• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steering boots

fc8464

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
09 Summit
15 Viper MTX 153 blue/white
Thawing my Viper out today after Fridays ride and noticed steering boots full of ice to the point they where stretching the boot and couple of the retaining clips were missing. This is a flash back to my old Rev. Any one else noticed this or better yet whats the fix? Fred

I've noticed it as well, especially the last few weekends in the deep snow in Valdez. By the end of the day they were icebergs. no real fix other than a small mallet and break it up and push it out of boot and into engine bay. Lots of ice buildup as well underneath the radiator, lots!

I bought an extra Thumb screw for the exhaust side and that helps to keep the snow from finding it's way in, I have also heard of the Arctic cat guys running a bead of silicone around the boot. I haven't had any issues since I added the thumb screw but deep powder has been hard to come by this year.

I had this happen on my nytro, fixed it by putting pre-filter on every opening in and around the hood.

Boots are not the problem. Its the ill fitting body panels and poor Cat fit and finish. The large openings need to be Frogskinned.

Mine filled up and swelled up so bad that it pushed the front tabs on the rear skid plate down and tore the bolt holes out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 197
I thinck the biggest culprit is the louvered front above the radiator. Last ride the snow was just being pushed in there, But like Swampcat said seal every thing up. Might also try reversing the fan like Stingray had done.

Did anyone check with the dealer and see if this was a common issue?
Mine swelled so much that they ripped. I checked with the dealer for warranty but they won't cover it.

I was just looking at the top of that boot where it meets frame. There should be another of those removable rivets there. It's not a good seal so any snow or melt can run right down into boot. Maybe add another rivet or silicone it there for sure.

You guys probably know this but I never noticed the two unscreened vents on each side of nose are wide open. Got to be a bunch of snow that gets rammed through there in deep. I am going to stuff some of that air conditioner filter material in there.
image.jpeg

Mine is exactly the same.
Boots swelled up so much one side ripped.

Do you happen to know the part number of the boot? Mine ripped the other day and need some replacements. Hoping that they don’t cost to much

Back