• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

slide wear hyfax solution?

I just replaced mine slides on my mtx, I got 1240 miles on them and on my 02 MM 159 I went 1500 miles without any srcatchers. I think its all in how you "set them up".

Good point scratchers help and a quick solution.
I will run scratchers when the conditions ask for it.
But I'd rather keep them up.
And honestly... when you are doing long miles the conditions can change so fast. Getting off my sled to throw down scratchers for a hard pack section, then doing a long road section wishing I had them back up.
On and off the sled, messing with them, my ride group will have gotten away on me.
BTW the nytro is the first sled that I ever felt required to install scratchers on. I'm glad I have them for an option, and good for use early in the season on lakes that have very little snow.

Scratchers work and are a must for any deep lug track! I might even know where to get a good deal on a set! LOL

I burnt through a set of slides in 600 kms last year on my mtx, I really thought it was due to bad snow conditions I was riding on...

So when I changed them out I bought the more expensive ones from yamaha and I loosened my track, lots!.. they had the track so tight from the dealership it was crazy... I actually thought I would have ratcheting issues with it as loose as I made it but it doesn't ratchet at all and I put another 500kms on the new slides and they don't even show any wear at all.... So just my opinion but if you have a mtx make sure to run your track loose...

oh and as for wheels... aren't the billet ones from OFT larger than out factory ones? and they should mount straight up right?

adrenaline junkey said:
Just leave them down no worries about taking time to put them up and a lot cheaper and faster to change then hi fax
Where di you buy the scratchers and where do you have them installed?

Littlehoe said:
I burnt through a set of slides in 600 kms last year on my mtx, I really thought it was due to bad snow conditions I was riding on...

So when I changed them out I bought the more expensive ones from yamaha and I loosened my track, lots!.. they had the track so tight from the dealership it was crazy... I actually thought I would have ratcheting issues with it as loose as I made it but it doesn't ratchet at all and I put another 500kms on the new slides and they don't even show any wear at all.... So just my opinion but if you have a mtx make sure to run your track loose...

oh and as for wheels... aren't the billet ones from OFT larger than out factory ones? and they should mount straight up right?

I have a shorty, think it would work if I loosen mine up?

If you're gonna throw some scratchers on I would put them on the skis. Hartman makes a simple kit http://www.hartmaninc.com/scratchers.html

Also, people use a bolt and stick it through the ski at the rear to kick up snow.

And I've just mounted the regular old ice scratchers on my C&A pro skis before, it throws a ton of snow into the skid.

I'm going to make my own scratchers for my skis, use a old spring and make a mount. Something to throw snow that I can leave down all the time, and still use reverse.

KHEXX said:
adrenaline junkey said:
Just leave them down no worries about taking time to put them up and a lot cheaper and faster to change then hi fax

I make my own see post here http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
but if your not into building stuff several good ones are out there I like the cable scratchers the most cause reverse doesn't screw them up

adrenaline junkey thats a nice write up. $60 to 70 bucks for something that wears pretty quickly is a rip-off. Thanks for posting that build "quick easy and cheap."

adrenaline junkey said:
KHEXX said:
adrenaline junkey said:

I make my own see post here http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
but if your not into building stuff several good ones are out there I like the cable scratchers the most cause reverse doesn't screw them up

And to think, I was going to but the same idea from Hartman for about $60 ++....that AJ...great idea and cheap!

I also make my own, except I mass produce them. They can also be mounted on the ski if you did not want to mount them on the rails. See pic. (Just ignore the Poo sigh) LOL

SkiMounted.jpg

These are the type of scratchers ive been using for the last year, it hangs from the swaybar mounts.

The nice thing with these are that they dont break when you go in reverse. ;)!

Attachments

• Ice.jpg
    Ice.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 80
adrenaline junkey said:
Just curious are any of you running scratchers ? if your melting hi faxes its cause there is no snow getting up there to help cool them and lubricate. we have two nytros that run in out group and haven't had any problems after scratchers were installed
;)! ;)! ;)!

Back