• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

snow in MN???

4strokelover87

Lifetime Member
East Central Illinois (in the middle of a corn fie
Website
www.magsamenlandscapes.com
Looking at the snow maps, it looks like there is quite a bit of snow on the ground in the southeastern part of the state!!! Can anyone confirm or deny??? Also, I have never ridden in MN...what is the trail system like in this area??? We have a trip planned for MLK weekend to northern WI, but it's not looking too good anymore...time to start looking for alternatives!!!

i live in the northern part of the state - we have more snow than i can remember for this time of year - it's getting cold now, so anywhere north of duluth should be excellent.

After all of the warm weather we recently had the trails are not in good shape. If we get some more snow though they will be in really good shape.

woolyviper said:
i live in the northern part of the state - we have more snow than i can remember for this time of year - it's getting cold now, so anywhere north of duluth should be excellent.

Dang...that's a heck of a drive though...if we don't get more snow farther south in the near future, I'll be makin the trek!!!!

topdawg1817 said:
After all of the warm weather we recently had the trails are not in good shape. If we get some more snow though they will be in really good shape.

I was hoping the trails would have held up better south of St. Paul with all the snow you guys have had!!!

what about this whole 'speed limit' issue in MN i've been hearing about? people are saying they write tickets 'left and right' - is this hyperbole, being blown out of proportion, or what's the REAL story? are you basically stuck riding most of the time under 50 mph?

peterdb said:
what about this whole 'speed limit' issue in MN i've been hearing about? people are saying they write tickets 'left and right' - is this hyperbole, being blown out of proportion, or what's the REAL story? are you basically stuck riding most of the time under 50 mph?

Quoted from MN DNR regulations:

Speed Limits
It is unlawful to operate a snowmobile in excess of:
• 50 MPH on any public lands or waters
• the posted speed limits on a trail
• a speed greater than various trail, terrain and visibility
conditions dictate
• the posted road speed limit or 50 MPH, whichever is LOWER,
while operating in the ditch
• any governmental unit snowmobile speed limit. Governmental
units include any city, county, municipality, township, or
conservation district.
A county may enact a daytime 65 mph speed limit for marked trails
on frozen lakes that are over 10,000 acres. The county would need to
pass an ordinance and receive approval by the DNR Commissioner.
Individual counties will have more information on the location and status
of any designated 65 mph trails.

I would say if your gunna go riding in MN i would look at the grand rapids area. A buddy of mine was just a little north of their fishing and he said their was about 2 to 3 feet of fresh snow. I hope to head up their this weekend if i can get my sled tuned correctly before then.

Condition in Northeastern MN

Can someone tell me how the trails are aroung Duluth MN or just north of there.

Re: Condition in Northeastern MN

SSX600 said:

I spent a week just South of Superior WI, we had rain and warm temps on Thursday/Friday followed by cold. I came back Saturday due to the snow loss.

SSX600 said:
They just got a bunch of snow this past week up their when we had all the rain down in central mn. I would say the trails are probably pretty good up their but i would call up their to a hotel or gas station to find out for sure.

Norminator688 said:
SSX600 said:
They just got a bunch of snow this past week up their when we had all the rain down in central mn. I would say the trails are probably pretty good up their but i would call up their to a hotel or gas station to find out for sure.

Umm no offence but no, they didn't get a bunch of fresh snow in Duluth. I was 35 miles South of Duluth until yesterday. As I said they got rain and it was warm just before the weekend.....

team ducktape said:
Norminator688 said:
SSX600 said:

Umm no offence but no, they didn't get a bunch of fresh snow in Duluth. I was 35 miles South of Duluth until yesterday. As I said they got rain and it was warm just before the weekend.....
Yea idk i herd from 3 people that north of brainard around grand rapids area and north of their they had a lot of snow. I hope to be heading that way this weekend so i will keep ya posted.

Hello all
Sorry I haven't been paying too much attention to this forum lately because I've been too busy out Riding. The Grand Rapids MN area has about 2 to 2-1/2 ft on the ground. The Thursday storm that dropped rain on everyone else started out as drizzle in the morning but later turned into SNOW, big time. We got about 14 inches of snow around Grand Rapids. Further north, in the Marcell area they got about 18 inches.
The Taconite Trail from Grand Rapids to Buck Lake is pounded but will be groomed soon. From Grand Rapids to Bigfork there is plenty of snow. The snow depth varies but I would say its all between 18 and 36 inches deep everywhere.
In many places if you step off of the hard pack you'll find yourself almost waist deep in snow.
Right now we're in for a cold snap. The temps are around -20 deg F. More snow is on the way for the weekend as the temps move back into the plus teens.

Norminator688 said:
team ducktape said:
Norminator688 said:
SSX600 said:

Yea idk i herd from 3 people that north of brainard around grand rapids area and north of their they had a lot of snow. I hope to be heading that way this weekend so i will keep ya posted.

The question was asked about Duluth, not Grand rapids or Brainard. Duluth got the same crap we got on Thursday and Fiday as I said; rain and warm temps. About 1.5 hours to the North and West they got a ton of snow, but as I said before NOT in Duluth as that was where they where asking for.....

Back