and vroom. The same key worked in both sleds.

Last week I bought another 05 rx-1 and am tearing it down I needed to look at something on my other one and notice someone lifted the key. I grabbed the one out of the new sled and guess what - vroom.

I know we are all yammi lovers and would never take another sled but this is way to much coinkydink how many key codes did these guys use?

My guess is 3 max and 2 are the same. I am switching my ignition out to with an 06 Apex switch I have laying around I know that doesn't match and maybe those who would steel this won't catch on.

The site member srxtwins has a security unit installed on his sled where the sled will not start without the proper control unit. It is a little box that beeps a couple of times and then the sled will start. I have no idea how much they cost, but I do know that you cannot start his Apex without this control unit.

All manufacturers do production runs using the same key code. On the older machines I think the runs were longer and the diferent number of key codes were smaller. This would make it much more common to get matching keys in machines. I have even seen this senario happen on cars but it is much more rare.

As Matt mentioned I do sell an anti theft system for the sleds but I do not discuss them on the site out of respect for Tom because I am not a registered advertiser. If you want more info on the system you can pm. me.

A low cost measure to foil anybody with a matching key would be to install an extra hidden switch that would need to be used in addition to the ignition.

Perhaps a momentary push button in the starter solenoid circuit that must be pressed while cranking the engine with the key.

Blue Dave said:
A low cost measure to foil anybody with a matching key would be to install an extra hidden switch that would need to be used in addition to the ignition.

This would have been a good idea, but everybody knows about it now.

arteeex said:
Blue Dave said:

This would have been a good idea, but everybody knows about it now.

Knows about it, yes... but knows where it is, no. Hidden is the key word here. If your still worried about it with one switch, why not add 3 hidden switches, all in different places? I doubt anyone jackin a sled will spend the time to play hide and seek with all these switches you have hidden!!

could always put a cat cover on it unless you rather have a rev one on it.

maim said:
could always put a cat cover on it unless you rather have a rev one on it.

You guys soooo funny :jump:

I was actually thinking of renting a junk yard dog and chaining it to it at night.

Several years ago we were riding up in Virginia, MN and it was 3 am we were in one room having a cocktail when we heard some sleds roaring in the parking lot. We toasted those late night riders and then looked out the windows to watch 3 of our sleds flying out of the parking lot. It took us till 7 am to run them down with 2 remaining sleds and then got the cops to their shop and by that time all 3 were stripped and they used saw-zalls to get the driveshafts, tracks and gear boxes out.

after 6 months of court dates they were charged as minors and had to pay $50 a month restitution.

Side note they stole 2 polaris and 1 Arctic cat leaving my 2 Yammis. I'm not sure if they couldn't figure out how to jump start it or they didn't like Yamahas.

i'm too dumb for that the last time I did that I had the whole thing torn apart in a blizzard cussing the whole time. :o| :o|

Back