• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sled steers like a tank fights me all the way - powderhounds

FIXED -

Thanks so much guys I took a little info from all of you and just got back from a trip and the sled was back to steering the way I like it.

Here is what I did:

-Bent shaper bars straight again
-used a 1/2" shim under the BACK of the rubber and that gave me about a 3/16" of the front of the carbide sticking up off the cement
-Removed the ski savers
-Full alignment - 1st I got each individual ski parallel to the track then got about 1/8-1/4" TOE IN

Sled steered very nice and easy, I stiffened up the Ohlins and plated with the CR adjustment and got them working great. I wouldn't say it was on rails but it was trailable, fun, and tracked good.

The last day of the trip the sled started darting more as the snow firmed up. Its to the point that I need a solution again. Thinking of dartless plates if they fit.

Thanks again the sled didn't fight meet and I dont have sore arms doing about 100-150 miles a day.

kinger said:
FIXED -

Here is what I did:

-used a 1/2" shim under the BACK of the rubber and that gave me about a 3/16" of the front of the carbide sticking up off the cement
-Removed the ski savers
-Full alignment - 1st I got each individual ski parallel to the track then got about 1/8-1/4" TOE IN

Thanks again the sled didn't fight meet and I dont have sore arms doing about 100-150 miles a day.
It must have been difficult getting the skis back on with a 1/2" shim? I used ~5/16 but it was very tough to reinstall the skis! But anyway it helped with the darting. I don't know if it is possible to eliminate darting totally - it seems some riders have so much ski pressure or whatever that they make a deep trenches in the soft trails that are unavoidable.

BombaPolaYama said:
kinger said:
FIXED -

Here is what I did:

-Removed the ski savers

It must have been difficult getting the skis back on with a 1/2" shim? I used ~5/16 but it was very tough to reinstall the skis! But anyway it helped with the darting. I don't know if it is possible to eliminate darting totally - it seems some riders have so much ski pressure or whatever that they make a deep trenches in the soft trails that are unavoidable.

If you aren't swearing at the sled reinstalling the skis, your shims aren't thick enough....

I generally will have a 2x4 on it's side under the ski a few inches ahead of the ski bolt.... and the biggest guy handy standing on the spindle.

I agree with you though, some guys are leaving trenches in the trail with their skis. Nothing you do is going to fix that 100%. Getting up out of them shouldn't require much at all though.

ahicks said:
BombaPolaYama said:
kinger said:
FIXED -

Here is what I did:

-Removed the ski savers

If you aren't swearing at the sled reinstalling the skis, your shims aren't thick enough....

I generally will have a 2x4 on it's side under the ski a few inches ahead of the ski bolt.... and the biggest guy handy standing on the spindle.

I agree with you though, some guys are leaving trenches in the trail with their skis. Nothing you do is going to fix that 100%. Getting up out of them shouldn't require much at all though.

Ah, that is funny - I can picture that! One good thing about having the wider skis on the trail is that it is easier to stay out of the grooves. I may have to try a bit more shim then when I get my nerve up and can find a big guy to stand on the spindle! (LOL)

Ahh yes I was swearing like a drunken sailor getting them in there by myself!

After I installed the snow studs double down bars the sled is fricken AWESOME, easy steering, not a hint of darting, and handles great!

I am about to take the darting on this evening. So toe in seems to the the way to go with the powder hounds. What is a good material to use for the shims? wood shims for doors?

kinger said:

After I installed the snow studs double down bars the sled is fricken AWESOME, easy steering, not a hint of darting, and handles great!

X2 I now have over 500 miles on the slydogs with double downs and love it, hard and medium trails they rail, on soft trails they push a bit but so does every other sled I've ridden.

kinger said:

So did you shim the Double Downs as well?

Yes I left the 1/2" shim in there. I think that is what made the steering easier.

Got more miles on the bars and they do still understeer (push) on soft snow, hardpack or ice they bite hard. I am very happy with them.

I'm having front wear on my carbides. Could someone show me a picture of the shim in the ski, So I understand what needs to be done to fix the wear.

kinger said:
Yes I left the 1/2" shim in there. I think that is what made the steering easier.

Got more miles on the bars and they do still understeer (push) on soft snow, hardpack or ice they bite hard. I am very happy with them.

Thanks, sorry so many questions:
Wondering how the push with your Double Downs compares with the Slydogs; i.e. do they push more or less?

Grimm said:
http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Ski_Alignment/Ski_Bumber_Shim.htm
Good instructions - only one thing, I wouldn't glue them on until you know it is working as you want.
What I find as well is that handling is very dependant on the trail conditions and of course the ski. It is strange but my set up handles better on a trail that is used than on a freshly groomed trail where the skis seem to want to wander similar to but not as bad as the cutting on crusty snow. I think it has to do with the reverse keel on the Slydog digging in. But holy cow, judging by the grooves that some guys skis cut in the trails, I don't know how they steer!

Wonderful Thx Grimm for the help. It looks to be a pretty straight forward. I put CA skis and dullies on my Venture GT at the beginning of the season. Dealer did the install.The leading edge of the runners are just about wore down enough so the bottom of the plastic part of the ski is just about touching pavement. My question is this!!! Do I put a new set of dullies on and put the shim in or can I use the old ones and get the rest of the life out of them?

Back