• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Split Rail Skis - Fact or Farce?

00-NUKE

Expert
Here it is......
I've spent months creating mods to eliminate the bumpsteer and push from my XTX. I've changed castor angles, A-arm angles, Tie Rod mounting points, etc. My bumpsteer is gone, but I have yet to test my latest changes due to these Freakin' crappy snow conditions.

My question is are these Split Rails for real???? I'm looking for Nytro owners that ride them and swear by them or Nytro owners that ride them and hate them. I'm not looking for riders that paid a lot of $coin$ for their split rails and have to say that their the greatest so that they don't look stupid for spending outragious amounts of money for skis.

The floor is open for opinions...............

Thanks!

I tested the Split Rails the season before they came to market...they are everything they say. I was able to try them on 3 different sleds, a Rush, an XP and a Nytro. They are a fantastic ski, I don't have a bad thing to say about them, and they kept that Nytro planted.

I don't know anything about the split rail's except the price. You can eliminate the tracking and the push with a pair of extreme Snow Tracker's for a little over $200. Don't judge them by the way they look just put them on set toe to o with a bunge across the ski tip's and you won't believe it's the same sled. Every one that has ridden my sled with them on has bought a pair. Ski's are a wast of a lot of money unless you need more flotation.

They are an awesome concept and apparently work quite well. The inventor is an avid sailer in addition to also being a sledder. He came up with the idea watching Catamaran sailboats race in a Ragatta one day. They cut through the snowy corners like a Catamaran cutting through the wake out at sea. Totally different concept than typical skis. I'm just bummed there are no longer plans to develop a spindle for these skis to fit the Apex. :o|

I spoke with him at the Peterboro show for at least an hour maybe longer.
He knows his stuff and is very good at the promotion. I almost walked away with a pair but by the looks of things I may have been the only guy that even almost did. They even had a good return policy. (show promotion maybe?) They do want them out there so that people see them and try them. But it's a hard sell. In Ontario after taxes you are in for $900.
I just picked up a decent Indy 400 for my kids for that.
I'm going to wait as I'm already invested into the skis I like to run.
The one thing he won't want to tell you and it might come out at the end of the hard sell if you can get it out of him.
OEMs are knocking at his door.
Will one of them pick up his patent?
Let's hope so then maybe we'll have more options in the future.

yamaha needs to step up and grab this patent! Show us that you are listening to our complaints. For trail riding they just flat out work! Some people say they sink in the deep stuff. the sled i rode did ok, not great with them on. My curves float much better. But for trail riding they are the real deal

Split Rail -

I ride a 2010 Nytro, mainly trail running here in Ontariio. Nytro is a great sled but supsected the handling could be improved from what I was experiencing initially. Tried a set of doolies which eliminated the darting but, in my opinon increased 'push' in the corners on sloppy trails. The big blunt bar under the ski did not carve through the snow. I found I had to get on the brake in corners because the sled wasnt coming around. Not to mention fuel mileage was stunted.

Fed up with those results I did a lot of reading and splurged on Split Rails. Frankly there has been no looking back. That sled handles much lighter now, you can place it exactly where you want to - frankly, its a weapon.

Found that tight forest trails could be run at constant speeds - no more on and off gas. Big sweeping turns in open fields - the ski had insane grip. I found that on corners where I would have to run wide and go off the trail, the Split Rails stuck and at pretty fast speeds. There is one trail that turns 90 degrees in an open field that I would make 50% of the time. WIth the Split Rails I was taking that corner all the time and at 100kph.

The thing that suck with me is - the worse the conditions are, rough sloppy, churned up trails, the better the ski works. That centre channell of snow that runs through each keel gives it incredible stability.

Good luck with your decision. Right now, - I would never go back!
MS

Re: Split Rail -

Sevey said:
I ride a 2010 Nytro, mainly trail running here in Ontariio. Nytro is a great sled but supsected the handling could be improved from what I was experiencing initially. Tried a set of doolies which eliminated the darting but, in my opinon increased 'push' in the corners on sloppy trails. The big blunt bar under the ski did not carve through the snow. I found I had to get on the brake in corners because the sled wasnt coming around. Not to mention fuel mileage was stunted.

Fed up with those results I did a lot of reading and splurged on Split Rails. Frankly there has been no looking back. That sled handles much lighter now, you can place it exactly where you want to - frankly, its a weapon.

Found that tight forest trails could be run at constant speeds - no more on and off gas. Big sweeping turns in open fields - the ski had insane grip. I found toohat on corners where I would have to run wide and go off the trail, the Split Rails stuck and at pretty fast speeds. There is one trail that turns 90 degrees in an open field that I would make 50% of the time. WIth the Split Rails I was taking that corner all the time and at 100kph.

The thing that suck with me is - the worse the conditions are, rough sloppy, churned up trails, the better the ski works. That centre channell of snow that runs through each keel gives it incredible stability.

Good luck with your decision. Right now, - I would never go back!

Newbie with 4 posts. True or great sales promotion?
MS

AttackDog, the funny thing is his statement is bang on regarding the Split Rails...they are the perfect ski for the Nytro.

how much are they charging for them in U.S. $$$?

I have had two people, who do not sell Snotrackers, with over a couple thousand miles on them tell me that these are the greatest improvement to steering they have every had. I am ordering mine to try, way cheaper than a $500.00+ pair of skis. They told me once you try these you will never go back. I will report back with I find sometime in January when there is snow.

They are Arrow skis that were attacked by a table saw. Yamahas new ski is simailar without the missing middle. They do win on looks. You will see them on many show sleds I bet.

With carbides and tax they are $1100. That alone is a huge strike against them, there are similar alternatives for a fraction of the cost. One just has to do some research.

Back