• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slight leak of chaincase oil

shawnj

Expert
I noticed after my first ride a slight red colour along chain case seal.
I checked the oil and it was red in colour. Does anyone else have red oil in their chain case? I know years back they used to use chainsaw bar oil. I wonder if the dealer used this or is it from factory?
The leak seemed to be coming from around the reverse motor. Probably nothing major, I hope.

Attachments

• 10E00487-1A13-42FA-B624-832B003C22CF.jpeg
    10E00487-1A13-42FA-B624-832B003C22CF.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 112
  • 8A0E1A61-E7F0-40EF-A55C-461C19AAA1A3.jpeg
    8A0E1A61-E7F0-40EF-A55C-461C19AAA1A3.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 104
  • AE331D5C-B5DE-43EF-90BC-ECD4162B9551.jpeg
    AE331D5C-B5DE-43EF-90BC-ECD4162B9551.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 0CB84CA9-BDFC-4D5D-9D97-F09E0DB6D86C.jpeg
    0CB84CA9-BDFC-4D5D-9D97-F09E0DB6D86C.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 98

Most likely a common problem with Chaincase assembly right from factory… Some on hear are taking them apart ( 2 pc chiancase ) and resealing them with a gasket sealer call The Right Stuff… At time of this repair they are fixing other issues listed in the above list of Problems and fixes on these sidewinders…

Most likely a common problem with Chaincase assembly right from factory… Some on hear are taking them apart ( 2 pc chiancase ) and resealing them with a gasket sealer call The Right Stuff… At time of this repair they are fixing other issues listed in the above list of Problems and fixes on these sidewinders…
I’ve heard of people using that “Right Stuff” for the oil tank. What is the OEM seal for the chain-case i wonder?

Chaincase is a gasket, oil tank is what needs rtv sealant

Okay good to know if I ever take it apart I will have one on hand. Hopefully not till spring tho.
There was some type of grease around the seem of the chain case I notice too. Maybe they use it to hold gasket in place while reassembly.
You don’t need to replace the chain case seal when you service the chain case unless it leaks.. are you sure it’s leaking? Dealer might of spilled some fluid when filling the chain case and never cleaned it..

I would say your chaincase has had it's first oil change and they used oil that is red in color.
When they filled it they spilled a small amount and didn't wipe it up.
I wouldn't panic and I doubt that it is leaking.
Wipe it clean and check it during your next ride.

I would say your chaincase has had it's first oil change and they used oil that is red in color.
When they filled it they spilled a small amount and didn't wipe it up.
I wouldn't panic and I doubt that it is leaking.
Wipe it clean and check it during your next ride.
Not sure if they changed it or not. They said they did an oil change for me but oil still looked dark to be new oil. So bet they didn’t do chain case oil unless they were in it for some reason.
I popped the reverse motor off and wiped down the oil. It wasn’t there before I rode it. From a video I seen, there are two o-rings on that reverse motors gear. One might be leaking by a tad.

Well I don't think that they come with red oil in the chaincase from the factory, but if someone knows otherwise please chime in.
The oil at the fill level plug looks red to me, so it appears to me it was most likely changed.

Well I don't think that they come with red oil in the chaincase from the factory, but if someone knows otherwise please chime in.
The oil at the fill level plug looks red to me, so it appears to me it was most likely changed.
I’d have to agree, I wouldn’t think it would be red from factory. Maybe the dealer did change it, I tried to ask but didn’t get much of a response. They are in Quebec and I’m in Nova Scotia.

I’d have to agree, I wouldn’t think it would be red from factory. Maybe the dealer did change it, I tried to ask but didn’t get much of a response. They are in Quebec and I’m in Nova Scotia.
It’s probably ATF.

I noticed after my first ride a slight red colour along chain case seal.
I checked the oil and it was red in colour. Does anyone else have red oil in their chain case? I know years back they used to use chainsaw bar oil. I wonder if the dealer used this or is it from factory?
The leak seemed to be coming from around the reverse motor. Probably nothing major, I hope.

There are a number of companies making synthetic oils that are red in color. Red Line makes gear oil that comes in red and blue colors. You cannot mistake ATF for engine or gear oil, it smells completely different and you could probably smell even that small amount and identify it right away as ATF. Based on how bright red that looks I would guess that the oil is newer and its one of the dyed oils. I would change it anyways just for peace of mind especially in the chaincase. If it is ATF, thats the wrong type of lubricant altogether.

Back