• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sloppy Steering & Ovaled Steering Bracket Fix

BCgee

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Nytro MTX
Many of you who boondock may have encountered the dreaded sloppy steering that results from Yamaha's poorly fabricated steering bracket at the bottom of the steering rod right before the tie rod steering assembly connection. Despite a brand new a-arm kit and bushings all around my steering was r-e-a-l-l-y sloppy at the end of last season due in large part to me punishing the Nytro in the backcountry and I promised myself a fix before this season began.

The project approaches were: (1) take apart sled to the subframe, weld shut the hole, then drill the hole to proper size for the steering rod, or (2) take apart some of the interior components sufficient to weld a washer in place.

Upon looking into subframe removal I was reluctant to even take off the entire airbox/radiator to allow the welder access to the problem bracket much less the entire subframe, and likewise realized after a bit of tweaking that the welder can reach about 2/3 of the hole in question with some careful maneuvering. I got excited.

Off to the hardware store where I picked up a few grade 8 washers just a hair smaller in diameter than the bolt; the idea was to use a grade 8 washer as an unconventional collar preventing further 'ovaling' of the OEM steering rod bracket.

Next step was taking a metal bit of the exact diameter as the bolt (use your calipers) and just barely widening the washer so it fit TIGHT with the steering rod bolt. Last, slowly and with great care, including keeping the bolt inserted for proper alignment, I tack welded the washer in place, then removed extraneous pieces and freed up as much space as possible and seam welded the washer about 2/3 of the circumference. Then everything went back together; and yes it was tough getting the bolt into the holes due to the tight diameter I'd purposefully created.

After everything was put back together the steering was significantly improved: I'd say 95% of the slop was now gone, the remaining slop being attributable to the inevitable cumulative slack in tie rods and ski attachments.

Its a tedious process but I am optimistic this welded grade 8 washer will do the trick. Good luck.

IMG_0055-min.JPG

Many of you who boondock may have encountered the dreaded sloppy steering that results from Yamaha's poorly fabricated steering bracket at the bottom of the steering rod right before the tie rod steering assembly connection. Despite a brand new a-arm kit and bushings all around my steering was r-e-a-l-l-y sloppy at the end of last season due in large part to me punishing the Nytro in the backcountry and I promised myself a fix before this season began.

The project approaches were: (1) take apart sled to the subframe, weld shut the hole, then drill the hole to proper size for the steering rod, or (2) take apart some of the interior components sufficient to weld a washer in place.

Upon looking into subframe removal I was reluctant to even take off the entire airbox/radiator to allow the welder access to the problem bracket much less the entire subframe, and likewise realized after a bit of tweaking that the welder can reach about 2/3 of the hole in question with some careful maneuvering. I got excited.

Off to the hardware store where I picked up a few grade 8 washers just a hair smaller in diameter than the bolt; the idea was to use a grade 8 washer as an unconventional collar preventing further 'ovaling' of the OEM steering rod bracket.

Next step was taking a metal bit of the exact diameter as the bolt (use your calipers) and just barely widening the washer so it fit TIGHT with the steering rod bolt. Last, slowly and with great care, including keeping the bolt inserted for proper alignment, I tack welded the washer in place, then removed extraneous pieces and freed up as much space as possible and seam welded the washer about 2/3 of the circumference. Then everything went back together; and yes it was tough getting the bolt into the holes due to the tight diameter I'd purposefully created.

After everything was put back together the steering was significantly improved: I'd say 95% of the slop was now gone, the remaining slop being attributable to the inevitable cumulative slack in tie rods and ski attachments.

Its a tedious process but I am optimistic this welded grade 8 washer will do the trick. Good luck.

View attachment 156822

Keep us posted on how it works out.

I will add my 2 bits to this. I would not necessarily call the bracket poorly fabricated. The problem is the bolt loosening over time, which in turn elongates the holes. The sled is 13 years old as well. Was only the upper hole damaged? The bulletproof fix would be to use a collar instead of a washer on both the top and bottom hole, and then use a longer bolt. Removing the subframe is not a big job at all. When it is out you can attend to all the issues.

Back