• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Storm 150 1st season update

jlinstruth

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha sidewinder ltx se
I had a Storm 150 installed on my ltx se last fall, installed 250 INS screw in studs instead of conventional. I was trying to avoid tearouts. Last winter we had lots of snow where we ride, but work limited my season to 500 miles. The Storm 150 with screws was the perfect setup for aggressive trail, even with some icy conditions. All good till other day when I went to pull sleds out of trailer for preseason maint. I started looking at track and noticed many of the lugs were torn right off and gone, everywhere. Track looks like I road up a rocky mountain with no snow. Called dealer to submit for warranty, waiting to hear now. Hopefully just a glitch, because this track is probable the best setup I've rode on for trail riding.

I had a Storm 150 installed on my ltx se last fall, installed 250 INS screw in studs instead of conventional. I was trying to avoid tearouts. Last winter we had lots of snow where we ride, but work limited my season to 500 miles. The Storm 150 with screws was the perfect setup for aggressive trail, even with some icy conditions. All good till other day when I went to pull sleds out of trailer for preseason maint. I started looking at track and noticed many of the lugs were torn right off and gone, everywhere. Track looks like I road up a rocky mountain with no snow. Called dealer to submit for warranty, waiting to hear now. Hopefully just a glitch, because this track is probable the best setup I've rode on for trail riding.
Your not the first who has had this happen... That sucks, hope you get it warrantied.

Good luck, never got a penny. Loved the track but just not durable. Warranty isn't worth the paper they print on.

What's a good alternative to replace the 1.25" Rip II if the Storm doesn't cut it?

well i am trying a composit c38 this year on my 11 apex. like how it hooked on a 136" rx1 and decided to try one as i needed a track. not going to stud it or i grip it to see how it is durability wise as i had good luck with the stock ripsaw.

What's a good alternative to replace the 1.25" Rip II if the Storm doesn't cut it?
Rip 2 1.25” is the best all around track IMO and here is why. Last year 2 of my buddies lined up in 10-12” of fresh snow. The 2 sleds were. 129” 850 doo with a 1.25 rip 2 vs 137” xrs 850 with a 1.75” back country and the short rip 2 didn’t give an inch to the longer and deeper lugged sled in a good amount of snow. I was impressed and very glad my ‘20 LE has the rip 2 from factory. On my ‘13 apex that I traded, I replaced the track at 8k miles and could not get a rip 2 in 144” length so went 1.75” back country and shaved it down to about 1 3/8. That was a good set up but rip 2 Is far superior. Happy riding

Did you buy the single ply or 2 ply?

Damn that's the 3rd one I've heard of tearing lugs off. Put one on my 17 LTX LE last season and rode about 1500 miles (crappy winter in western NY. Low mileage total for me for a season but trips were my main source of those miles last year ) I absolutely loved the track. Minimal stud pattern down the middle just for some ice traction/safety while still letting me try out and review the track for what it was intended. When I put it away for the summer I didnt notice any wear that I can recall on any lugs. Will have to double check when I get it out of storage next weekend. Hopefully they can do something for you, 500 miles doesn't seem acceptable if you were riding on anything but pavement lol

Best track for trail is ice attack model by camso 256 studs installed at factory and rigid lucks for amazing acceleration, the track weighs 10 pounds less than ripsaw with studs giving you better acceleration from 0 to 120mph, good luck

Camso website shows 137" x 15" w 2.86 pitch @ 42 lbs. with 256 studs. Ripsaw 2 is 42 lbs bare. So, if a guy added 256 studs to a Ripsaw 2, assuming using aluminum backers & nuts with 1.50 Triggers, that would add 18.5 lbs.

Camso website shows 137" x 15" w 2.86 pitch @ 42 lbs. with 256 studs. Ripsaw 2 is 42 lbs bare. So, if a guy added 256 studs to a Ripsaw 2, assuming using aluminum backers & nuts with 1.50 Triggers, that would add 18.5 lbs.

256 conventional studs for trail riding is just overkill imo....way too many. 180 studs/129; 192 studs/137 ...which is 4 per row, is plenty. So subtract quite a bit of weight off your estimation.

Back