• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snowtracker Updates???

I rode with the snow trackers on this weekend. I did not feel they were the answer to all my prayers. I guess I was hyped up and thought they would be the best thing since sliced bread. I'm not saying they are bad because they are not. They work very well. The snow conditions were not that great light fluffy snow and some iced out corners.
The steering effort at a dead stop is heavy once moving it is light. They do go where you point them and do not push on a trail with a good base. Darting was gone.
Now the bad. I personally feel that they made the inside ski lift worse, since the ski actually grabs and turns. The first day I played with the rebound dampening from full soft to hard. I found that full soft was best. The next day I did the same with compression and found full hard was best. I now have very minimal inside ski lift. I will next take the 10mm of preload out of the front springs and that will be the best I can get. if you DO NOT have Ohlins or KYB shocks with adjustable rebound and compression I feel these may make your inside ski lift worse. If anyone has them on a standard Apex feel free to say i'm wrong because I am assuming here.
Now I just hope they last as long as others are saying.

SledFreak said:
Daranello said:
Do they hurt top end.?

apparently NOT at all....

How can they not. They work because they bite in corners. Can't get best of both worlds. Its always a trade off. If you run trails, from what I read they are worth it and the best for your Yami 4 strokes.

Only place you should run top speed is on a lake anyway.

I have about 600 miles now with Snowtrackers installed. Suspension is at factory settings. Ski lift, YES. The ski lift is due to the bite in the corner. They do not slide thru like other carbides that I've used thus the unpleasent ski lift. It feels like you want to tip over. On the last trip I paid attention to my cornering speed. Drove another Apex without Snowtrackers. My cornering speed was down without the Snowtrackers. This is why I notice more ski lift with the trackers. I'm carrying more speed into the corners with the same confidence in the turning ability of the sled verses regular or doolies carbides for that matter. As far as gas mileage goes, I was the same as the two 06 Apex's that where with me. One had Snowtrackers as well and the other didn't. Actually did a little better than the Apex without Snowtrackers. About $0.50 per fill up.

I have used snowtrackers for a number of years on my 2004 rxwarrior (37,000 km). They do perform well as far as handeling goes. In the area I ride, snow cover over the last 2 seasons has been light. I find the snow trackers wear very quickley if they come in contact with rocks. Once you chip the carbide, they wear very quickly. I have dully on my 2006 apex, which I purchased this year, and have contacted a number of rocks. There is still a lot of carbide remaining. I have however broken 2 studs on one of the bars. The snowtrachers did eliminate the darting and improved.Last year I put 7000 km on my warrior.
At over $200.00 a set. the snowtrackers are an expensive solution. Woody doolys at $150.00 a pair is a more economical solution. I would say that the Woody handle to within 90% of the showtrackers.

Picksoo said:
I have used snowtrackers for a number of years on my 2004 rxwarrior (37,000 km). They do perform well as far as handeling goes. In the area I ride, snow cover over the last 2 seasons has been light. I find the snow trackers wear very quickley if they come in contact with rocks. Once you chip the carbide, they wear very quickly. I have dully on my 2006 apex, which I purchased this year, and have contacted a number of rocks. There is still a lot of carbide remaining. I have however broken 2 studs on one of the bars. The snowtrachers did eliminate the darting and improved.Last year I put 7000 km on my warrior.
At over $200.00 a set. the snowtrackers are an expensive solution. Woody doolys at $150.00 a pair is a more economical solution. I would say that the Woody handle to within 90% of the showtrackers.
I am jealous of the miles you log brother ;)! ;)! ;)! ;)!

Back