• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Storm 150 1st season update

My 129'' Ice-Ripper with 240 "stud tips" weighed the same as a RIP II with no studs.
I think it was 7lbs heavier with 96 studs.

I've heard some good reports on the Composit tracks. And they're two thirds the price. They are stout, but higher mileage is needed before the jury is out for me.

256 conventional studs for trail riding is just overkill imo....way too many. 180 studs/129; 192 studs/137 ...which is 4 per row, is plenty. So subtract quite a bit of weight off your estimation.

192 ea. 1.625" StudBoy Lake Racer studs mounted on double aluminum backers with short aluminum nylock nuts weighs 13.86 lbs.
Picture shows 6 studs, 6 nuts, and 3 double backers sitting on my gram scale. Simple math. I extrapolated what 256 would weigh based on this.
(13.86/192) x 256 = 18.5lbs.

I agree with you that 256 is waaay tooo many for trail riding. I have 192 on my 137" track.
BTW - my StudBoy ProLite double backer setup is 15% lighter than the aluminum setup described above.

Attachments

• studding5.5.jpg
    studding5.5.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 154
The pre stud ice tracks are equal to about half the push through studs, the ice attack track benefits from lug design , much stiffer rubber it hooks up very well and doesn’t rip lugs off

Well camso said screws voided warranty and they said power of sidewinder is to much for storm 150, paddles gonna keep folding and tearing off. They suggested ripsaw2 1.5 with conventional studs up middle. Seems they might clarify what sleds these tracks shouldn't be installed on.
Question: anyone have luck with studying composit tracks on sidewinder.

I've got 1,666 miles on my Ice Storm 150 and track looks brand new. Completely stock last year, so went with Tune for this year. Time will tell if it holds up this year. Absolutely love the track and the hook up in all conditions. Pre-studded provided just enough traction around icy corners to stay under control. Will need to report back later this year after the running the tune.

The pre stud ice tracks are equal to about half the push through studs, the ice attack track benefits from lug design , much stiffer rubber it hooks up very well and doesn’t rip lugs off

I have got about 4000 miles on my Ice Attack XT, and although I do agree about it’s much stiffer rubber and also the part about it hooking up good, that is, on any snow conditions, but on ice it will spin too much and a spinning track = missing lugs, no matter if it is a one or two ply! So do not try for Big mph numbers with your Ice Attack on ice, or you may find yourself saying *&$$**& as you inspect your sled at the end of that day. Single ply tracks lugs come off differently then the 2 ply. I found that when you loose a lug on the 1 ply track, it also takes some track skin with it exposing that tough wound material just under the track skin(rubber), without tearing the track. Most of my past 2 ply tracks also tore the track when losing a lug or pulling out a stud and sending it through my flap or coolers!!

Ice attack doesn't have enough lug height for our conditions, the groomed trails still have loose stuff on top and 1.22 isn't quite enough to move the snow. great speed track though, I imagine. I like little bite when we get bunch new snow also. Looking at Composit C38 or camso cobra 1.35 and studding up middle for control on the icy stuff. Absolutely hate the Ripsaw 2 1.25, considered the ripsaw 2 1.5 but not many reviews from guys on the winders or 9000 cats for durability.

I have a RTX Sidewinder 129” with a Turbo Dynamic 270 stock muffler tune I ran an ice cobra 1.6 and hated it, on hard groom trails it would just spin really bad the lugs bent right over but I will say on fluffy trails it hock up really good but you will loose so much top end ??!! If you don’t mind that it’s a great track for loose trails not that many studs in the 1.6 you have to be careful in icy conditions!! I’m putting in a 1.22 ice attack I’ve had this track before on my Apex that was charged worked really well for me !! Good luck I hope this helps !!

Back