• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter, Gears and One Way Clutch Inspection

20210316_135223.jpg

The backed off allen-head bolts on the outer ring of the one-way clutch gave that outer ring a beating. Also pounded the spokes on the flywheel starter gear. That must be what finally did enough damage to shear the bolts off.

20210316_135302.jpg

20210316_141949.jpg

Also, perhaps because the backed off bolts placed pressure on that starter gear, the gear itself seemed actually forced up against a bracket and a counter balance weight behind the starter gear.

20210316_134958.jpg

20210316_135024.jpg

The bracket seems fine. I've no worries about replacing it. I chose not to order a new counter balance weight, since the new starter gear won't be up against it. Am I wrong to not replace it? I didn't think its condition would throw off its revolutions, but I'm not certain. It was another $46, more now with shipping if I do decide to order.

Also, I'm just baffled at those bolts backing out. Not tightened down fully initially? Or no threadlocker? Or did the previous (and original) owner get in there and mess around then decide to sell without disclosing issues?

Meh, only got about 30 miles of riding in before this thing tanked. Buyer beware. I bought the machine just prior to moving from Washington back up to Alaska. Fingers crossed for parts getting here soon and saving the end of snow season here.

just make sure both parts are clean and dry with no oil residue before locktighing the bolts in. learned that the hard way with a set of bike cams.

just make sure both parts are clean and dry with no oil residue before locktighing the bolts in. learned that the hard way with a set of bike cams.

Good advice!

I've never seen those bolts back out. I think if they are torqued properly they should be good but it sure wouldn't hurt to put a drop of red loctite on them.

I've never seen those bolts back out. I think if they are torqued properly they should be good but it sure wouldn't hurt to put a drop of red loctite on them.

Red loctite on, all back together and about 150 miles on the VK since then. A bit if extra rattle noise, sounds like maybe from the clutch side, that I'll need to dig into further. But first, left rear idler wheel fell off (in my driveway, luckily). Will need to check and grease all bearings and replace this wheel I think. Looks like the original wheels are integral with bearings, but newer ones may have separate bearings. Thanks again gentlemen.
20210405_143027.jpg

I know this is kinda old thread but i, replacing my stator and I can't find the correct size bolts for my puller. I believe the bolt size is 7mm-125x80 that I need any ideas here???
Thanks guys

I know this is kinda old thread but i, replacing my stator and I can't find the correct size bolts for my puller. I believe the bolt size is 7mm-125x80 that I need any ideas here???
Thanks guys
I just replaced my stator. As well as the starter, the starter "pinion" gear, one-way sprag clutch, flywheel, etc.... The bolts are 7's. We have a good hardware store here. I just the little bolts in and matched them up.

Thanks for your quick reply. I found 7’s with a 100 pitch but they don’t go in well I believe they are a 125 pitch. Also with my puller they do need to be almost 3 inches .
Would you please give me the name of your hardware store and where it is and maybe they can help. We’re your bolts that long as well ? Also do you know what pitch you used ? I’m afraid to run em in and strip em out.I thought about a jaw type puller but I don’t think it would fit
Thanks again

Thanks for your quick reply. I found 7’s with a 100 pitch but they don’t go in well I believe they are a 125 pitch. Also with my puller they do need to be almost 3 inches .
Would you please give me the name of your hardware store and where it is and maybe they can help. We’re your bolts that long as well ? Also do you know what pitch you used ? I’m afraid to run em in and strip em out.I thought about a jaw type puller but I don’t think it would fit
Thanks again
They are a 1.25 pitch. The bolts I got from Gordon's hardware in Dekalb Illinois are only 4 inches long. I wished they were longer, but I got them to work. I was gonna weld some other bolts to them to increase the length. But didn't. I guess you could order some longer ones from FASTENAL...?

They are a 1.25 pitch. The bolts I got from Gordon's hardware in Dekalb Illinois are only 4 inches long. I wished they were longer, but I got them to work. I was gonna weld some other bolts to them to increase the length. But didn't. I guess you could order some longer ones from FASTENAL...?
I thought I looked there but I’ll check again
Thanks for all your help !

I called Gordons and they were the only ones to check with their suppliers but could not come up with bolts or threaded rod. No go at Fastenal as well. again thanks for your help.
I may start a new thread to see if I get any more ideas .
Thanks again Liter

Back