• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stud tore through heatexchanger, overheated, wont start

sledder454

Extreme
Stud tore through heatexchanger, it started to get a little sluggish before i notice the tempture light. Came to a stop and it stalled, i let it cool and tried to refire it to get it to the road and it just cranks doesnt want to start. I was able to get it going by giving it a little throttle. Seemed to run okay when it was running, gave a small blurp of throttle still seemed to be snappy. Turn it off and tried to start again just cranks, will kick a little bit when u give it throttle. Any ideas on what to do. Or what prolly melted down in the motor? Going inspection came in the spark plug holes and compression test.

Will post picture of heated exchanger tonight

High likelihood of internal damage. My buddy had a similar situation with his Apex. It would start and run (and he drove it not knowing the heat exchanger was ripped open). Then it quit altogether. We pulled the airbox lid off and it was full of oil from getting so hot. His engine ended up being junk. Don't try to get it to run until you get it checked out. Good luck!

I will never run studs ever again for this reason. Too much risk in my opinion. Pre-studded maybe, but actual studs, never again. That's sucks man

I re-torque my studs every year hoping to prevent that from happening(15 ftlbs). Its not a 100% guarantee, but makes me feel like I tried to prevent it any way. Its amazing how many loose ones I find.

Pete

did compression test not good motor is cooked, 90/45/80 compression :die

any suggustions on where to go from here. Rebuild motor? Find used motor? part out and cut my losses? :o| :o|

Look for a used motor unless you want to spend money for a teardown/diagnosis then rebuild. It'll be cheaper/quicker/easier for a used unit.

Any suggestions on where to find a used motor? found one on ebay for $3000 seems pricey for a used motor but maybe that's what they go for. That's the only one I have found. If I have to spend that kind of coin I think I would rather part my sled out and put that $3000 towards another sled

I would pull the head off first and check to see if it's warped and then look down the holes , you may just have a warped head if so it wouldn't have compression , well it would but it would be low , I would dig in it alittle deeper to make sure before getting a new engine

May just plane the head and new head gasket ;)! A lot cheaper then an engine .

If you have full coverage your insurance will pay for it. As stated by my good friend above I have had this happen too two of my Apexes. Both times the sled was totaled. I still run studs but retorque and check them several times a season now but bad luck can still happen. I run studs still more for safety than anything. Would rather lose my motor than go into a corner or down a hill and into the trees a god knows what speed but thats me.

Really the insurance companies will cover this???? What would it fall under for the insurance company? I never would have thought they would. Its worth a shot though going to give them a call first thing Monday morning.

Heres my heat exchanger

Attachments

• IMG_0627 (956x1280).jpg
    IMG_0627 (956x1280).jpg
    622 KB · Views: 204

Back