• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

stainless y pipe questions

We have seen a lot of failure and I just looked at the Apex that we have in the shop and the failure on the y-pipe (titanium) is significant on the pto side. The mag side had a little damage. The new stainless are definately heavier duty almost double of what the titanium is.

My dealer hasn't had one back (Yet LOL) that he has taken 2 mm off the clamps with SS. Having them not be able to move appears to make a difference as well.

I had one pipe break and it was completely opposite the clutch.

I got my RX1 take offs from a dealer for $150 (both). They were parting out a sled. Midas made them the right length for an Apex for $20.

NY AttakGT said:
copo427ss said:
the part # starting with 8FP was superseeded to part # 8FR. both were stainless steel pipes. but yamaha was still having failures with the stainless 8fp number, soo, they added a shield to the pipes to keep the snow from hitting them. in thinking that the extreme temp changes is putting stress on the flanges causing them to crack. which is why the old ss pipes were in fact $75 cost and the new ones are now $165. ?

Good point about the left side. I thought the pipes breaking/cracking was due to a combination of the chassis flexing and/or engine movement (twisting under high torque, etc..)??

Maybe your dealer should buy from theses guys then?? lol. I would highly doubt they are selling it to the public under dealer cost, so something must be wrong with your #'s. As you can see, they are the updated "8FR" versions.

13 EXHAUST PIPE ASSY 1
8FR-14610-00-00 (replaces 8FP-14610-00-00) 1 $212.24 $139.55
14 EXHAUST PIPE ASSY 2
8FR-14620-00-00 (replaces 8FP-14620-00-00) 1 $212.24 $139.55

NY> where did you get those prices from? yamaha corporate told me that it would be around $250 to me (cost plus 10%). the dealer disagreed. my part numbers are the same as you have posted. so your prices make more sense to what corporate told me.

WHEELAWAY said:
We have seen a lot of failure and I just looked at the Apex that we have in the shop and the failure on the y-pipe (titanium) is significant on the pto side. The mag side had a little damage. The new stainless are definately heavier duty almost double of what the titanium is.

There is a reason for that. Ti is a stronger material than steel, this allows for the engineers to reduce the amount of material required to obtain the strength characteristics needed. Ti, at least in it's raw form is actually heavier than steel/iron, but the mechanical properties allow a significant amount of material reduction, which reduces the end weight of the product. Now the catch, wear properties, I'm not sure how they compare to the stainless, and since there are many different alloys it's hard to say for sure. However, if your looking for abrasion life, a thicker flange certainly will help, if the flange on the stainless pipe is twice as thick, and the wear properties of the ti is less than double that of the stainless, then you can see how the stainless may hold up to the abrasion better.

On the other hand lets think about the reason Yam switched from Ti to stainless. Is it because of durability, or the cost of having to replace exhaust parts under the 5 year emission warranty, which is not a choice on their part, that's the Gov. Not to mention the cost of manufacturing the Ti is far greater than that of the stainless.

I put the 8FP's on this past March and only 80$ apiece. Wondering if 8FR's have the added flange to reduce airflow to y-pipe connection to stabalize the temps and reduce wear.

i too would like to see one? i may bite the bullit and go buy one side to get me by this season. if so i'll post a pic.

copo427ss said:
NY> where did you get those prices from? yamaha corporate told me that it would be around $250 to me (cost plus 10%). the dealer disagreed. my part numbers are the same as you have posted. so your prices make more sense to what corporate told me.

The cheapest price ($139.55/each) is from www.cyclepartswarehouse.com. Figure about $20 for the shipping

Another cheap price is from www.yamahasportsplaza.com . This what their pricing looks like

13 Loading... SKU: 8FP-14610-10-00
EXHAUST PIPE ASSY 1 1 $148.57
14 Loading... SKU: 8FP-14620-10-00
EXHAUST PIPE ASSY 2 1 $148.57
Again, shipping is about $22 (to me anyway)

Those who want to pay more from other vendors, feel free. Just trying to save my TY brothers some extra $$

called my buddy that is a parts manager at another dealer. he revealed the true dealer cost to me at $106 each. but the best he could do was 180.
thanks NY.

NY AttakGT said:
copo427ss said:

The cheapest price ($139.55/each) is from www.cyclepartswarehouse.com. Figure about $20 for the shipping

Another cheap price is from www.yamahasportsplaza.com . This what their pricing looks like

13 Loading... SKU: 8FP-14610-10-00
EXHAUST PIPE ASSY 1 1 $148.57
14 Loading... SKU: 8FP-14620-10-00
EXHAUST PIPE ASSY 2 1 $148.57
Again, shipping is about $22 (to me anyway)

Those who want to pay more from other vendors, feel free. Just trying to save my TY brothers some extra $$

I just ordered both y pipes from the bottom link...148.57 each..18.97 shipped for both.
My local Yamaha dealer wanted 212 apiece.

:Rockon:

BTW..they show the new p/n.
8fr-14610-00-00
8fr-14620-00-00
Closet price I found was 159 each..thanks.

Wait til you see the little flange they put on and doubled the price on us. To me that just made a very frustrating problem worse by sticking it to us in price. Instead of doing what they can to help alleviate the pain of a poor design, they are profiting off of it just the same or worse as any other part they sell. Over 50% markup when you have a widespread issue like this is unacceptable to me. It also negates the strong message of how long these 4 strokes run when you can rebuild a top end for cheaper than this problem.

Back