• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starting an RX-1 in close to -40°

ReX

TY 4 Stroke God
I was just reading a few posts on RX-1's not starting well below -28°C.

Is this correct? Around here we get temperatures down to -40°C on occaision and I won't be impressed if it doesn't start.

So far the coldest night was around -35°C and my 05 RX-1 ER started no problem in the morning after sitting outside all night (although it was around 10:00 AM). Flipper's Vector also started right up. The Rev in the group wouldn't start though (frozen battery). All of the sleds started right up the next morning at around -28°C (new battery in the Rev).

Should I expect any trouble when it gets closer to -40°C? It is running semi-synthetic 0W30 Yamalube (Yamalube 4-S Extreme Cold Weather Formula).

BTW, all my Polaris sleds have started fine -40°C as well as my cars (2000 Saturn SL2/SW2) and my truck (1976 motor - Chevy 350). None of my current vehicles have block heaters (the cars and trucks do have oversize batteries though - especially the truck).

Had a problem at -32 deg F. Started right up as soon as I put a battery charger on it.

Since then I use amsoil 0-40, but, have not seen these temps as we now stay at Crazy Al's (St Zenon) with the heated garage NNNIIIICCCCEEEEE !!!!!!!

There is no doubt....they do not fire up as quick in those temps!

The biggest problem is the battery does not have enough juice to turn the motor over as long as you need to fire the motor. (when it is that cold)

Make sure you use gas line antifreeze!

its also very helpful to put some heet in the gas tank before ur done running, or whenever u fill up, it helps out a lot

I can't see another 5 degree's colder being a problem if yours started at -35 already.
I also agree with goldberg by asking why you would want to ride at those temps :drink:

I had trouble starting my 03 RX1 only once, it was on the first ride in 03, it would not start at -30. Tried jump starting it, charging the battery, nothing helped except.... I gave it a short shot of ether starting fluid. It started right up. Since then, whenever it is below 0, I give it a very small shot of ether, starts quickly every time. I keep a very small can of starting fluid with me, I've used it maybe 6 times.

My brothers, nephews and I have rode in Fort Kent Me. with morning temps below -40 deg and all 7 2003 RX-1's. Last year we did have a problem with them starting at -30 below because the batteries were not fully charged. We started the year off without using the battery tender that is recomended to help maintain the battery over the summer. I think you should just go outside and show the others that you sled is great and taken care of will start each and every time you want it too... Enjoy the ride like all the other RX-1 owners do. :yam: :4STroke: :D

both of mine started in -4F(-20C) after being trailered 60 miles making them even colder. No problems firing with the choke on. Took a little longer to warm up but they fired with no problem

uhhhh!!!! what did you say??? :drink: did you say it was -4 and trailering it made it colder? i dont think metal or plastic feels a wind chill??

This morning, temp was -34

I have to put my sled in garage to wash it, before run tomorrow, sled sleep outside.

Sled start with almost no problem, problem was me, who has frozen hand

i have started mine at -40 with yamaha oil still in the moter no problem it just took a little longer to warm up thats all ;)!

Sounds like I'll probably be OK, but I guess we'll see...

Why would i want to sled in -40? I love sledding and any chance I get to go I take. Winter is too short.

Also, on the 2-strokes -40 would give you that extra power (4-stroke too, just not as much), not to mention the amazing traction and the empty trails. I used to look forward to those cold days and evenings. Now my preference is for a little warmer, but I'll still sled in any conditions.

at -40 would a motor actually run better???.....i can understand at 0 or -5 but would -40 be a little to much............im talking farenheight ...........just wondering

Back