• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stock Sidewinder vs. stock 850 Polaris

journeyman

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Attak GT
Just throwing it out there. This was on my recent UP of Michigan trip on my Sidewinder (Stx-Dx) 137 with Cobra track and no studs , bone stock with 4400 miles. A fella that came along this year had a brand new 2019 Assault 850 144 Cobra and no studs. Both sleds were bone stock. We did a roll on one time and also a drag race from a dead stop. His sled had around 2000 miles on it.

With the roll on he did the 1-2-3 Nod and go and I surged ahead immediately and looked back over both shoulders but I did not see him. When we got to the Mosquito Inn he said he was right on my snow flap. I found that strange since I thought he let off and can honestly say I did not see that part.

When we left the Mosquito Inn the main trail going south had a nice groom and it was super long and wide and not a sole around. We lined up from a dead stop with him doing the nod again which gives him the advantage. The other big advantage he has for drag racing is the uncoupled rear skid. He plain rocks back and catapults off the line. He spotted me a good 4 sled lengths right out of the gate. I thought to myself, "man this is going to be hard to make up"! I guess I was wrong, my Winder reeled him in hard and I blew by him at the 85-90 mph mark. Not just an easy pass, like a jet airplane. I guess that answered that question. I can only imagine if mine was a 141 XTX with the uncoupled skid it would not get beat off the line that hard and the race would be over even earlier.

I have now since had it flashed so all things should change for the better on my end. Knock on wood!!

In the meantime he was hoping to get his in for the 850 re-flash update but the dealer up there was booked. He said it was supposed to gain 7 more HP. When I got home a friend was telling me that one of the larger Polaris dealers in the Mpls/St Paul area has 18 blown up 850's sitting at their dealership, yes 18!! All had the flash too, none blew up beforehand. It was supposed to get their emissions in check but it sounds like it's leaning them out too much. Good Grief!!

when he pulled you from a standstill, how long of a distance did you go for?

Ive got an XTX and against an 800 doo with a 146" 2.5 lug weighing 50 lbs more than him. He pulls me about 2 lengths and I cant catch him in 150 yards, right on his flap. 200 yards and it feels like you are passing in an airplane like you said. -20f on a groomed trail on a lake, biggest issue is traction for me giving up that much length. Anything longer than 200 yards its clear to see how it would end.

Just throwing it out there. This was on my recent UP of Michigan trip on my Sidewinder (Stx-Dx) 137 with Cobra track and no studs , bone stock with 4400 miles. A fella that came along this year had a brand new 2019 Assault 850 144 Cobra and no studs. Both sleds were bone stock. We did a roll on one time and also a drag race from a dead stop. His sled had around 2000 miles on it.

With the roll on he did the 1-2-3 Nod and go and I surged ahead immediately and looked back over both shoulders but I did not see him. When we got to the Mosquito Inn he said he was right on my snow flap. I found that strange since I thought he let off and can honestly say I did not see that part.

When we left the Mosquito Inn the main trail going south had a nice groom and it was super long and wide and not a sole around. We lined up from a dead stop with him doing the nod again which gives him the advantage. The other big advantage he has for drag racing is the uncoupled rear skid. He plain rocks back and catapults off the line. He spotted me a good 4 sled lengths right out of the gate. I thought to myself, "man this is going to be hard to make up"! I guess I was wrong, my Winder reeled him in hard and I blew by him at the 85-90 mph mark. Not just an easy pass, like a jet airplane. I guess that answered that question. I can only imagine if mine was a 141 XTX with the uncoupled skid it would not get beat off the line that hard and the race would be over even earlier.

I have now since had it flashed so all things should change for the better on my end. Knock on wood!!

In the meantime he was hoping to get his in for the 850 re-flash update but the dealer up there was booked. He said it was supposed to gain 7 more HP. When I got home a friend was telling me that one of the larger Polaris dealers in the Mpls/St Paul area has 18 blown up 850's sitting at their dealership, yes 18!! All had the flash too, none blew up beforehand. It was supposed to get their emissions in check but it sounds like it's leaning them out too much. Good Grief!!
Is this a flash from Polaris or an aftermarket flash?

Is this a flash from Polaris or an aftermarket flash?

From Polaris....my understanding it was because the 850 was not passing the emission requirements. No wonder they have been faster than the 850 Ski Doo, it doesn't comply.

when he pulled you from a standstill, how long of a distance did you go for?

Ive got an XTX and against an 800 doo with a 146" 2.5 lug weighing 50 lbs more than him. He pulls me about 2 lengths and I cant catch him in 150 yards, right on his flap. 200 yards and it feels like you are passing in an airplane like you said. -20f on a groomed trail on a lake, biggest issue is traction for me giving up that much length. Anything longer than 200 yards its clear to see how it would end.

I would say it took me a good 400-500 feet to surpass him considering the big hole shot he spotted me. Four sled lengths is a lot to make up but it seemed once my track gripped I was gaining on him the whole time. Enough that it was immediately noticeable like ....WOW I am really reeling him in hard!! I was just hoping he wouldn't let up and then say....see I beat you!! All I know is he never wanted to race again the rest of the week. He mentioned that riding behind two Sidewinders that we could cruise the long straightaways at 85 mph and we were not working. I'd be like half throttle and he said his 850 was just singing and working hard in those situations.

LOL!
That didn't take long!
:);)!

I finally took it for a spin yesterday to test it out. Holy Cow does this thing rip now. I went with the Hurricane stock muffler bundle tune ....225/240/270 with Dalton clutch parts. Just at the 225 setting it goes so much stronger than stock, it's a hoot!! At 240 it gets a lot more nasty and to be honest I am not sure I'll even mess with the 270 setting, especially to save on belts and clutching....etc.

I finally took it for a spin yesterday to test it out. Holy Cow does this thing rip now. I went with the Hurricane stock muffler bundle tune ....225/240/270 with Dalton clutch parts. Just at the 225 setting it goes so much stronger than stock, it's a hoot!! At 240 it gets a lot more nasty and to be honest I am not sure I'll even mess with the 270 setting, especially to save on belts and clutching....etc.
hahahaha.... once you try the 270 youll never use the 225/240 again....

From Polaris....my understanding it was because the 850 was not passing the emission requirements. No wonder they have been faster than the 850 Ski Doo, it doesn't comply.
Any Modern stock Emissions legal Car Motorcycle or snowmobile will run too lean .. All you have to do is richen them up about 5% and they will be more responsive run better and cooler.
Now my 2006 Atak always ran way too rich as if the choke was stuck on .. I put about 2 gallons of E-85 in with every fill up .. and it has the sweet smell of Moonshine now ..
I have an Oxygen Sensor in the Exhaust and an adjustable Boondocker plug in Controller.. but I have it all set to zero at the moment.. Just the same with the Air Fuel Ratio gauge I always know where I am at..

Back