• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Some good words for Yamaha

nhrxrider

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Well I don't just spread doom and gloom for Yamaha, only when they deserve it. It makes me very happy to have something GOOD to say about them (besides the fact that they make the best 4-stroke sled on the planet!). I spoke with the dealer that took over the motor work on my sled, and the rep was there today installing it, and it should be done tomorrow! It looks like I'll have a sled to ride this winter, hopefully without carrying a couple quarts of oil with me!

For those who don't remember the never-ending story of my sled, I'll recap as quickly as I can. When I bought my sled new, it used a quart of oil before it had 500 miles on it. Dealer said it was normal because it was breaking in (B.S.). After moving to the other end of our state, I tried a new dealer, with the sled still under warranty. It was then using 1 qt. in 200-300 miles. Dealer said it was normal for a "high performance sled used at high RPMs for extended periods". More B.S. Last season it wasn't ridable, because it used 1 qt. in 110 miles, and another qt. in 100 miles! I spoke to a Yamaha rep who assured me I would be taken care of, and it would be covered (parts & labor). The sled was dropped at the dealer in Feb. In July they still had it, apart, with the engine parts tossed in 3 open cardboard boxes under a workbench! This fall I found that the dealer had gone out of business, without so much as a phone call letting me know. I tracked down my sled, at the dealer that took over the Yamaha franchise.

A few more calls to Yamaha, and they assured me that I would be getting a brand new engine, and a Yamaha rep to install it. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow morning with coffee and donuts for everyone there, and hopefully I'll get to see my sled with a shiny new motor mostly installed!

When I'm treated poorly, I let people know. But when I'm treated well, I make sure everyone knows that as well, and right now it looks like I'm being treated VERY WELL by Yamaha! :yam: :yam: :yam:

Some of you may be wondering about the dealers I've dealt with. Here they are:
Zoom City Powersports, Swanzey, NH: Dealer I bought it from, and the one who blew me off when i had some warranty issues, and the first signs of burning oil. They went out of business, and now go by the name Keene Motorsports. I've heard they handle their business much better now.

Dealer who blew me off the 2nd time I complained about oil usage: Currier RV & Marine in Berlin, N.H.. They also managed to put me through the wringer with warranty work, such as having to wait over a month during riding season for a new seat, because they refused to accept the fact that '03 seats were being updated with '04 seats.

North Country Powersports, Lancaster, N.H.: Dealer who took the sled in to do the engine work and completely screwed up my motor. They are now out of business.

DALTON MOUNTAIN MOTORSPORTS: Dealer who took over the Yamaha franchise in Lancaster, and inherited my headaches with it. I feel bad that they wound up with my problem, but they sure came through, and my hat is off to them. They have a great reputation as a Ski-Doo dealer, and hopefully they will keep that up with their new Yamaha line. If so, they will have me for a customer for life.

THANK YOU DALTON MOUNTAIN AND YAMAHA!

Jim :D :yam:

I guess you won't have to change your user name to Mr Gloom after all. :tg:

Great post and glad to hear things are working out. I know last season was a tough one for you and your motor. Really good to see a positive post and a happy outcome.

Glad it worked out for ya, you must be a true yammy fan to go thru all this and still praise yamaha. ;)! P.S I would too :yam:

I got to see my sled, and more importantly, HEAR it today! They had it up and running, and were just waiting on a couple replacement screws and misc. other parts to arrive from Yamaha that were lost during the move to this dealer (parts arrived while I was there). They not only replaced the engine, but also the carbs (are the carbs considered part of the engine assembly on these sleds?), and a few small parts that had been lost or damaged. They even ordered a new lower airbox cover because the plastic tube the drain hose hooks to was broken off. I would call that pretty minor, but they took care of it anyway.

Now I just need to close the deal on selling our shop, and depending on how much we have left after paying bills, my wife can have a new Vector, buy myself an Attak or Apex, and give my stepson my RX. Hmmmm...

Jim

kinsound,

Some of the '03 seats had problems with the material and stitching. Its not a recall, but if your seat had problems under warranty, then you would get an '04 seat as a replacement. The same thing if you were to go buy a new seat...you would be getting an '04, updated seat. Unfortunately Currier wouldn't listen, and basically told me I was nuts when i said they would need to order an updated '04 seat...they said there was no way Yamaha would authorize replacing a whole seat when the problem was in the material and foam. After almost a month waiting for an '03 seat, they finally realized the '03 seats were no longer available (why they had to wait so long), and checked with Yamaha...who told them the same thing I did, use an '04 seat assembly. I knew about the update thanks to this site...apparently before the dealer did!

While i was there the service rep asked about a few othing things, such as the non-working parking brake (actually, the whole assembly is missing from the sled now). I explained that it stopped working about 3 weeks after buying the sled, and the dealer refused to look at it, saying it was a wear item and adjustment issue, and it wasn't covered. The rep shook his head and said something to the effect of "no wonder they are out of business". I wish I had been dealing with the rep instead of having to go through the local dealers back then!

Jim

I'm happy for you. But who am I gonna share my missery with now? LOL

My local Yamaha dealer, Chippewa Motors (Team Chippewa) is the best. They're one of two long-lasting dealers who know how to treat customers. The other sells Doo's and Honda's.

Despite all my grief, I still wouldn't have anything else except maybe a NEW Yamaha 4-stroke. :yam: :4STroke:

Can I jump on the band wagon and sing praises for dealers/yamaha. After hearing of all the problems with the 05 mono suspension, I took my sled to Team motor sports in Green Bay back in June. I complained that I wanted them to replace the bushings, inspect everything else (change as needed) then install grease fittings in the same spot the 06's have them. They called yami and they replaced over $630.00 worth of parts in the rear suspension. When I sold my sled 2 days ago (to get a GT) it had all new 06 suspension components and the fittings were welded in, parts repainted ready to ride! No cost to me!

New update...and a major milestone. THE SLED IS DONE!!! I had a message when i got home from work last night to call the dealer today about picking it up. I headed over, unprepared in the slight snowstorm we got, with an open trailer and no cover (its still up at our shop, an hour away). On the way i was thinking about all the road slush, and decided to stop and buy a tarp to put over it. I don't want my new motor getting covered in salty slush!!! I'm glad I did, because I got another surprise when i walked into the dealer...

...they had washed and polished the entire sled, making it look even better than when I bought it new! Even my purchasing dealer never bothered to do that! I signed the paperwork, and the service guy asked about my exhaust, commenting that when they were testing it several of the guys commented on how good it sounded. (just a gutted stock exhaust...but we agreed that it was "just right", not too loud). I'm used to dealers who would have been giving me crap for having a modification to the sled...these guys were very cool.

I trailered it home, unloaded it, and took it for a couple quick passes up and down our snow-covered dirt road. It sounded great, and even though i didn't really get on it (hey, its brand new...time for break-in all over again!), it seemed to have more power than my old engine. It should though...with 25-35% on the leakdown test, it couldn't have been making all the power it should have.

Now its time to BRING ON THE SNOW!!!! :yam: :4STroke: :yam: :4STroke:

I suppose I should comment on my feelings at this point. Looking back I know i made some harsh comments directed at Yamaha. I wish i could say that I didn't really mean them...but I can't. I purchased a new sled for $9200, and got 2 limited riding seasons out of it because of all the times it was down, and only 2 half days of riding the third season. Was I wrong to be upset? I don't think so. I voiced my opinion every chance I got...and I would do it all over again if the situation repeated itself. Do I dislike Yamaha's products because of this experience? NO WAY! I still beliebe that they have, by far, the best 4-stroke sleds on the market, and probably the best sleds period ( I have no experience with their 2-strokes). I do think there was a serious problem in their service department, both at the dealer and corporate level, to take this long to deal with the problem. But i do give them all the credit in the world for coming forward and making it right in the end. By this point I was very ticked with Yamaha, and there was no reason for them to think they would gain me back as a happy customer, but they invested serious $$$ in correcting the problem anyway. That tells me they were concerned with doing the right thing more than trying to buy my business.

If I were to offer up suggestions for improvements, I guess I would say that Yamaha Corporation should become more involved with their dealers, instead of considering them a seperate entity. I had previously been told by Yamaha that their dealers were privately owned, and could do what they wanted, even if it meant shady sales and service practices. It seems that many parts of the country have a high ratio of good dealers. I wish I could say the same for New Hampshire. Fortunately I seemed to have found a great one now, and they will have my business for life, as long as they continue to treat me with respect.

Jim

Right on good to see and good for you. You must still believe in Santa and have been a good boy because you got your gift early. ;)! ;)! We need a Santa riding a Yami smiley!

nhrxrider-- Glad to hear you have your sled up and running.

Back