• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starting Issues

kyzer

VIP Member
Hello I have a 2016 Viper lx dx. Only 3000 km. I just replaced my battery. I have always had the Viper start blues but it has always started. I have the lastest flash. I bought a new battery in December. When my sled is cold it wont fire up. Cranks until the battery weakens but no fire. Brought the battery back the beginning of January they said it was defective. They gave me another. Tried the new one same issue. I put my meter on it. When battery is cold sitting overnight it shows 12.2 volts. While trying to crank the voltage drops to 7.2 ish. After I boost the sled with my battery booster its showing 14.2-14.4. I brought the battery back they load tested it and said the battery was good. I think its the battery again. But have to have a reason . The battery states 230cca. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
This seems to be a somewhat common issue for some. I’m no different and frustrated. Just picked up my sled from the shop yesterday. 2014 viper xtx. It sat in a heated shop all week was good and warm. Went to start and it just cranked and cranked and cranked and finally started up. This has been the case with this sled ever since I bought it 3 years ago. New battery didn’t solve anything. It’s just a real bitch to start. Once it starts and is warm there are no issues with starting after that. But that first starts is always just brutal. I’ve read replace plugs, injectors, Seafoam, fuel? Fuel pump always kicks in when key is turned. Any solutions to this or just a process of elimination.

I am working a 2014 ZR 7000 with the same issue. It is going to the dealer soon to see if it has the latest flash. After that ????

I thought I heard that after a while valve clearance needs to be checked, and if adjustment is needed, it can cause "hard to start" conditions.

Check the alignment of the crank sensor mark with the shorter tooth which is located on the backside of stub shaft.

This seems to be a somewhat common issue for some. I’m no different and frustrated. Just picked up my sled from the shop yesterday. 2014 viper xtx. It sat in a heated shop all week was good and warm. Went to start and it just cranked and cranked and cranked and finally started up. This has been the case with this sled ever since I bought it 3 years ago. New battery didn’t solve anything. It’s just a real bitch to start. Once it starts and is warm there are no issues with starting after that. But that first starts is always just brutal. I’ve read replace plugs, injectors, Seafoam, fuel? Fuel pump always kicks in when key is turned. Any solutions to this or just a process of elimination.
Check your valve clearance. Tight exhaust valve clearances will cause hard cold starts but will start normal when engine is warm

The sled I am helping with at has only 1400 miles on it. The speedo is off also.

I remember hearing that some sleds that were reflashed had speedo issues afterwards due to not being flashed with correct model info. There is a difference in track driver size between some models and if proper flash was not installed it would result in speedometer being incorrect

Back